***HAIR LOSS ISSUE****

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MamaR, Jan 24, 2006.

1. MamaR

MamaR New Member

Has anyone ever heard that having many xrays at once can cause your hair to fall out?

I have noticed since I had all of those xrays...CT Scan...MRI's...all in one day....my hair is falling out by the handfuls.

I haven't changed any meds in a long time...so that can't be it!

MamaR
  2. zreenie

zreenie New Member

MamaR,
    I have wondered if Fibro causes hair loss. All my life I had hair so thick and curly I could have been fine with about half as much. Not long after I was diagnosed it started falling out and is now very thin.

It causes everything else...why not that?!!!
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I was the same way...as I have had this disease for so long....it was thinning...but really coming out now.

It might not be from xrays. I just was wondering if it had ever happened to any of you guys.

Thanks to you zreenie

MamaR
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Mine started around 1993, but I was on Premarin at the time and I think that was the cause. But my hair really never got thicker again. It has been on the thin-ish side ever since.

I wasn't on FMS meds until 1996, so I don't think it has to do with any medication side effects.

My friend who lives in WA, who has FMS, says it is due to menopause she feels and she used to be a hair stylist. She has the same problems with her hair too.

I don't know if it is genetic to my family, to FMS, or what.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. Trena

Trena New Member

My hair was coming out real bad a while back. After shampooing the shower would have lots of hair on the drain. I started taking a Bcomplex vitamin and it has stopped coming out. See if that would help you.
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I don't know about xrays, but my friend recently had her hair fall our due to anemia. Once they started her on iron and treated her ulcers, the problem stopped.
  7. sues1

sues1 New Member

It is partly genetics and partly this illness I/we have, or that is what I think. Dr. says nothing can be done, but I do not stress about it.

It really became worse in past year and you can really see my scalp. I am older now and not as vain (HA) Thankful I had it when I was younger.

I just bought a couple of wigs and it is so easy to pin up my hair and slap on my "hat" and out the door I go. LOL.
    They look good so I feel good, as my hair always looks nice.
    I am not shy about others knowing I am wearing a wig. My feelings on this surprises me but I am glad I feel free about it.

I feel that this is one thing I could do with all else going wrong! Just take and do the best we can. I know of some that could get help on their hair. As they had thyroid problems and such.
  8. MamaR

MamaR New Member

..for the info.

To Ilovecats94 (Sue)...I am going through... or think on other side (they say) of the'pause! I guess that could have something to do with it. It is just that it started falling out so much... so fast...sort of scary!

I am not on premerin for about three years now...I am on Estroven Plus since then.
    It helps so much with symptoms....also vitamins covered there too.

Trena...I have been wondering if I should check into more B complex...I've heard that it helps with energy too.

PVlady....according to all the blood work that was recently done I am not enemic...but I am going to call the doc just to make sure.

Brooksiemom (Nancy)....they said that my thyroid was fine...so I guess that's not the problem.

Sues1....I also have hair pieces. I wear my hair up alot...just stick it on and go...so easy and looks good quick!

Knahall....I do take Evening Primrose Oil and also Flax oil. I don't color my hair. It is genetic on my moms side that our hair is slow to gray. Plus...I figure if I start I have to keep it up...and my hair has always had such a shine to it. I just wish I could KEEP it!!

I really appreciate all the good advice and to also to know that I am not alone here!! I hope that I didn't forget anyone!

Wishing you all a easy pain free day.

I will be out of here most of day....but check in soon.

MamaR
  9. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

The Dermatologist told me that having FM causes hair loss, heredity, aging, medications we take, chronic stress....ooh, I think I better stop now!!

Laura
  10. lolee

lolee New Member

my hair was always so super thick and very very curly!!

My youngest son's father is black and so he has really bad hair, when I used to cut his hair when he was little it was like shearing a sheep! the clippers would only go so far and then I would have to pull back this layer of hair, poor kid!! LOL

ANYWAY . . . . .my hair loss has been a result of "surgically induced menopause" ie: total hystorectomy at 38. The first year I didn't really notice it, but by the second year my hair was thinning, shower, brush, on my clothes, etc. and then later on I have pretty much lost all my pubic hair, my underarm is very fine and my leg hair is almost nil. I probably shave like twice a year and only then because I think I "should".

But they are right also about thyroid and anemia. But if you pre-menopausal or in the thick of it, this is also a prime time for those things to go kinda wonky too.

I surely don't mind the loss of the underarm hair and the leg hair, unfortunately I don't really feel that it was all lost. It just moved. To my face. Life is grand isn't it?

LOL!!!!!

Love,

Lolee