Handicap Plaquards?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hatbox121, May 15, 2009.

1. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

Anyone have a handicap plaquard or liscense? How did you go about getting it? It's become increasingly difficult for me to even walk to the grocery store, let alone actually shop! If I could cut down on the walking to the store perhaps I could get most of what I need.
  2. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

Yes, I have a plaquard.

I picked up the form at the tax office where I pay for the car's license plate. I took it to my doctor's office when I went for a visit. He signed it, I took it back to the tax office . I gave them the form and $1.00 and they gave me the plaquard.

Good luck,

3. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

Thanks Cindy. I'll call my DMV on Monday and ask them about it.
  4. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

I printed the form off of the Division of Motor Vehicles of NJ. Filled out the part I had to and took my form to my doc and she filled out the medical part and I took it back to Motor Vehicle and they gave me my placecard. I also did the same thing for my MIL today
  5. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

All I had to do was go to the drivers license facility, & pick up a paper for my doctor to fill out. He basically signs it saying you need it either temporarily (& he/she will fill out amount of time), or it will be a permanent one. Once they sign it, take it back to the license facility, & they send it into the state. You should have your placard w/ in a week. Good luck!!
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I got one about a year ago, at my sister's urging, and am very glad I did. As everyone else said, I got it through the DMV. I do think there's an on-line form (I'm in California), and my doctor had to sign it, and it was very simple. They renewed it this year without me having to do anything. I had resisted getting one for several years, I guess partly out of embarrassment - I didn't want to face dirty looks or comments because I look very healthy, but so far no one has said a word. It does help a lot when my energy is very low, and the walk from the parking lot might do me in.

Good luck!

7. I asked my dr. for a script SHE GAVE ME A 5 YR one and took it to the dmv . I love having mine, I just can't walk that far anymore and have a bad knee on top of the fibro. I get stares but ignore them. My husband said if they say you don't look handicapped, say AND YOU DON"T LOOK LIKE A DOCTOR !

Now with us baby boomers its hard to find a handicapped spot!
  8. Achyten

Achyten New Member

My hubby and I were in the drs office at the same time when I asked for a handicap placard,,, and the dr. said "I can't give you one,,, but I can give your husband one"...
    My husband is 10 yrs older than me,,,he has arthritis in the neck,,,but I wasn't allowed one.
    Can you get that? How crazy is that!
    So hubby got one,,, and I do use it when I go up town,,,but if I was caught i'm sure i'd have
    to pay a hefty fine,,, or worse.
    I"m the same as you's,, who hates to park far away when I have parcels or groceries to haul,,,
    very weak and sore after shopping,,,not only that sometimes I can't find my car,, which makes matters worse......so i'll continue to use the placard.
    It's just not right!!! I"ve had fms, cfs,and a long list of other things,,,for 25 yrs..
  9. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Did you ask your Dr/ WHY he would not give you one? I think I would have.

It is obvious he does not understand how FMS/CFS affects you! I think I'd find a dr. who is a bit more knowledgeable AND sympathetic!

The Rhuemy who dx my FMS told me that she did not do this for her fibromyalgia patients because she wanted them to walk. I walked alright! Right out her door never to return again!

When I told my GP what she said he filled out the paperwork without hesitation.

I work in a facility where we have to fight for parking spaces unless we get to work a half hour Some walk three blocks or more and there is no way I could walk that distance and then sit at my desk and work afterwords.

10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

For those of you who have been able to get a placard, what diagnosis did your Dr put down?
  11. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

I got the paper work yesterday from my Rhume . doc I just need to take it to MDV or DMV what ever the right one is .. Mine is a temp tag.. not sure how long its good for yet. but will post and let you all know how it goes... it had to be a temp one as I am not on SSD .

I'll post after my trip to DMV .
  12. 3gs

3gs New Member

I have had a placard for over 10 yrs. Couldnt live without it.

I chose to get the placard over plates then that way if someone else is driving I can take it with me. Also request 2 one stays in my car one to take.

It doesnt matter that doc wrote for u or hubby as long as u use it. They do not police this(for poster worried). Mine was a one time fee then they renew(no form)every year or two. semi-permant you will have 2 renew when up with new letter from doc. Kinda dumb they wouldnt give permanent one.

I did not have to say why needed doc just needed to sign form. Whats up with docs saying no? Its not a big deal.

sure makes it easier
  13. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

the doc has to put the reason and there are only a few acceptable reasons, that's why I am wondering what other doc wrote
  14. daylight

daylight New Member

It took me 3 years to get a permanent placard. At first when I had only a FM and spondy. diagnoses they keep saying to walk more . So I did and hurt myself really bad. Then I got the temp card in 2007 for 6mo. . After that we lost the ins. . It took several Gp's,2 Neuro's,2 optho.1 OT and 1 fantastic rd to diagnose RA. Yeah it took a village. After that the Gp i was seeing we had to fire . But the next one i had had no problem in filling out the form for a permanent placard.
    But like others have said "good luck finding that parking space". Where I live there are bunches of people illegally using these placards and taking up all the spaces.
    But that happens everywhere.
    Anywho , Just keep trying . Explain to your doctor that you falling in a parking lot and breaking a bone won't help speed your recovery any.
  15. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Not sure what state you are in. I am in AZ .. the form has several conditions listed . Like
    1.Unable to walk 200 ft without stopping to rest
    2. unable to walk without help from anohter person
    3. lung disease
    4. uses portable oxygen

stuff like that there are 6 total ... along with hearing inpaired,

it has a box the Doc fills out . they only had two choices on this form . Permantly physically disabled. and Temporily Physically Disabled .. Good for only 6 months...

since I am not on disibilitly she did the temp.

says on the form just bringinto to MVD

anyway I wish you luck and myself.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2009]
  16. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

WOW. It did take a village! I did call my dr today to see if she'd be willing to sign it. Who knows if she will. Ah, about the falling, I do have osteopenia so I am at high risk for broken bones! I'm being tested now for something that's basically a dx for "we don't know yet". Supposedly it's a dx that will narrow down to RA, lupus, etc. Hmmm.......maybe that'll make it easier for them.
  17. my rheum. dr told me that i was not entitled to one with my condition, so I asked my primary dr. and she willingly gave me one, she has lupus so maybe she understands.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2009]
  18. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

My primary dr office just called and I can come pick up the paperwork tomorrow. I had forgotten to ask the rheumy when I went yesterday and her office is 2 hrs away. I called the primary this morning and asked. WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!
  19. 3gs

3gs New Member

Yeah! Am so happy for u

WOW Iam so surprised how hard it is for some of you to get these. How involved it is.

Problem I have is not people miss using them(how can u tell that?) but people parking there that dont have them! Then if u say something they yell or look at you like u have no right! HELLO! IM THE ONE WITH THE HANDICAP SIGN!

There was a group that could ticket when people were caught. Would like to say tho DONT FORGET TO HANG IT UP-I forgot one day(ut u are not supposed to have hanging all the time)and a cop stopped but was nice because I limp so he could see I was legit but warned me to remember to hang it.