hair loss

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by earn, Sep 17, 2005.

1. earn

earn New Member

Has anyone had loss of hair since Fibro set in?

Mine is coming out by handfulls, esp on top and in front. I have not seen anything posted about this and I was wondring. Thanks-Laverne
  2. judymay

judymay New Member

Lavern my started the same thing. I started taking Biotin 500mg a day and it stops. I am a hairdrresser and this what I tell my clients also. good luck, judymay
  3. geomatos

geomatos New Member

Its become a joke around the house, I think my husband and I joke because it is so gross. the bathtub, our sheets and our bathroom floors are just covered with my hair, and when I brush it-- lets just say I am surprised that I still have hair! I was thinking that it may be related to loosing my "pregnancy hormones" but the baby is 6 mos and I am still nursing so who knows, glad im not the only one though
  4. dragenfli

dragenfli New Member

Me too! I have been so worried about this too! Ever since May mine has been coming out by the handfulls in the morning when I brush, in the shower I can feel wads of it drawl down the back of my legs then watch it go down the drain in a big brown ball and I want to go after it, and it is on all of my towels, sheets, everything! Even my mom wigged out a couple of weeks ago when she was highlighting my hair and said how I did not even have 1/4 of the hair I had 6 months ago. I asked my hairdresser who said get on B-complex which I have, faithfully now for a month but have yet to see any change. I am very freaked out over this. I have always had long, beautiful hair and I just know I will have to get it all cut up to my ears because there is hardly any left, literally.
  5. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I've been having this problem too! My Dr. started me on Thyroid medicine to see if it helps. My Thyroid tests were fine, but since I have other symptoms, she figured we should try the medicine to see if there is any change. I pretty much believe that my antidepressants could be the cause of the shedding. Most antidepressants have hair loss listed as a side-effect. If you don't suspect thyroid and aren't on antidepressants or other meds that could be causing this, then I wonder if this is just another annoying effect of FMS. I am going to start taking Biotin and see if that helps as well. Good luck to you.
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Lmmillion,
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I have been on Prozac since 1996 and one of the side effects is hair loss.

It all started in 1993, from menopause, I thought and stress. But I still hold my own and I feel it is more a problem that I'm losing it faster than I'm growing it.

My friend who is a hair stylist feels it is due to menopause in my case.

I use quality shampoo and change ever so often. The fact that my hair is oily makes it even worse looking and I have to wash it every 3 to 4 days.

I have tried to stop worrying about it and it seems to be holding it's own lately. ;-)

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

.... I have to say ... I don't have a lot of physical attributes to fall back on and losing my hair is a nightmare to me .. I really find it depressing .. but it helps to hear you guys are going through the same thing .. thanks for sharing .. sigh
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

My hair's been falling out rapidly since the FMS/CFS started, & growing back really rapidly. I've had to have it cropped really short as it's all different lengths.
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

like that.

Mine is fine. I read that Zinc helps hairloss although it doesnt seem to have worked on my daughter.

Rosie
  10. DoveL

DoveL Member

ditto..got the 'dreaded hair loss too". No ryme or reason either. I am not on any meds. either. I find it more depressinng than this disease itself. I have lost my entire life, and freedom, now my hair. Sorry I am not too cheerful on this subject, but you are not alone.

Hugs going out. DOVE PS I have tried numerous supplements to no avial either.
  11. orachel

orachel New Member

I can't touch my hair or ponytail or anything without ending up with a handful of hair...no exaggeration. I've always had REALLY thick hair, so its blessedly still looking pretty plentiful, but it sure won't be for long if this keeps up!

That is a freaky thing for a woman to deal with, for sure. And unfortunately (and embarassingly!!! lol) I have some new and bizarre hair growth in some freaky deaky places on my body. Sigh....list of symptoms I get keeps getting longer and more ridiculous by the day!

Great timing on the post. Just burst into tears when pulled out a great large hunk this morning...directly in front of my husband. As if I'm not already getting less attractive to him since so sick (though he's wonderful and would never say anything!).
  12. nina2

nina2 New Member

Mine is falling out as I'm reading this...sigh...sniff.
    It's all over the house and and it gets thinner everyday.

I agree it's a heartbreak to lose your beautiful hair,but there's not a thing that seems to work.

I keep trying to ignore it in hopes that the problem will go away, but the only thing that continues to leave is my hair.

It does help to know that your not alone in this. I just wish there was something we could do about it.
    nina
  13. jake123

jake123 New Member

Mine is coming out on top and on the right side which, incidently, I have more pain on my right side. You can visibly see my right boob muscles are affected more. My right hand is alot more painful as well as my right arm. It is always my right hip that gives out and my right ankle that throbs with pain.

I pointed this out to my doctor but he blew it off just like he did the pain. I am SO not giving him another centavo.
  14. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Mine has been getting thinner. Can't figureout if it is from fibro, menopause, genes (my mother hair is very, very thin).
    I used to have hair more like my father's family. But I have
    a bout when it thins, then starts to combe then thins again.
    Right now it is thinning (I think). I have loss all around
    the edges front and back. Also I go to do water aerobics
    few times a week. I wear a swim cap, but the chlorinated water still gets on it..don't know if this is adding to my problems or not.
  15. chickadee

chickadee New Member

I too have the thinning and fine hair. Am looking into getting a wig to wear when I absolutely have to go somewhere.

Also, wanted to ask if anyone has tried the new laser brush that "they" are selling to help thinning hair. Advertisement that I saw and read indicates that they are not saying it will regrow hair but that it helps what you have look thicker and better (and in some cases it does re-grow).

Anyway, the brushes are quite expensive but I had an offer to order one and try it for 30 days and if I didn't like it I could send it back. I used it for the first time last night and today my hair actually felt thicker! Anyway, used it again tonight and then checked the brush and it appears I'm brushing more of my fine hair out!!! So, don't know if I will be able to try it for 30 days or not!

Will let you know if this actually works......

Peace,
    Chickadee
  16. orachel

orachel New Member

I've never used it, but i've gotten taken for a ride on the ionic brush thingie, tons of straightening irons, etc...before I got sick, I was pretty much a fluffball with sarcasm added! Tried it all, and all seems useless imo. Before you spend your money, go to a website that rates customer satisfaction with a product, k?

Also, i've got thick hair, but friend has AWFULLY thin hair, and she's been thrilled with results of some thickening serums and blow dry upside down...really works for her.
    Be