Hallo, Stormy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lucky, Oct 12, 2002.

1. lucky

lucky New Member

My reply is not doing what I want it to do, but I just like thank you for your info on Remeron. However, when it was offered to me, I saw myself bulging out of my stretch jeans with many extra pounds on. It was hard enough to accept 40 over the years. But, Remeron apparently is the newer or newest drug for depression, since it has different chemical components, when one takes the extra many pounds into 'stride'. However, I was told that there are newer ones which are coming on the market soon which do not have these unwanted side effects.
    However, I am on Celexa, to help mostly with the fatigue. The depression is secondary because of the fatigue which comes with it. It ist most helpful for me at the moment after trying everything under the sun. But, herbs will be no alternative for me, but weight gain not either. So, will wait and hope for better meds. Thanks Stormy.
  2. lucky

lucky New Member

My reply is not doing what I want it to do, but I just like thank you for your info on Remeron. However, when it was offered to me, I saw myself bulging out of my stretch jeans with many extra pounds on. It was hard enough to accept 40 over the years. But, Remeron apparently is the newer or newest drug for depression, since it has different chemical components, when one takes the extra many pounds into 'stride'. However, I was told that there are newer ones which are coming on the market soon which do not have these unwanted side effects.
    However, I am on Celexa, to help mostly with the fatigue. The depression is secondary because of the fatigue which comes with it. It ist most helpful for me at the moment after trying everything under the sun. But, herbs will be no alternative for me, but weight gain not either. So, will wait and hope for better meds. Thanks Stormy.
  3. stormy

stormy Guest

I understand what you mean. As a recovering anorexic, seeing 60 extra pounds patted on, is not a pleasant experience. For a while I was able to go with it because it was helpful with the sleep, anxiety, and depression. But at this point, the extra weight is not good for my body. Its so hard to find an AD that helps where needed, without unacceptable side effects. I'm told to just keep trying till you find the right one, or the right combo. But when each of those takes up to 2 months to do its work.....it just gets old. You get side effects going on, side effects coming off, ugh!
    Let me know about those new drugs you are talking about. I'm going to talk to my doc about new meds.
    Take care,
    stormy
  4. lucky

lucky New Member

Well, if you are lucky this time, you'll get my reply in a 'proper' way and hopefully this 'new' magic touch of the reply button will work.
    My knowledge about Remeron is very little at the moment, but I do know that the chemicals in the medication are not only addressing the serotonin/dopamine problems but another neurotransmitter as well.
    But, with all my research and a doctor who is helpful in finding answers for my many health problems, we both agreed - also with his own research on CFS/FM - that in my case most probably the Epstein-Barr virus I had many years ago left the damage to the neurons. And, I am more and more a firm believer of that, and also that other viruses which are yet hard to find OR only if you spend 1000's of Dollars for getting tested, might play a substantial role in these illnesses. Now, this is my belief, but my doctor also tends to agree. And in this context, he mentioned that Remeron would be a much better drug to help me with the fatigue and other symptoms.
    But, as you, I am not willing for the trade-off, having to deal with a lot of extra weight which will add more health problems. So, I wait. And I agree with you there. 60 extra pounds, unheard of. I would not know where to put these all on top of the 40 I have gained...really see myself like a rollypolly, not moving anymore.
    My Celexa was increased to 40 mg on my last visit, and from all the other drugs I had over the years, this works the best at the moment. However, I am taking Ritalin as well, which really gives me the little extra energy to leave my bed for hours and shop and enjoy the little things I like to enjoy and the big things have to wait for later when more help is hopefully available for all of us.
    How are you doing or were doing on the Celexa? What side effects if any?
    I will keep you posted whatever I will learn from my doctor in the time to come. Kind regards, Lucky
  5. stormy

stormy Guest

The celexa wasn't a bad med, as far as side effects are concerned. But I don't remember it doing a whole lot for the fatigue, pain, depression or anxiety. I think it was probably mildly helpful, but not quite what I hoped for. I'll be interested to hear if there is something new and good for us. Do you have CFS or FM or both? I'm traveling next month to a holistic clinic that I have several friends who have had great success there. I'm afraid to get my hopes up too much though, because as I'm sure you've found, many new things we try and get excited about end up letting us down.
    But when it comes to our health, we can't give up. We just have to keep on trying until we can get the best quality of life possible for us.
    Keep me informed on how you are doing and any new info.
    Take care
    stormy
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

Stormy, thanks for your note. I have both, CFS and FMS for at least 15 yrs. However, I am very realistic and have learned and accepted that there is very little, except what I am doing with meds and some alternatives, the illness is too severe mostly which shows that there is much more at stake in CFS/FM than people want to see. It is not amalgan or any other chemicals, sure they do play a role, if the body is not funtioning to begin with, but they are never the cause. I have promised myself when joining this board, not to read silly messages which will confuse those people who just have been diagnosed with these illnesses.
    However, since I am a very firm believer that these illnesses are caused by viruses and having tried a lot of other ways to get relief in the past, I have also learned that mostly they did not help.
    The Celexa, due to my doctor, is helping greatly with the fatigue which I seem to agree with. My anxieties and depression are secondary. With the fatigue, all these symptoms creep up which is understandable.
    But, like anybody else, I am very open to any suggestions, to make my life much easier and that's why I joined as well to find out more answers like a lot of other members.
    Right now, I am suffering a great deal because of the weather change and am sooooo tired.
    Take care and hope to be in touch, Lucky