Hair thinning/loss with CFS, low thyroid, or anemia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keeponsmiling, Aug 19, 2003.

1. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

Anyone else here have this problem? I noticed this starting to happen several years ago, especially around the crown. My hair is still relatively full everywhere else. I went to have my thyroid checked, but the doctor I went to said my labs were normal. (Now I realize that he didn't do a complete panel).

Now that I'm on Armour Thyroid, I'm hoping it will make a difference. I've also read where anemia can cause hair thinning.

Has anyone else had results with these treatments?

Cheryll
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Low thyroid usually causes dry, brittle, slow-growing hair, and here's some more:

Decreased heart rate and cardiac output
    Increased weight (pot belly)
    Pain where the ribs meet the sternum
    Memory loss
    Unexplained crying
    Morning headaches and dizziness
    Loss of hair, especially outside of eyebrows
    Constipation
    Ringing in the ears
    Allergies
    A frog-like husky voice
    Muscular sluggishness and weakness

Yup, sounds like you already know you need a full panel done, not just TSH. TSH doesn't mean diddly anymore and more and more doctors are now coming to realize this.

My hair became thick and full and grows like a weed now that I am no longer hypothyroid.

Marilyn :)
  3. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

Strange... I'm the total opposite. My rate of hair growth is still fast, even my scalp hair. And I have to shave at least twice a week. LOL

Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

Cheryll
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I agree with the other posters about thyroid, but I have also seen people who are taking way too many narcotics lose their hair, esp. at the crown. Hemolytic anemia can be caused by some drugs, so if you are taking a lot of meds you should ask about that too.
    My hair is mostly thinning at the front, which is the hereditary pattern for the baldness gene as it expresses in females. Many people don't realize that one in every three men have the baldness gene but so do one in every six women! It just doesn't get as bad in females, and usually just thins in front. I also have hypothyroid which is probably not helping.
    I hope you figure it out.
    Klutzo
  5. shazz

shazz New Member

I didn't notice that the thyroid meds helped my hair loss alot, I think most of it is due to my estrogen imbalance, because when I take very high doses of premarin the hair loss stops, but I have some other problems with that.
    My phsychiatrist who seems VERY knowledgeable about FM says to take a B complex vitamin with zinc included. It took about 3 weeks but I did notice my hair is shedding less these days.
    It wouldn't hurt to try it, and is sure cheap enough.

[ advertisement ]