handicapped placard?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BexinTex, Aug 20, 2008.

  1. BexinTex

    BexinTex Member

    does anyone use a handicapped placard? how did you bring it up to your doctor?

    some days i feel like i can't even get out of bed let alone walk across the parking lot... and other days I do fine. Does that constitute a need for a placard?
  2. dragon06

    dragon06 New Member

    I just asked my doc for it and she said fine and signed the form.

    I would just ask your doctor if they are willing to sign the form for you.

    On the days you feel fine then just don't use the placard.
  3. ziasss

    ziasss New Member

    I asked him what was involved in getting one. They filled out this paper that I took it to the DOT office and she said "How many do you need?" Thats all there is to it. I put off asking til I could barely make it inside anywhere.

    You should be fine, just ask him!

  4. DeborahLynn

    DeborahLynn Member

    I just asked my GP what was involved with getting one, and he helped me, no problem.

    Having the placard has helped me so much! Don't hesitate to get one!


  5. charlenef

    charlenef New Member

    i went to the town hall and got the paper work and took it to the dr to fill out
  6. dafoefan

    dafoefan New Member

    I am in California. I downloaded the form from the DMV internet site. I then took it to the doctor.

    He wasn't real comfortable because I am younger and "don't look sick". He was worried someone would hassle me or scratch up my car, etc. Also, I got the "you need to walk" Bulls**t.

    I explained that when we go to the races, for example, I am spending so much time walking from the parking lots that are sooo far away that I'm not able to walk around when I get inside. I tried to point out that I would like to use the little bit of energy to enjoy where I'm going not killing my self getting there.

    With all that, I got him to agree. I then went to my local Automobile Club office of which I'm a member and they took care of everything quickly while I was able to sit.

    I recommend anyone get an Automobile club membership if they can, as everything for you autos can be done there and it is so much easier.

    HTH, Lisa
  7. mjwarchol

    mjwarchol New Member

    I asked my doctor if he would consider signing the form for a placard for me. I told him that a lot of times I can walk from the lot okay, but some days I can't. He filled out the form for a permanent plate for me.

    I don't always park in handicapped spaces, but I live in AZ and the heat makes my heart rate really high, and short of breath. So at times it helps me a lot.

    If you need it, just get the form from the DMV and bring it to your appointment. Explain why you need it and he should be fine with it.

    Good luck.

    M J
  8. whoachief

    whoachief New Member

    currently have one BUT I'm going to get a form and ask my dr. to sign it for me soon. So many times I just CANNOT walk if I have to park far away & I've turned around and gone back home because I couldn't find a decently close parking space. On days that I don't need it or can find a close spot that isn't handicapped of course I will not use it.