Hands falling asleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by careyb31, Jul 8, 2004.

1. careyb31

careyb31 New Member

My hands fall asleep constantly, but only when I'm laying down or asleep. Anyone know why? Anything I can do about this?
    Careyb
  2. dollbaby

dollbaby New Member

Hi carey,i too have problems with my hands going to sleep, mine is most all the time though,they tingle just like my feet and legs.sometimes its hard to sit still cause they hurt so bad. haven't found a cure for it yet but will continue to search,I do take b-12 shots once a month that only helps for a few days but those few days are great.good luck to ya and if you find any help let me know and i will do the same...Norma
  3. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

My daughter (FM) has mentioned her hands being painful like that. My hands will go to sleep if I keep them clenched on something too long, like talking on the telephone.

JoAnn
  4. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

No answer for this symptom but I have noticed that my hands fall asleep alot during the night sometimes my arm. It seems hard to get the tingling to stop at time. I am not sure why this started but it has, Sorry I have no answers, but you aren't alone.
  5. ouchiered

ouchiered New Member

Careyb & Dollbaby My hands & arms use to go numb only at night. Since I've been keeping up on my Vit B12 shots once a week 1cc they are not numb anymore. But if I do something with my hands like hold the phone or chop food or stir food they will become very tried or cramp up. Try the B12 it can't hurt you. Good luck Ouchie
  6. careyb31

careyb31 New Member

I do take B-12 shots weekly and I think it helps with my energy. I just can't figure out what happens to my hands every time I fall asleep. Its as if my circulation shuts down.
  7. kevieb

kevieb New Member

i've had this problem for years---i think a nerve gets pinched in my neck. a visit to the chiro usually helps. i t got worse when i was pregnant---water retention caused carpul tunnel, which caused numbness at night. i slept in splints for a while so that i wouldn't bend my wrists in my sleep. that helped alot
    christine
  8. ceres

ceres New Member

i have either nerve damage or a pinched nerve,did you try
    a chiropracter?:)ceres
  9. careyb31

careyb31 New Member

I have tried a chiropractor and it does lessen it for a while. Think I'll call and go again tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.
  10. GMommy2

GMommy2 New Member

I had the same problem for almost a year. Finally, my whole left arm got numb one evening. The E.C. doctor said my potassium was very low. I began taking 40mg. daily. The tingling stopped.

I hope you find relief soon.

GMommy2
  11. careyb31

careyb31 New Member

Haven't had that checked, I think I will
    Thank you
  12. stagename

stagename New Member

we have numbness/tingling in our extremities- it's part of the DD- it's one of the ways fibro is diagnosed (or it used to be).

i think it has to do with not getting enough oxygen to the muscles. unless you have an injury, a chiropractor can't fix it.
  13. careyb31

careyb31 New Member

that is sort of what I was looking for. There has to be some sort of circulation or oxygen deprevation with FMS patients. I haven't read much on this yet, but I'm still looking.
  14. stagename

stagename New Member

I found The Fibromyalgia Help Book: Practical Guide to Living Better With Fibromyalgia
    by Jenny Fransen, I. Jon Russell
    very helpful.

good luck. the more you know, the better treatment and quality of life you'll have.
  15. Buddie

Buddie New Member

I just posted on another thread about this. I have the same problem when I over work my wrist. I have a history of carpal tunnel problems, elbow tendinitus, and many repetitive motion problems.

I have to constantly fight my wrist and hands being numb and painful. But, since I started taking 50 mg B-6 everyday, it is so much better no matter how much wrist and hand work I do. When I really over do, wearing a wrist brace at night and sleeping, keeps the problem under control. I only need that brace when I work my arm, wrist, and hand too much.

Try both the B-6 and the wrist brace and I hope it helps you....
  16. careyb31

careyb31 New Member

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try that!
  17. tandy

tandy New Member

I always get the numbness in all different spots!!!
    hate it!! But just recently,when I sit cross legged....
    my foot falls asleep and gets all numb and prickly!!
    If I fall asleep with my arms overhead,...for sure I'll get the numbness in my arms and hands~ This DD is the pits for sure!! my body aches feel like that of an old decrepid person~ I imagine this must be what it feels like to be 88 yrs old. only we get to taste it early in life!!!(who wants it!!??) not I!
    It must be nerves being pinched,...or blood supply being cut off??? who knows,??....even drs. are baffled by us.
    Hope this board gets back to normal soon. This down time is tickin me off!!
    Take care :)
    Hugs,
    Tandy
  18. careyb31

careyb31 New Member

Thank you Tandy, this is exactly what happens to me. When sleeping, when sitting with legs crossed and when sitting indian style on ground or on my legs. Everything goes to sleep way too quickly. I had one idiot doctor tell me to quit crossing my legs. Am I suppose to quit sleeping at night also