Handling the cold weather

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

How do you handle the cold weather? I hurt so much more when I get cold and there are few things in this world that I hate more than being cold.

Also, for the ladies... then what do you do when you get a hot flash?

I feel like I can't win lately.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  2. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I don't handle that cold very well! I hurt so much worse. I was just out in the cold for 3 days in a row. Friday my daughter had a field trip to a tree farm and Sat. and Sun. I went to a flea market. I know Crazy! Got some cool stuff though.

I have a matress pad heater on my bed that I crank before I go to bed. Then I wake up sweating to death in the night. I also have a hot tub. But I think that it is ever to cold to go out and get in that.:)

I just get so depressed in the winter.. do you?

Not really had to many hot flashes YET :)

Take Care and keep warm!
    SherylD
  3. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Hi tigger, I wear knee socks, turtle necks, scarves, and gloves and I have a coat that goes down to mid calf. I warm my car before I get in to drive and when I get a hot flash, everything comes off. I have a heater under my desk at work (which I use in the air conditioning more than in winter). I can't stand to have socks on in bed because my ankles are so sensitive, so I'm thinking I'll put my heating pad at the end of the bed before I get in to take the chill off. In the night when I get a flash, I just stick one foot out and stick out my arms. When it's really cold I use my ski gloves. They have a breathing hole in the top of the hand that you can blow into to warm your hands-
  4. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I wonder if there is a worse combination. I seriously think about moving sough sometimes, but I doubt that will happen.

Tigger
  5. Musica

Musica New Member

Tigger, I fortunately have not had to deal with hot flashes, but it must be SOOO frustrating not to know whether to treat the hot or cold! The cold definitely bothers me. A few weeks ago, it was foggy, too, and talk about a dreadful combination!
  6. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I know exactly what you are speaking of...because I lived near Chicago... and that was before I began to get worse with this stuff!

We moved to NW Florida about a year and half ago. It gets chilly here....even down to low 30's at night... so I still feel like I am KNOTTING UP when I get cold....can't get warm! It send me into tremors at times...I pray that doesn't ever happen to you.

And then, there are the hot flashes too. I am cold one minute... and then hot the next....but it is better since I started taking ESROTVEN PLUS. It really helped me so much with hot flashes!

I pray for you girl...because where you are is SO SO COLD and the winters are so long!!!

Wish that you could move south!! My son lived in Tampa area. The jobs are pretty good there...and pays much better than here.

Are you doing alright with job... and how did the doc visit go?

I haven't been on much last few days.

(((BIG WARM HUG)))

MamaR

7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I start another new job tomorrow. I'm really nervous about this one for some reason.

It's not got out of the low 30 degrees today. I'm freezing. My brother and I went to the garage to get an estimate on my car. He's going to pay for it. Thank goodness.

I found out today that a bill that I though inusrance paid back in October wasn't paid and the insurance company has no intentin of it. I have to go through an appeal and then if I don't get any satisfaction, I'm going to hire a lawyer.

I'm so sick worrying about everything or having everything turn bad. This has got to change soon.
    Tigger
  8. reiki

reiki New Member

I am so glad I am not the only one with this problem ( I do not mean that in a nasty way) it's just my hubby laughs at me and says I cannot be that cold for it to hurt. He often comes in and finds me walking around in thick socks, thermal jogging bottoms, a t-shirt, two jumpers and a fleece over the top and the heating on full blast. So as you can tell I can't handle the cold weather either. I don't know if it's just me but my body on the outside can feel quite warm but I am freezing on the inside (sounds mad I know).
  9. dononagin

dononagin New Member

I have such bad raynaulds that just walking out to my car will swell my hands up.. I'm always freezing!! AND.. I live in sunny California!! It's getting down to the high 30's at night.. up to 60 during the day.. I would never make it in snow country.. If I get a hot flash it's usually at night.. I throw off the covers and then 10 minutes later I'm trying to get warm again!! Hang tough Tigger!!
  10. evie9513

evie9513 New Member

Cold kills me. I also have hot flashes so ............oddly, I dress cooly and then use an electric blanket WITH A FAN BLOWING ON MY FACE AND FEET!
    sounds goofy but i bet we all find goofy ways to deal with this LOL!
  11. jole

jole Member

And Tigger, do I know the feeling. I don't do so bad in the summer when it's 80 or above, but the winter is the worst thing I know of. Not only is the pain unbearable, it doesn't ever stop. Never, ever. I wear so many clothes to work I look like a bag lady some days, but it's either that or not go, and I have to have my job.

The cold also fatigues me so much more. In the winter I am rarely up past 8, usually in bed by 6:30 or 7 just to be up at 6 a.m. Electric blankets/heating mattress pads are great.

Also, the lack of sun affects my mood something terrible. I become more withdrawn and actually CRAVE sunshine.

Then those hot flashes - oh, I remember saying I couldn't wait to have them so I'd finally be warm - - -little did I know how miserable they are. I too stick my feet out of bed for awhile - it helps. During the day, I usually try to ignore it as best I can.

Good luck with your job - hope it's a fun, nonstressful one!!

Friends -
    Jole
  12. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

You are so funny. What is funny is that I just mentioned the same thing to the last person I wrote to. The cold and the hot weather really causes alot of pain for me. I always have to take extra pain meds. And as far as the hot flashes

well they still come when they feel like it. Nothing seems to change that! Nope it just seems that you can't win!!

PIRT
  13. lin-z

lin-z New Member

this is my first winter diagnosed and what a difference a year makes...last year i was experiencing my first hot flashes and freezing the family...now i find if i get a chill, it causes muscle spasms and pain ,and the aching can be unbearable....but extreme heat also does the same. i really think that its the extreme temp(hot or cold) that can be most damaging to us. i definitely now dress for comfort and if i can still be fashionable ..great... but COMFORT is FIRST!!!!