Half of my face is TINGLY and NUMB

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by hermitlady, Apr 19, 2008.

1. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Last night the left side of my face started feeling strange. My lower lip got tingly and kind of numb like how it feels when novacaine is wearing off. The sensation is up my cheek, temple and a little bit of my forehead.

I hoped it would be gone this morning, but it's still there. At least it doesn't hurt. I looked at previous posts and saw that lots of folks have this in their hands and feet.

I guess I'll just wait and see if it spreads. I can actually feel it into my scalp now. I wonder if it could be a med side effect....I just started Strattera and Rozerem this week, but saw nothing listed like this for side effects.

Does this sound like just another FM symptom to anyone?
  2. sadie101

sadie101 New Member

I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. ER doctors told me this is a MS symptom. they did a CT brain scan and found no stroke,so they had me have a MRI to check for MS lesions. found no lesions. so sense fibro was a central nervous system illness they said it was most likely what was going on. have you been checked for MS?
    my tongue went numb also and couldn't taste nothing.

Sadie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Hermit,

This is just an idea since I have Chronic Myofscial Pain Syndrome which I also have in combo with the FM. There are many symptoms with this DD too. Google it and get some info on it. I am not sure about the tingling and numbness. I think that may be symptoms also but check it out. I may do so also later on.

I have lots of pain or should I call it more like tenderness all over my face, neck and esp back of my head and have had it for a very long time along with all the FM symptoms. I just though that it was part of the FM. Actually I was just dxed with it close to 2 years ago and have had it all for close to 25 years.

Now I also think I have TMJ too. Good grief !!

You might also want to talk to your doctor (rheumy) or whoever dxed you, if it continues and or gets worse. Someone on another FM Board told me about the Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome (CMPS)and mentioned it to the Rheumy and she agreed.

Hoped this helps a little. Please do keep my up to date on your situation and hope you are feeling better and (-: today hon.

Hugs and blessings,

Granni
  4. Springfling

Springfling New Member

Hi hermitlady,

It could be related, but you should call doctor to rule out other more serious conditions. Better to be safe than sorry.

Not to scare you, but some say this is how their stroke started. Of course others have had this as a symptom of Fibro also. So, I would just be sure and see what doc thinks.

5. victoria

victoria New Member

there's more than one possibility, TMJ problem is also a possibility.......

But, #1, get checked out immediately by a doctor to start with to rule out any obvious causes!!!!!!

take care,
    Victoria

6. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

This was my very first symptom 20 years ago. I fell asleep on the couch one night, my husband was working out of town.

I work up 4 hours later with this exact same symptom. Scared me half to death, thought I had a stroke since my left eye was dialated more then my other one. I called perimedics and by the time they got there, about 3 minutes, my eye was fine but my head by then felt like a block of wood.

Since my vitals were fine they told me to see my doctor the next day and I did. All in all they ran over $22,000. in tests on me. They checked for MS, Bells Palsy, tumors, did tests for abnormal brain activity, and oh so many more I cannot recall, it took weeks. I was sent to two neurologists for opinions, and a neuro surgeon, to no avail.

Mine lasted 2 days the first time without let up. Then it went away but came back a day later.

They determined in my case, due to 2 previous bad car accidents, neither my fault, that I had a pinched nerve or that my large muscle around my head was clamping so tight that it caused it.

It has gone on and off for 20 years in varying stages some mild with numb lip and so on, thought it does not happen often now, and when it does I just say that my little friend is back.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2008]
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I have a bad case of tendonitis and bursitis in my left shoulder, it's very painful right now. The pain is shooting down my arm and up my neck. It could be a nerve pinch from the inflammation maybe.

It's been coming and going all day. If it gets worse I'll see the dr for sure. I've been tested for Lyme (neg) and my face moves just fine so far. Hopefully w some extra anti inflammatories it will help.

My dh had a pinched nerve in his upper back and he felt it from his face down to his toes.
  8. Springfling

Springfling New Member

Hermitlady,

Please don't wait too long to call your doc if these symptoms persist. Any time you get things new that you have never had before, especially the one's you are describing, you should have your doc check!

It always scares me when someone talks of numbness on one side or pain in arm on one side. I'm sorry if I am being too forward, but I do care about you and don't want anything to happen.

I know you have been having a rough week and this could be from the stress and stuff, but better to be safe.

Sending best wishes and prayers your way!
    Hugs
  9. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Yes, I've had these experiences for several years. The numbness comes & goes, some times migrates on the face.

I have TMJ (30+ years), CFS, FM, myofascial pain, chronic sinusitis, etc.

I've had a brain MRI, nothing showed.

Neurologist had no suggestions, no other doc had a clue. My dentist suggested hot compresses.

I hope you find some relief. It is very frightening.
  10. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

My shoulder is still killing me, but the tinglies are gone. Just noticed a tiny bit on my lip.

Thanks for everyone's replies and concerns. I will be checking in w my Dr tomorrow.

I always think of strokes too. My father had several before he died. He had really serious problems w high blood pressure, but mine is always low.

I'm so disgusted w all the meds I'm taking right now, who knows how they interact w each other since I'm so sensitive to them. Anytime I start something new, I feel the side effects.

I don't have TMJ, but do a lot of clenching and grinding on the left side. I've trashed my teeth and worn thru crowns and bridges. I have one of those night guards to wear, but can't stand it. It ends up on the floor or in the bed, I guess I fling it out in my sleep!
  11. emah

emah Member

I had this happen to me once about a month ago. One day the left side of my mouth was numb,the next day or the day aftr my left eyelid was numb. At my next pain mgt appt. I told her about it and she noticed that the left side of my face was swollen.

She referred me to a am ENT and a neurologist. I had just gotten over a sinus infection so me being me thought that is all it was

I went to the neurologist who referred me to have an MRI on my brain vessels and the and the vessels in my neck to my brain to make sure I had not had a stroke. I will not find out the results until this Tues or Wed but will keep keep you posted if you like. I cancelled the ENT appt mainly because I just didn't have the $$ to go to all of these doctors.

I hope all works out for you.
  12. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Hermitlady,

You may want to consider you have some cranial nerve involvement contributing to your symptoms. I touched on cranial nerve function on this thread entitled <a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=1226021&B=FM#1226021/">Cranial Nerves - Vagus Nerve - Digestion - Atlas Profilax</a>.

My first post on this thread lists the 12 major cranial nerves, their function, and what may occur if impacted by injury or illness.

Best to you.

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2008]
  13. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I am still waiting for them to call me back. The sensations have been back off and on today on my cheek and lip.

I researched Effexor side effects today and found that when starting it or increasing the dose, you can have tingling sensations....so who knows.

I'll update info if they ever do call me back.
  14. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

This is exactly how I feel, tingly and numb like novacaine is wearing off, skin deep only, all over my body in patchy spots. My head and face has been the major spot of choice now for about two weeks. It is SO irritating. I keep trying to brush it away.