Handicapped placard?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellygirl, May 12, 2011.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I was wondering if anyone has a placard just for those days they may need it?

I was going to ask my doctor to fill out the form. I get pain down my leg, never know which one it will hit, and I can't even drag it, it hurts too much. but, it's not every day.

Or else, it is in my butt. But, I do not know from one day to the next what it will be like on that particular day.

I babysit my grandson, who is 2, and I would like to take him to the state park but they now have a rule that I cannot drive to the water and unload my car. I have to carry everything plus my grandson down from the parking lot. They won't even let ppl unload their cars at the water anymore!!!!!!

So I thought if I get a placard, I could use it for days like that. what do you think?
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I waited way too long before I got my first placard. I was in college part-time and had CFS/FM for over five years at the time. I used to walk a long way from the parking lot to the building (carrying books), sometimes in very bad weaher, and by the time I drug up the stairs to my classes, I could barely catch my breath.

There were days I had to call my teenage son the come to the college and get me and then go back for the car later. I was so tired and sore.

I wish I had gotten it sooner. When you are in pain, as you are, and just trying to do a few normal things with your life, it's the best move you could make. Go for it. I also got a handicapped license plate. The placard is good to have if you drive in or ride in another vehicle too.

My doctor filled out a form and I sent it in. That's all there was to it. I also have high BP and arthritis so he put all of my medical conditions on there. This helps. GB66
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My sister talked me into getting one. It has made a big difference for me. I can now do more errands while out because I don't have to use precious energy walking a distance from the parking lot.

I don't use it all the time, but am so glad I got it. It has made the difference between whether or not I can make it somewhere or not.

BSHLEEN New Member

My husband has been after me to get one .But I always feel guilty too.Because I don't look disabled .But I have the same problem I have good days and bad days more bad then good lately I think you should maybe I'll think about it also take care. BSHLEEN
  5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I used my Mom's before I got my own. I am her main driver so I used her's .When I was thinking of aplying for disability , I was having alot of leg aches and fatique that I went to the DMV and asked what was needed to get one. I gave the paper work to my doctor and brought it back and it was ready for use in about 15 minutes. I love haiing it. I don't had to walk long distance's at the store's any more and it makes it possiable for me to shop the big stores . I would call and find out what you need and get one.
    If there are parking spots that are closer to the store and not handicaped I will use them but if it is crowded then I use the handicap placard it hangs from my mirror.

Don't wait too long.

6. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've had one for five years. At first I needed it because I had a knee replacement. As my knee got better my FM got worse, so I kept it. It expires at the end of this year and I'm going to ask my doctor to renew it.

Both my husband and I have difficulty walking (he's 75; I'm 67) so I feel justified in using the spaces. I have, however, had people look at me angrily because they think I don't need it. Our illnesses are truly invisible, but I don't care. I know I'm not abusing this privilege and just walk away.

If you need it, get it. And it sounds like you need it.