hangininthere ~ where are you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pgfnch2, Sep 11, 2005.

1. pgfnch2

pgfnch2 New Member

Just wanted to say that I came here tonight for all the usual reasons, but I especially wanted to see what you had to say today about your "quitting smoking." Last night I read what everyone had to say, and your posts were literally cracking me up! When you wrote about "sitting up as opposed to layed out flat" I was rolling in the floor laughing, but the one about "under the windowsill above the sink" one sent me running to the bathroom! I 'bout wet my pants!
    You are doing great with your smoking cecession, but your descriptive wording is awesome! I feel for you and sympathize with what you're going through, but I dearly love your sense of humor! It feels so GOOD to LAUGH, and I think that helps us more than anything...thanks so much ~ you've made my day!
    Wishing and hoping for the best for you:)))))))
  2. pgfnch2

pgfnch2 New Member

and have been so encouraging! I'm almost even considering TRYING it myself, although any one that knows me would say, "It can't be done!"
    I have tried before, but it was many years ago, and I failed. Over and over.
    And the bad thing was, that was the strongest time of my life! That was when I was strong, and healthy, and happy, and confident, and had to excel at everything I did. But, quitting smoking?? That was the one thing that whipped me.
    I guess I never tried it again because of "fear of failure," which, to me, was right up there with "fear of rejection." I was so mad and disappointed in myself.
    But..you guys have really got me thinking about giving it a shot. I just wander if I could just possibly do it?
    Anyway, I am still very proud of all of you, and have enjoyed so much reading about all your endeavors:)
    Keep up all the good work!
  3. pgfnch2

pgfnch2 New Member

I have two beautiful grandsons, one is two, and one is 6 months, and I don't want to smoke in the house when they're here. However, I have been doing it, then feeling guilty about it, then doing it again anyway. Another reason is that my two oldest children, ages 22 and 19, both smoke! And it just kills me! They'd been around it all their lives, and hated it. When they fussed at me about it, I explained to them that it was without a doubt the stupidest thing I had ever done, and about how addictive and controlling it was, and if they would promise me one thing, I would want it to be that they would never, ever even try it. Didn't work.
    And the other reason is that my house reeks of cig smell, and my walls and computer and TV are brown, and I'm tired of having my clothes and hair smell all the time.
    When I first moved into this house 6 yrs. ago, brand new, I didn't smoke in the house. I loved the effects, and so did my kids. Plus, I smoked very little because I would have to make the effort to stop what I was doing and go outside. I loved my smoke-free house! And then....
    it rained! LOL! For days!
    Well, the rest is history..
  4. pgfnch2

pgfnch2 New Member

you are so right about everything you said. I forget sometimes that "they're gonna do what they're gonna do," no matter what we preach to them. And granted, they just don't know that we love them so much, and even though we made our share of mistakes, we want BETTER things for them than we wanted for ourselves.
    I have to laugh, because I just remembered that when my daughter was 6 months old, I was in a bar with some friends and I got really quiet and kinda sad. Someone asked me what was wrong and and I told her, "I hope I never catch my child in a place like this!" LOL! They have teased me about that for ages, but that kind of life was not good enough for MY KIDS!
    But..they're gonna do it. My son is only 19 and unmarried, and has two babies. I have beat myself up over and over for the mistakes that I must have made in raising them by myself. But someone pointed out to me, and what you just said reminded me, it was going to happen! From the day he was born, it was going to be as it has been ~ no matter what I would have done differently.
    I loved reading your post, and everything you said, I know, is exactly true. You are inspiring me more than you will ever know. I wish you were my next-door-neighbor ~ LOL!!!
    We could do this together! By the way, we were both born in the same year:))
    Thank you, for all the incentive, understanding, for the laughs(!), and for all your very wise input on how it has been for you, trying so hard again to succeed. And I know you will! And if you slip and fall, get back up again and stick to your plan. We are all but human - that's all we can be. We're gonna make it!
    Hugs to you,
    *paige*