Hair loss? Please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjade, Apr 25, 2009.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

I don't know what is going on, but I noticed the other day that most of the hair on my arms and legs is gone. Not that I have ever had a lot of hair on arms or legs, but it is scaring me that it has disappeared. I used to shave my legs more often, and now it seems like I don't need to anymore. I have very long, thick hair on my head, and I haven't noticed any hair loss there, just on arms and legs. I am currently pregnant, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

I read a bit online, and saw this can be caused by everything from hormonal changes to thyroid conditions to other things much worse. I have never had any trouble with my thyroid, but thyroid conditions do run in my family.

Could any of this be FM related? I am really worried about this, and definitely will ask my Dr at my next appt.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Kjade -
    It could definitely be related to your hormones! Hair loss can also be a symptom of thryoid issues, but mine came out of my head in clumps (in the shower).
    When my friend was pregnant with her third (only the last one) she lost a lot of hair.

google hair loss and pregnancy or hormones.

I haven't heard of it with FM, but heck who knows!

How is your pregnancy going?! When are you due again? Hope you're feeling well!
  3. kjade

kjade New Member

Thanks Janalynn.
    I looked it up online, and did find a lot of info on this being hormone related, but I haven't lost any hair from head, eyebrows, ect.. just arms and legs. Strange.
    Everything is ok with the pregnancy; I am having a really hard time this time, physically. But the baby is perfect and healthy, so that's all that matters. I am due in July - still a way to go.
  4. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Could be related to diabetes as well...have you been checked for gestational diabetes? Any other symptoms?

5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

My grandmother totally had that. No hair on her arms or legs for years and years. She was otherwise normal, though. But she did complain of some thyroid pain. So I don't know. You should ask for a full bloodworkup.
  6. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Hair loss can also be caused by malnutrition. The new life you are growing is probably stealing all your good nutrients... I'm not sure which nutrients are related to hair loss but it's something you could look into.

Good luck!
  7. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

gb66-- you asked about the hair loss. It's also related to diabetes...have you been checked for that? Do you have any neuropathy in your legs? I would have it checked just to be safe. I don't know that you are pregnant but diabetes is a concern either way.

8. kjade

kjade New Member

Thanks everyone for replying.
    I have been checked so many times for diabetes and thyroid over the years, and the tests always came back normal. I never developed gestational diabetes with any of my other pregnancies, but my SIL has 4 kids, and she did develop diabetes with one of them only.
    I am going in this Friday for the diabetes test where I will have to drink the orange drink and then have blood drawn to determine if I have diabetes. I am also going to mention the other fears to my Dr.

I have been hunting around a little online, and I am being told that a lot of pregnant women stop growing hair on their legs while they are pregnant. Which actually is a nice perk. It is the loss on my arms that is bothering me.

GB...The Drs told my SIL after she had her 3rd baby (the one where she had gestational diabetes) that she has a much higher chance now of developing diabetes later in her life.
    According to Wikipedia, Peripheral neuropathy is the term for damage to nerves of the peripheral nervous system,[1] which may be caused either by diseases of the nerve or from the side-effects of systemic illness. Peripheral neuropathies vary in their presentation and origin, and may affect the nerve or the neuromuscular junction.