HANDS AND FEET SWELLING

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shylo, Aug 11, 2006.

1. shylo

shylo New Member

I don't know if this is caused by FMS or the autoimmune disorder.I have heard that with FMS you may feel swollen but there is no visable swelling.I actually have visable swelling in my hands,fingers and feet,tops and bottoms.Also the tops of my hands look alot flatter than most peoples even when they are swollen.

My fingers swell bad and some of them look like they are becoming deformed.I have been going to a orthopedic surgen because in May I had to have a cyst removed from the side of my wrist.Now I went back to him yesterday for a checkup and he beleives that I have carpal tunnal syndrome.

He is sending me to a neauralogist to have some tests done on nerves on Monday.Could this be what is causing the swelling and if so how or what is the best treatment for this?It seems to be the worst in my left hand and on top of this I am left handed.

I do have immflamatory arthritis because of the Reiter's Syndrome which was diagnosed in 2004.I have been taking methrotrexate and sulfasalazine for the arthritis which controls the imflamation throughout my body but it is not controling the swelling in my hands or feet.

Please help,any advice on how FMS works because I know more about the Reiter's than I do about FMS.

Thanks,Shylo.
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I am going for full physical on the 23rd.I am going to ask her about it.

It started all of a sudden my feet are so bad at times I have a hard time walking.

Ill let you know what she says if you want.

Sue
  3. shylo

shylo New Member

I am so confused about all of this.My therapist told me that it could be fluid like adema but what would cause the adema then in my hands and feet.I do get swelling at times in my face exspecially my eyelids and right under my eyes and this has lasted for a few days at a time.

I have had urine tests done numerous times and they can find nothing wrong.I have had the full blood tests done for lupus and they all came back nagitive except that I have possitive ANA's but they are not real high.

I will have become a basket case before they figure it all out because I'm about there already.

Thanks Shylo
  4. suzetal

suzetal New Member

As soon as I get back that day.Ill post it here.Don't give up hope.My doctor is the best she digs and digs till she finds something.

Hang in there.

Hugs
    Sue
  5. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

Shylo,

I am not a doctor...just another patient with more questions than answers.

However, I know several people who have Fibromyalgia and Scleroderma, myself included. Google the Mayo Clinic and search for scleroderma on the site.

I have symptoms similiar to your, I think. My hand get nemd sometimes.They feel puffy most always. Sometimes it is visable, other times just this really taught feeling as though it was a balloon about to reach capicity and pop. I get this in my fingers and toes most often but it will happen in the hands and feet overall.

Plaquenil is a typical treatment, it seems. A friend of mine has had it for 15 years and had NO progression after starting the Plaquenil. It can stop the progression of the disease. Scleroderma can cause deformity in the fingers and toes if not treated.

I do not know what blood work or test you have had done so ...HUM? A skin biopsy can help with DX's and I would recommend one if you have not had it done. This is a new Dx's for me so I am still learning about it. Look it up and see if the symptoms match up to you. If they do....SCREAM (if you have to) for a skin biopsy and any other test needed ASAP!

I am not familiar with Reiters syndrome. I do not pretend to be very familiar with any of this choas. I have learned that the more I learn, the more there is to know...and the more questions I have.

I do know that auto immune disease seldom travel alone. Fibromyalgia, arthritis, scleroderma, lupus, etc....are all auto immune issues (I am "Blessed" with them ALL!).

They bring "friends" when they come. Often people end up with a Mixed or Multiple Connective Tissue Disease diagnosis (MCTD)because they have several symptoms of SEVERAL different connective tissue and auto immune diseases after many years.

Research the MCTD and scleroderma. If you think this is you...persue it fully. The quicker you get treatment the faster the damage can be stopped.

I hope this helps.

Jenni

6. Gosia

Gosia New Member

I have it to. I noticed when I eat sodium it gets worse. So I stopped all salt,cheese etc. The swelling stopped to. Try this for few days and see how it works for you.I hope it will help you as helped me.
    Gosia