Hand/wrist and Foot/ankle pain anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laurakay, Jan 8, 2003.

1. laurakay

laurakay New Member

Does anyone else have a major symptom of hand and wrist pain and/or foot and ankle pain? I thought my hand and wrist pain was carpal tunnel until it started in my feet, too. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, it's just there when I get up and still there when I go to bed. I don't appear to have any inflammation, but it sure does feel like arthritis. At 26, I'm hoping that there's something that can be done to help this!!!

Any ideas or advice?

2. tedebear

tedebear New Member

you had better hope and pray it isn't an early onset of arthritis. I live with it daily and I am twice your age.
    God Bless! Take care. Use heat and very soft hugs.

Check it out with a rheumatologist. Won't hurt to ask.
  3. Kimba

Kimba New Member

Do you have and tingling in your feet or hands. If you do you could be looking at either FMS or Carpal and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. In any direction you are looking at nerve pain.

The tingling is a real good sign of it. You should get to a doctor that knows about FMS and arthritis.

Good Luck and I hope your pain goes away. I use heat for my pain, but some people also use ice. Try one or the other to find out which one works better for you.

Make sure that doctor gives you some pain relief while they are trying to figure out what is wrong. You should not suffer with pain once you are under a doctor?s care. If the pain pills he gives you are not strong enough call and tell him and get better ones. Don't live in pain, I did for 10 years before I went to the doctor and it almost cost me the ability to walk. I waited way to long to go.

Take Care and Be Well

4. laurakay

laurakay New Member

I have been diagnosed with FM by a rheumatologist. I'm going back to my primary care dr, however, to get further care because the rheum. was not very good. All she gave me was amitryptaline which I don't want to take. I also have fatigue and back, hip and chest pain, but this hand and foot pain is the worst for me right now. The rheum. suggested physical therapy. Should I expect this to work for this kind of pain or do I need to try something else??
  5. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Laura:

I have developed hand, wrist, finger pain recently with the onset of foot pain. Wonder if there is any connection?
    My wrists hurt s o much I can't hold a cup, book, or open jars, etc. Very painful, but no numbness or tingling to indicate a nerve problem. I use an ace wrap with a heating pad in it - just microwave it and it helps. I also get a good massage, including hands and feet.
    the feet hurt on the bottoms and it is very painful to walk. Just what we need, another symptom! I don't do much, cause I don't know what to do for them? I just walk with pain.
    Hope you are feeling better, and wonder if anyone else has this pain???
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I just can't imagine someone as young as you with this kind of problem.

I do get both sometimes, I would say its a type of arthritis. I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin for it. It seems to have it under control.

My feet were so bad, that I would have to hang on to the walls at night if I got up for a bathroom run, and when I got up in the morning.

In my hands, it would feel like electrical shocks, I would pick up a cup or anything and it would just fall out of my grip.

The 'Joint Support' did help a great deal. I only get this now and then now.

You can go read about it at the 'Store' link, some good information there.

Sure hope you find something to help soon. Geee, you are much too young for all this!

Shalom, Shirl
  7. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I have chalked it up to the FM. Sometimes, I just sit and rub my hands. I can't open bottles or cans, etc. My ankles are awful too! I tried to run across the street the other day and almost fell. They ache constantly. Since my symptoms sound the same as yours and we both have FM.......
  8. hap

hap New Member

laurakay, i have the same pain in wrist and hand and also thought it was carpaltunnel but it's the fms. Some days i can't even open the pull top catfood cans to feed my cats.

I have the tingling and numbness in my feet and toes along with severe pain. Sometimes my toes are so sore, my socks hurt them. i use moist heat packs sometimes several times a day to get some relief. It works some and doesn't work some.

the one plus for now the feet are better and i'm mostly dealing with the wrist/hand pain. That's what is so weird about this stuff...you never know what's going to hit next!
  9. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Try glucosamine & chondroitin -- it may take up to 4 months to work, but it could have great results. My rheumatologist swears by it.
  10. Hasbeen

Hasbeen New Member

I've had the wrist, hand and finger pain for serveral years. I just started having the foot pain in 99. The rhuemy I was going to said I had Arthiritis and FM. He was treating my RA with some high power meds. Everytime I went back to him he would say how are you feeling? I would tell him that I still was hurting. He told me that he had the RA under control and I needed to get past this FM thing. Oh boy was I hot!!! I quit taking the meds and I have not been back to him either. No need in taking all those meds if they didn't help. So I think that it's FM. I don't think FM has any set rules. I think it does whatever it wants to. I have had to go to the ER for the foot pain. It will get to hurting severely and pain meds will not ease it. They give me a shot to knock me out and send me home. I walk on crutches for a few days and it goes away just as quick as it came. I have swelling in my wrist, ankles and fingers.
    They say that fibro doesn't swell. But I know I have the swelling and I know that arthiritis meds don't help it.
    I'm going to my family doctor now. He doesn't think it's all in my head but he don't know what to do no more than you or I. I've been to 2 more rhuemies and I didn't get any help from either one of them either. My doctor has set up an appt. for me to go to a pulmonary doctor for sleep study.
    He thinks maybe my fatigue is caused from a sleep disorder. But I don't think I will be able to go to sleep with all those wires on me in a hospital. I don't know! I get so frustrated with it all. I'm only 36 years old and I feel like an old woman. It drives me crazy because I can't do the things I used to do. Laura I hope you find some answers. If you do let us know.
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Marcus and I both told you what helps, and you have completely ignored us!

Here is another try to help you, my husband had a bone spur in his elbow (this is a form of arthritis), he went to the doctor, they gave him cortisone shots and medication. It healed it, BUT it was back worst than before in two weeks time after the shots and oral medication.

I (again) urged him to try the 'Joint Support' (Glucosamine and Chondroitin), he hated the shots they gave him, so he did what I said. In a week all the swelling and inflammation were gone. He continued to take it for another month, just to be sure. It did not come back.

He now takes Joint Support for a few months, then stops for a month, then resumes taking it. He has never had a problem with that elbow since. No, he does not have Fibro, but this was just something that started up no doubt from hitting his elbow at work, and not paying attention to it when it happened. It showed up later.

It also healed a bone spur in my heel, that was very painful. I could not walk on that foot for months. I took the above for about four weeks, and it seemed to shatter the spur, it felt like I had slivers of glass in my shoe for a week, then it just healed completely. I did not get this again. That was 7 years ago.

I take the Joint Support about six months out of a year, for a preventive measure.

Alright, I will not bother to mention this again, either you try it or you don't!

Have a goodevening.

Shalom, Shirl
  12. laurakay

laurakay New Member

I am going to try the glucosamine and chondroitin. Have you ever heard of anyone trying any kind of physical therapy with this kind of pain and having any success at it? The rheumy pretty much wanted me to try amitryptaline first before we did anything else, and I'm not going to try that, so I'm looking for alternatives.
  13. healing

healing New Member

I have exactly this pain and in my case it's due to Reiter's Disease. My original rheum told me that it usually affects the extremeties (feet, ankles, hands, wrists) and lower back, as well as the other symptoms listed below (by the way, I'm a woman):

"Reiter's disease is an abnormal reaction of the body to infection. It is uncommon, and is a condition that affects men far more than women, the ratio being about ten to one.

"It's diagnosed by the pattern of symptoms it causes, since there's no specific test for it. Burning or stinging felt when passing urine called urethritis is usually the first symptom noticed. Then pain in the joints (particularly the knees and the ankles) appears a few days later. The third diagnostic symptom is conjunctivitis, which follows afterwards.

"Some men also find that areas of their skin become cracked and thickened, and that they suffer Achilles tendonitis.

"Men aged 16 - 35 years old are most often affected and, although it's precise cause remains a mystery, it follows a sexually transmitted non-specific urethritis (NSU) infection in one in fifty people affected. For fewer people, (one in 500), it follows an attack of dysentery due to salmonella or shigella infection.

"If there's a possibility that it's been sexually acquired then other infections such as chlamydia and gonorrhoea should be excluded, and a gentle reminder about using condoms given.

"In general, patients with Reiter's disease are treated with a course of antibiotics to eliminate any remaining infection from the body. For the joint pains, anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen works well, as do concentrated ginger supplements.

"Since relapses can occur, it's important to keep the immune system strong by getting plenty of rest, eating enough vitamin C, iron, and zinc in the diet, and not smoking."

*****Now for the caution: do not take chondroitin & glucosamine if you are allergic to shellfish.******
  14. LLWhit

LLWhit Member

Hey there! So finally after YEARS of trying to figure out why I have been have ankle and wrist aches. I was getting so tired of not being able to fall asleep because of it, or randomly happening through out the day and really putting a damper on my mood. I once went to a doctor and got x-rays and still no solution. But, here, a year later, I was so excited I fixed the struggle I faced for years that I went online to find people with same problem as me so that I could help them! After the Doctor told me it was probably just something I was going to have to deal with the rest of my life, I lost motivation about trying to find a cure. - The cure was not what I expected. One day my mom (who has the same issue) handed me a book called 'Wheat Belly'. That book changed my life! I cut out all Wheat from my diet (which is explained in the book, must read) After cutting WHEAT (as well as gluten-free) from my diet, my ankles and wrist stopped bothering me! I couldn't believe it! How could Wheat be the cure?? I wanted to test and make sure it was really the wheat, so a few weeks later I had wheat pasta noodles with spaghetti sauce, that night, the aches in my ankles kept me from falling asleep.
    I know it sounds crazy, but its helped for me and many others! My advice would be to get the book and try it out! I love peanut butter and jelly since I was a kid, and my favorite food is spaghetti so cutting wheat out was not settling with me, but I was determined.
    Good news, I found a bread safe to enjoy, it is wheat free, gluten free and soy free, and tastes good (from Trader Joes).
    Hope this helps! Any questions please ask.
    Have a blessed day!
    Nanie46 likes this.
  15. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

You do not need to have gluten intolerance or bone spurs in order to experience the foot and hand pain of fibro and/or ME. Joint pain is a common symptom. Nerve pain in hands and feet is a common symptom. So are tingling, burning and general pain. I have experienced these symptoms for many years. I eat gluten-free but I still get this pain if I overdo stuff. My doc does not think it's arthritis, or nerve problems per se or bone spurs, or anything 'wrong' with my joints or bones. Pain is a major part of both these illnesses and something that I personally find best managed by pacing my activities. Sometimes I feel better and get a bit careless. In the spring, I did four yoga classes that sent me into a flare that has lasted all summer: my feet hurt all the time, they ache, they burn, they hurt to put weight on. My hands burn and tingle. My legs ache and cramp and tingle and have slow-electric-shock nerve pain. Yes, I've tried all the stuff like B12 , magnesium etc. This pain will go away gradually if I pace myself more carefully again. So, eat gluten-free by all means, and take whatever for healthy joints -- but also accept that this type of pain is very common and a well-accepted part of this diagnosis of fibro and/or ME/CFS. I hope your pain will get more manageable soon! Good luck!

16. arthur564

arthur564 Member

I had that and then found a video on ankle arthritis that made understanding it very easy.
  17. Iyogaprops

Iyogaprops Member

Yoga could be very good for the joints! If there's a yoga studio near you, you probably could ask if they offer special classes that focus on relieving stress/pain among muscles and joints. There are also a bunch of yoga DVDs (found at the iYogaProps[.]the word 'com'[.]au/retail/yoga-dvds-cds ) that focus on wrist/ankle injury just make sure to read up on what they each have to offer!
  18. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

Definitely so many of our symptoms can be reduced/eliminated with the use of high quality supplements. I personally believe that most of us are deficient in a variety of vitamins and minerals. Joint pain can also be a sign of magnesium deficiency and I believe also potassium. The glucosamine and the chondroitin will definitely cause you no harm...but the burning question is to KNOW what the issue is...and to have arthritis (or anything else) ruled out. Doctors are too fast at assuming every new ache and pain as being FM, when it could be something else.

Also, keep a journal - are there certain times of the day that you experience this? All of the time? Is there any correlation between foods you are eating and the pain?

For me, I go onto youtube and search for ankle pain/wrist pain exercises - and see if using those can also be of assistance.

You sure don't appreciate how well your body works...until it doesn't!
  19. Belinda344

Belinda344 Member

I have a relative wehre the chondtrotion glucosamine combo didn't help them any
  20. Alyssa-Admin

Alyssa-Admin Active Member

I've been doing yogalates but stopped for a week as I felt may have been hurting myself more than helping...