Hand Tremors

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teacher, Feb 12, 2007.

1. teacher

teacher New Member

I have noticed in the last three months that my hands will be ok and then all of a sudden they will start shaking. It's not for very long, but long enough that it makes it hard to hold on to whatever is in my hands at that moment.

Is this something new and exciting in the world of CFS or is it something new and exciting in the world of aging?(I'm in my early 40's)

Thank you for listnening.
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Here's a great article from the Cleveland Clinic which tells about the different types of tremors and what causes them:

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/DISEASEMANAGEMENT/neurology/tremor/tremor.htm

Jan
  3. ask2266

ask2266 Member

My hands shake when I'm overstimulated, that is overdo it. That's when I need to turn off the TV and lie down in the dark.
  4. Rnclegal

Rnclegal New Member

Hi

If you can dig back through all the threads there are several posting around the first of Feb that deal with Hand tremors and muscle jerks. I think we discovered that most of us have tremors and muscle jerks that are dangerous, painful and incapacitating. And no something that is really mentioned in the offical literature until you really start digging into the research. When I first told my doc about them he was puzzled. Now that Ive done the research I know its part and parcel of this "syndrome" where life just gets more interesting every day. My tremors are so bad I can no longer write with a pen....and my muscle jerks reacted the other day allowing a piece of cheesecake to land on my head. Yikes. Gotta laugh or you would spend your life crying (I do a lot of that too it seems)

Carolyn

5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I too have tremors and a unspecified "movement disorder". I am on Mirapex and it seems to have eliminated them for now.

Have you noticed any particular other symptoms that occur along with these tremors? Or do they follow exertion? My hand can get shaky when my blood sugar is low and I have worse "resting tremors" that effect my head, arms and legs. These generally occurred after exertion.

Of course just because PWCs can have tremors if these are new to you I would recommend you don't assume it is just another CFS symptom. I would talk to your doctor.

Good luck,

Shar
  6. KerryK

KerryK Member

I too have periodic tremor problems in one hand/arm. I went on a trial of low dose of Mirapex and it seems to mostly clear up the problem. I find that on Mirapex I also have fewer days of a weak/shaky feeling after exertion. I am now on mirapex for the long term.

Good luck!
  7. teacher

teacher New Member

for your replies. I shall investigate what's going on.

8. sniffles

sniffles New Member

I have had big problems for several yrs now. They have gotten much worse since I have had this DD. The Dr. has finally decided that I have what is called essential tremors. I get so bad at times that it is almost impossible to hold a glass of water or try to write. It seems like when I am really stressed over something or really tired, it is much worse. When I go to a luncheon and need to carry my plate, I have people wanting to carry my plate for me. I am also on mirapex, but I take it for restless leg syndrome. I have been on inderal for the tremors for several yrs. now. I know that the mirapex has been great at quieting my legs down at night. Maybe it has been helping my tremors some to. We never seem to get one problem solved before we come down with something else going wrong. Thank goodnes we have this support group to ask about any thing new we seem to come down with.
  9. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

I started with occassional hand tremors...I looked like a drug addict going through withdrawal ;)

I still get them, but now I get that sensation through my whole body. You can't really see it, but when we lay in bed it feels like I am in a sleezy hotel with a vibrating bed! Not bad...no quarters!

Joann
  10. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

My tremors really backed off with Myhill's protocol:
    NadH, coq10, acetyl-l-carnitine, magnesium, b12. It could always be coincidence, but I think this stuff really helps.
  11. teacher

teacher New Member

I have an appt. next month with my GP. Will bring this up to him then.

I am currently taking CoQ10 and the magnesium is mixed with the calcium I take. I usually take all of the B vitamins together, as in B-50 Complex, but lately, that has been too strong. Maybe I need to try the B-12 by itself?

Haven't looked into NadH or acetyl-l-carnitine. Where's my book? :)
  12. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

The thiamine (B1) in the B vitamins can cause tremors if you aren't getting enough magnesium. It increases the production of acetylcholine...

Jan
  13. dlark

dlark New Member

Hi Teacher,
    My guess after many CFS years, is that the hand tremors are part of general CFS muscle weakness. I am 48 and I have increased hand tremors along with more chest palpitations. It seems like the muscles will quiver, or jiggle (covered in Dr.Bruno's book) However, I am in the middle of menopause and these symptoms have gotten worse. When I first got CFS at 30 -35 yrs of age, these symptoms were also severe. Hope it helps.