handbags

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by glenda2, Aug 31, 2005.

1. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

hi i was just wondering what type of purse or shoulder bags you all use. i can't seem to carry one any longer. i just take a light weight change purse but would like to have somethinf just big enough for money and meds.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/31/2005]
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I use a shoulder bag about 10" X 8", with a built in wallet. When I carry it, usually I change arms frequently, put it in the basket in a store, tie a knot and carry it on my arm, etc. The size accomodates most things I need. I use to carry a much larger bag but had to stop due to my myofascial problems in the upper back/shoulders, etc.

I've tried a back pack that is more ergonomically correct, but it seemed awkward for me. Usually, the ones that are carried on the waist just aren't large enough. I have my glasses and medications that I always carry around.

If I can get away with it, I'll leave the purse in the car hidden away and just take keys. Sometimes when I'm with my husband, I just leave everything in the car so I don't have to worry about it all and have arms free etc. I get so tired walking around anyway that when I carry my purse, it just adds to the fatigue.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  3. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I used to only carry small ones, and I love the kind w/ the built in organizer wallet thingy that just zips open. But now that I live so far out, and an into city trip leaves us there all day, I need a much bigger one.

the lightest one I found is a canvas burlap type bag w/ lots of pockets, so I know right where everything is. the lightness makes a huge difference, machine washable too.

I'm also going to order an organizer wallet, that I can just carry sometimes. It carries pen, calculator, cards, several compartments for money, coupons (love my coupons), keys and checkbook.

Jeanne
  4. angelstarr

angelstarr New Member

Has anyone tried the Healthy back bag? they make them is several sizes and they sort of sling over your shoulder. they are tear dropped shapped and most of the weight is distributed evenly around the back so your shoulders don't get so tired. I have 2 a large and a small one the small one is plenty big for every day. in fact I wish they made an extra small. It has many pockets inside and out and the inside is a light color so you can see your belongings. I use the large one if I am going to be going somewhere or traveling for the day or longer. You can fit meds and a book, many things for travel. It would make a nice carry on for travel.
    The hitch is they are not cheap. I got the micro-fiber ones and they wash beautifully but they were 60.-80.00. They also come in leather. If you do a search for "healthy back bag" you will come up with the site.
    Recently I have seen them in a different catalog for 10.00 in a denim material. I think it was a knock off but the same idea was there and it had the same pockets outside.
    I think it was "Walter Drake" or "Doctor Lenard" (not sure of the spelling of Lenard)

thats my 2 cents

Hugs
    Angel
  5. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Constant problem for me too. I switch handbags a lot, many times carry one that does not go over the shoulder.

I also lighten it as much as possible. The heavier it is the more it hurts.

Do you ever feel like you have bowling balls attached to your arms pulling them out of the socket?
  6. shepsgirl

shepsgirl New Member

I carry a small brown leather backpack that can switch to an over shoulder bag if needed. It's small and lightweight but I can fit my small wallet, even a diaper or two and babywipes if needed (since carrying a purse and diaper bag is way too much). If on days when even that is too much, I carry just my wallet and I have a small round pill case that can hold my meds for a short trip.

shepsgirl
  7. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

thanks everyone. i'll have to look into the healthy bag.anything to help.
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I too leave my purse in the car as much as I can. If I have pockets, I carry my keys, cell phone and debit card and driver's license in my pockets.

I also have a cell phone wallet that has a strap for your wrist. The cell phone goes in one pocket and there are pockets like for credit cards, etc and a zipper part for $.

I have to make sure when I buy a purse that it has a wide strap because a thin one sits right in the joint of my shoulder and arm and presses on the nerve so eventually I get numbness and tingling in my hand and fingers.

Ironically, even though this has happened many times, it will still take me days to figure out why my hand is going numb!!! DUH!

Sonya
  9. BethM

BethM New Member

You can get the Healthy Back Bag through LL Bean. It'll be the real deal, not a knock off that may or may not be designed properly.

I love mine, but also switch around to different purses. The same load can feel heavier or lighter depending on the structure of the purse.

I never buy a purse that is heavy when it is empty!

Can't use a 'fanny' pack, as it aggravates my lower back.

I try to carry as little as possible, but have to have my meds, and tissues, and a place to put cell phone, sunglasses, reading glasses,wallet, date book, etc etc. I don't know how people do it who carry next to nothing!

This is a real problem for many of us. If we go somewhere, my darling spouse does most of the toting.

my 2.5 cents!
    Beth.
  10. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

and yes it may show us brits in a bad light but i really loved this.

a local station vibe fm did a dj swap and had an american guy over here for a bit and sent him to london for what he thought of it.

he came back to the station w/ a thick lip!

on a double decker bus he went and sat up the top,turned and noticed what we brits call a bum bag and said to this woman i like your fanny pack.

she didnt even look twice,she stood straight up and floored this poor guy over a miss understanding.

well he didnt understand either what had just happened and it was explained live on air.

call me sick but i still laugh now.
  11. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I've only had 1 or 2 purses that I could actually put over my shoulder, and not be miserable.

One thing I always do is to use a shopping cart whether I need it or not. I can put my purse in the child seat area, and don't have to lug it all over the store.

I looks kind of funny when I get to the check out counter, and all I have is a couple of boxes of kleenex! But, it sure makes shopping easier when you take that weight off your shoulder, and back.

Kinsie
  12. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I have been searching for the perfect purse for years. I feel like Goldilocks again.... one is too small, one is too big, one is uncomfortable.... can't seem to find the "exact" mission.

I wonder if this is the woman's "holy grail"that she's looking for. lol
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  13. BethM

BethM New Member

we should have a great purse exchange! I know I have several I bought and don't like and never returned to the store.

wish we could do this, would be fun.

peace,
    Beth.
  14. JLH

JLH New Member

I have one of those Vera Bradley purses. They are made of quilted cloth, with a pattern on the bottom half and a plaid or different, but matching/coordinating, material at the top.

It has long enough straps to through over my shoulder, and enough zippers and compartments to suit me. It's lightweight, but where it is bigger, I tend to fill it up too much!!

I have always carried a large handbag and had it stuffed with everything. Carrying it over my shoulder has always hurt my shoulder, too. I am always planning to empty it, and change to a smaller one, but I never do!

Old habits are hard to break!

jlh
  15. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi.
    I use a small purse, about 6"x10", with a very long strap, and I sling it across my body. That way my hands are free, and I am balanced (well, physically, anyway. :)).
    I started this when I used to work with dogs, and kept it once I started getting really weak.
    It fits money, credit cards, medical info., checkbook and a few small things. If I need to take anything extra, I take it in my old purse, and leave that in the trunk of the car.
    Terry
  16. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

well believe it or not i found something to try at walmart.i guess you would call it a wristlet. it is alittle bigger than a change purse and it has a strap you can put around your wrist. it holds my money (What little i have) my debit card my license and my cell phone. i can carry it with my hand and if i get tired of that or just drop it the handle around my wrist catches it. it doesn't look cheap but it was. it was on clearence for a whole dollar. it looks like a knock off of liz claborne. i still jusy like the dollar part the best.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/01/2005]
  17. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I just went "purse" hunting this week! I do think a purse exchange would be great - there are some that I like but no longer use and are just sitting around. hee hee

I have thought about making one for myself - a bag, not a purse - because there is so much to take everywhere with meds, phones, cards, kid stuff that it is difficult to find the purfect one. I have thought about crocheting one & I read above that someone has a quilted one. Hummm. . .I just may have to do that.

Kelly
  18. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

When shopping, I just take out the fanny pack and go.The tote hold everything else that I might need for the day!