Hairloss

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pluto, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Finally been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia as most treatments haven't worked! So this is my first visit.
    Have lost a hairbrush full of hair every day recently. Is it linked to FMS?
  2. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I think I read somewhere that it is related. I too, am losing my hair. It isn't in one section as in pattern baldness just strands all over. I heard on one of the morning shows this morning that it can also be caused by stress. One lady on the show had steroid shots in her scalp a few times a few years ago to stimulate regrowth and now is fine. I haven't talked to my doctor about it yet since I was only recently diagnosed. However, I have been getting "deep conditioning" from a salon as well as doing it at home on a regular basis. I also switch to using a pick even though my hair is straight. I have noticed some improvement in the past month or so. Hope this helps some. I'm sure some others here will have some good advice too. Welcome to the board. :)

Lisa
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Pluto, a warm welcome to our world.

I don't have a hair loss problem, and have had Fibro for 20 plus years. But I have been taking Natural Vitamin E (800IU's) a day for 30 years.

I have been taking magnesium for two years.

Hair loss is sometimes caused by stress and also certain medications as well as hereditary.

Do some research, maybe you can find the problem.

Again, welcome to the board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2003]
  4. Smokeymar

Smokeymar New Member

I was diagnosed approximately 7-8 years ago. Just lately I have gobs of hair in my comb and brush, and on the bathtub floor when I shower. I haven't had any med changes lately, and I really don't feel very stressed. Any ideas why this just started???
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had hair all over my pillow every morning when I first got Fibro. Every time I take a shower, I still end up standing in several inches of water, because hair plugs up the drain (I've had Fibro 18 yrs. now). My head has plenty of hair on it except the top front area, and it looks normal unless you stand above me and look down on my head...then you can see right through to my scalp. My hairdresser said the reason I look like I have enough hair is because my hair is naturally wavy and has lots of body. She said if I ever cut it short, I would look as bald as I really am.
    Autoimmune diseases can cause this, so get your thyroid checked if you haven't already. Some think Fibro is an autoimmune disease.
    I think the hair on my pillow when I frist got sick was due to extreme stress and fear of what was wrong with me, and I think the frontal thinning I have now is genetic. One in six women inherit the baldness gene, and all the males on one side of my family are bald. In females it usually takes the form of thinning, esp. in the top front of the head like I have. I noticed my one female cousin has the same thing.
    Klutzo
  6. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Welcome to the Board!

Do you by chance have symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and/or Leaky Gut Syndrome?

Zinc deficiency due to malabsorption can result in hair loss or baldness as occurs in alopecia areata.

LL
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2003]
  7. nina

nina New Member

Hi Pluto
    I don't know why, but I too have far more than a hairbrush full of hair coming out in the shower. I get an equal amount from the drain. One day I actually collected it and put it in a baggie to show my Dr's the actual amounts. They agreed that it is an unusual amount. It was suggested by my homeopathic Dr to try silica - the name of the pill is eqistem (it is actually horsetail). Apparently it can be from a silica deficiency and I have no idea why. Just bought the stuff last week.

Nina
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This can be a symptom of hypothyroidism, especially if your hair and skin are very dry.

Love, Mikie
  9. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi

I've been having the same problem - loads of strands just fall out whenever I put my hands near it, particularly noticeable in the shower and when I'm trying to dry it when it's wet.

Have had my thyroid checked and it's supposedly normal but I'm also menopausal. So who knows what's causing it. I hope it slows down soon or you'll be able to see my scalp.

Regards
    Gill
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Just read this in 'Prevention' magazine, thought it might interest all of you;

How fast hair grows is primarily a matter of genetics, says Franca Alphin, RD, of Duke University Medical Center.

Diet is another factor, and deficiencies in protein and calories are culprits. some experts include deficiences of omega -3 fatty acid in the list.

'If protein intake is low, your body uses what protein it gets for energy and important body functions, and hair growth is not one of those,' says Alphin.

Not enough protein slows hair growth and causes it to become brittle and dull. In situations of exteame protein deprivation, hair falls out.
    'You often see this in individuals struggling with anorexia or on extremely restricted diets,' says Alphin. As for vitamins, 'If you diet's low in protein and/or calories, then it's probably low in vitamins and minerals. Vitamins alone won't help your hair.
  11. Pluto

Pluto New Member

Thanks for all the advice. This site looks so useful!
    I am on magnesium, lots of water, relaxation as well as prayer so I'll see how it goes! Was about to get my wavy hair cut but maybe I won't in case it shows up where it's being lost from!
    Thyroid seems to be OK so it's not that. Maybe the stress of FMS getting much worse recently.
    Thanks everyone!
  12. leokat

leokat New Member

but I did start going grey at an early age. This may be genetic but my two sisters don't seem to have the same problem. Either that or they have good hairdressers and aren't telling me. ;-}
  13. marta

marta New Member

I sure hurried right over to this thread the minute I saw it. I've been losing a lot of hair since last summer when I took Klonopin. I quit taking Klonopin but the hair loss continues. The only other change I've made was from Synthroid to Armour Thyroid but my doctor said that wasn't causing it. I'm not so sure. The same doctor said..."Hair loss often occurs with aging". Yeah, but in two months??

My hairdresser did remind me that hair isn't living; that is, its' condition is determined before it leaves our scalp so products can only make superficial changes if any.

A nutritionist/pharmacist recently suggested I take Saw Palmento for the hair loss. I thought it was only helpful for prostate problems but I'm going to try it. (Rogaine, etc. evidently works only as long as you take it.)

Marta
  14. fern

fern New Member

I have had hair loss over the years too. I have FMS but also endometriosis. I was checked for thyroid but there was not a problem. For me it turned out to be hormonal. The endo was the source as much as anything. I now use progesterone cream to balance my hormones and my hair has thickened up quite a bit and I am feeling better. Do check for thyroid first though as this is one of the main reasons for hair loss.

fern
  15. Jane57

Jane57 New Member

Are you on any medications now. I was taking this one medication that really made my hair fall out. I have fine thin hair anyway and just about freaked out until I figured out it was one of the muscle relaxers I was taking. I would have to look up what it was. I take Skelaxin now and have not had the hair loss with this drug. I also take other medications, but have not had any bad reactions to any of them.
  16. momofafibro

momofafibro New Member

I'm sure that most everyone here has been checked for lupus at some point, but lupus is a BIG cause of hairloss. My hair has thickened up since I started my lupus meds. I've really been lucky. The doctors told me this same med could make my hair fall out. Oh well this is just my experience with it all. Hope it helps.

Becca
  17. JLH

JLH New Member

my Lupus. I have had Lupus for 10 years or longer (just diagnosed 10 years ago). The meds I take for Lupus have not stopped the hair loss, but keep the Lupus in check.

A determatologist told me to take iron that it would help.
  18. Pluto

Pluto New Member

This will sound very basic, but what are the main differences between Lupus and FMS? How do you know you have both?
    I get different symptoms each day. The latest is one foot hard to walk on!
  19. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I lose my hair constantly but it seems to grow back. When we were cleaning the apartment we had vacated recently, I was amazed the places that we found strands of my hair. I assume that my hair loss is associated with my thyroid condition.
  20. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I know just how you feel. In times of stress..my hair is a great barometer. I go through spurts of heavy loss.

I did change my shampoo a year or so ago..I use Natures Gate shampoos and conditioners. I have less headaches and my hair seems better for them. I tried a new one of theirs called Victorian emerald cypress. It is for energizing thinning hair. Will it work? <G>I do not know..just started using it. But I have had excellant results from the other shampoos from them.

I think stress and thyroid are the culprits. Kelp is helping me not to lose it as much too for some reason.

I grayed early..I have read several places now that a copper deficiency is the reason. Do not know..just read it several places.

Hope it helps for you to know that you are not alone!...Sherry

[ advertisement ]