Hair problem

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moi482001, Jan 12, 2009.

1. moi482001

moi482001 Member

My hair is missing in large spots on my head. It almost looks like someone shaved my head in spots. The spots are very spiky to touch and a lot a little hairs are sticking out (so I am told). It started at one end of my head and these spots of spiky hair appear all around my head to the other end and seem to be going to the top of my head. I was diagnosed with Fibro in 2000 and request to have my thyroid gland tested every 6 months. I have not changed my medication, had any shocking news or changed my hair products. Even 2 hairdressers have confirmed that they have not seen this type of problem.

All of your comments or suggestions are appreciated. My dr. has agreed to see me on Friday but I want to come equipped with some of your experiences. My dr. always listens to my suggestions. Thanks to all of you for your many posts-enjoy them and always learn something. Fibro throws so many problems our way, it's comforting to know that there is always one place to go to get info without "the look".
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Do you have Alopecia?
  3. moi482001

moi482001 Member

I have alopecia. All of my life, 60, I have had a very thick head of hair, but I will go and read on the subject again.

Thank you for repying.
  4. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Hello, I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I have very fine hair and my hairdresser was the one who noticed the bald spots and the thinning of my hair. My hairdresser did say it is common with people with fibro and losing hair.

At my hairdressers suggestion I tried a shampoo called Revive. She special ordered it for me and she wanted to see how well it worked also so she only had me pay her price. I gotta say it helped so much! It doesn't smell the greatest but my hair is much fuller and the bald spots have disappeared.

I have a friend who had breast cancer and lost all her hair. She said when her hair came back it was very fine and no amount of hair products helped her. I got some samples for her and she absolutely loves it as well. She noticed a huge difference in two weeks in the texture of her hair.

Talk to your hairdresser and see if she could get you some samples to try. You won't be sorry.
  5. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Sometimes after surgery people have a hair loss?
  6. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

Sounds like what is going on with you. It can be treated with cortisone injections. Good luck.

7. deb_46

deb_46 New Member

I'm interested in the shampoo you mentioned but could you tell me who makes it. I googled and found a couple different "Revive" shampoos and wasn't sure which one you were talking about. Thanks so much.

8. moi482001

moi482001 Member

I researced the subject and spoke to an in-law who has Lupus and had a lot of missing hair 2 years ago. She was recommended to take Nioxin shampoo, conditioner and treatment ($69.95 can.) She had great success. So I bought that and also bought Nizoral ($9. can) to kill fungus: the spots seem to puffy. Fibro weakens our immune system therefore, I thought this couldn't hurt. I also bought Biotin (B7) to encourage hair growth. I did this because all B vitamins are good for Fibro since we seem to be deficient in all B vitamins. It is recommended not to stay on Biotin.

All this and the spots are continuing to appear working their way up to the scalp.
  9. moi482001

moi482001 Member

I will re-read that one again. Thank you for caring.
  10. efaye

efaye New Member

Hey All,I have lost alot of hair in the past 5 years. I've got IC as well as Fibro. the meds I take for IC can make my hair fall out ,it is just very thin and fine now.I didn't know Fibro could make my hair come out. Appreciate any info.