Happy Black Friday, and what are you reading?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Nov 28, 2008.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Just wanted to check in with everybody and wish everybody a good Holiday and weekend.Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.
    Looks like some good games and fun topics on here right now. I'm still in a long, miserable relapse, though I'm seeing a few, very slow improvements. Still not up for being online much.
    Chinese Democracy, hah! I just read the new book about Guns N Roses. Talk about trashy, but it's fun to read those once in a while. Haven't heard the new album yet. I've been listening to mellow music: folk and classical.

Reading some really good books right now, though:
    A RIVER SUTRA, a book about India, and THE WORST HARD TIME, about the dust bowl.

Anybody else reading anything good?

Your friend,

[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2008]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

so nice to see you back.

I've been reading books by Dorothy Koomson, well I've read ONE and managed to get the rest of her books from the library so I'll work my way through them. She's just that little bit different and a very good writer - well she was in the book I read and I'm hoping for the same kind of quirkiness in the rest.

Very cold here right now though I must say that the cold, dry weather is so much better than the damp, rainy weather we've had most of this year. I really benefit from the dryness. I can just imagine the sunshine in New Mexico.

Editing her to ask what you mean by Black Friday - over here Black Fridays are on the 13th?????

Hope you continue to get better Ken.

[This Message was Edited on 11/28/2008]
  3. caffey

caffey New Member

Hi there. Can I jump on your post and ask a question? There is a new movie out called the Changeling with I think Clint Eastwood. It is a true story about a kid who went missing in L.A. in 1920's and the police cover up. Long story short. I don't know if a book was written or what it would be called. I called the book store and they couldn't help. They told me to look on a web site. The one they gave me had 3 million posts. Would anyone know anything about this? Thanks a million.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Good to see you back, however briefly, Ken. I wish you would snap outta it; the relapse, that is. You probably wish the same thing.

I am reading a book that calls to mind the books by James Herriot. It's called "An Irish Country Doctor" by Patrick Taylor. The patients are people rather than animals. The kind of book generally called humorous and heart-warming.

The author was from Ireland, but did his doctoring in Canada. I have requested the sequel from the library.

I read a biography of James Herriot a few years ago. His real name was Alf Wight. The author of the biography said Wight changed the time frame of his life, and invented and modified a great deal. He thought Wight was a novelist rather than a chronicler.

Just read "Murder on a Girls' Night Out". The title is fraudulent to my way of thinking. Nobody gets murdered on a girl's night out. It is a typical mystery by a female author. The focus is not on the crime and detecting, but on relationships.

Also reading "The Best Plays of 1972-1973". I read it because one of the playwrights in the book wrote a novel I recently read. The well-known plays are "A Little Night Music, The Sunshine Boys and the Hot L Baltimore."

All the rest of the plays are awful. Hard to believe they got produced.

Rosie, Black Friday was the friday before Easter when I was a kid. A couple years ago people started using the term for the Friday after our Thanksgiving, supposedly the busiest shopping day of the year. The term seems rather inappropriate to me.

All for now

5. Juloo

Juloo Member

Our family is visiting inlaws this holiday, and it's LOUD. So the magazines and books I brought are not being read.

That said, one of the bedrooms has a computer, so I've shut myself away a few times and been able to catch up with some of my favorite Harry Potter fan fictions. That has been great, especially since some of my favorites have updated!
  6. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

The word has somehow become super popular in media this year (and I hope disappears again.....too grim).

Anyway, I read something last week that the word comes from retailers and accounting.
    A lot of stores are "in the red", or not profitable for the year, until this Thanksgiving holiday. Afterward, everyone is "in the black").

I got some good laughs yesterday from reading "I Like You: Hospitality Under The Influence" by a comedianne, Amy Sedaris. I suppose it might not be that funny to someone damaged by alcohol abuse.......but I sent it to my brother who I think will enjoy it.

I starting to reading a Dick Francis novel "For Kicks". Usually I learn from his books and find them a good read. Wish everyone well, mr Bill
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

Well, long story short, my DP brings me home 10 or so books from the library each month: I read about 4 hrs a day; love fiction, mysteries, spy novels, war stories.

I did just finish a fiction book called Blasphemy. I recommend it to all those who are not real religious, altho' maybe even some of those (who are not toooo religious), might enjoy it's thought provoking premise.

A large chain reactor is built in the 4 corners area by about 10 of the most brilliant scientists on earth. The rev up the reactor and get "God'! The reactor is built in old abandoned coal mines in that area. The book progresses to all the scientists asking God questions humanity has been seeking answers to for all of time.

The ending is thought provoking, blasphemous, and thoroughly enjoyable. Gotta try it.

Now, I've read all 10 books, and am getting no more until the 2nd Dec., so I cracked open my "Clinical and Scientific Basis for Myalgic Encephelomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" published in 1992.

The articles could have been written today, and date back to 1934. The symptoms are still the same. Only the CDC has changed the criteria.

It will be interesting to see if the Dec 5 chat room discussion with Dr. Susan Vernon will confirm the primary diagnoses or will she just push the CDC recommendations of GET and CBT.

I can't get on chat, so y'all let me know your opinions, ok?

Take care of you Ken, and here's hoping you are on a healing road!

8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the red and black explanation, MRBill. I'm not surprised a lot of businesses are in the red, closing shops, filing for chapter 11, etc. An awful lot of them are badly run.

They pay their CEO twenty million, spend a million a week on advertising, then treat customers like pond scum. Most of the employees don't seem to know anything about the store or the merchandise. They talk on their cell phone while they wait on you or chat w/ a co worker.

Here in Los Angeles you're lucky if they speak English. I could tell you personal horror stories, but most folks here probably have their own.

I am reading a book of short stories by Dick Francis: Field of 13. I wrote him a letter some decades ago. Even got a response.

Haven't read anything by Amy Sedaris, but have read a couple books of essays by David Sedaris, her brother.

Just read "The Spellman Files" by Lisa Lutz and am working on the sequel. It's about a crazy, dysfunctional family (sorta like the Simpsons, but a lot smarter) in the Private Eye business.

9. therealmadscientist

Never knew that Dick Francis had written a book of short stories. I'll check out. The way that so many books run a thousand pages nowadays, his novels almost seem like stort stories.

Oh, I also wrote to mention that I didn't bother to pick up my desert at dinner tonight, and just now, one of the cooks who was concerned I'd missed dessert, and just brought me two raisin pudding desserts to the lab. Ahhh, the good life:) LOL Cheers, your mr Bill

Oh, good thing I'm not spoiled, or anything like that:)

[This Message was Edited on 12/02/2008]
  10. therealmadscientist

I never read any of his books, but will now.

My brother called and said he loved the "I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence" book.

He recommended and had read two books by David Sedaris.

He mentioned that he had been to someone's commencement ceremony in Chicago, and that David had made an absolutely hilarious commencement speech. The only time, probably, that a commencement speech has gotten a standing ovation.

Cheers, mr Bill
  11. Callum

Callum New Member

You tube "David Sedaris Stadium Pal". It's a bit he read on David Letterman. Hysterical.

I've been reading books I've been meaning to read for years and just getting to: "Borrowed Time" by Paul Monette and "The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas. Norman Mailer's "Harlot's Ghost" is next.

Hope you're better soon, Ken!
  12. greygodess

greygodess New Member

I am reading the Twilight trilogy. Even though I am a bit old for these books I find them hard to put down once I pick them up. I enjoy reading anything by Anne Rivers Siddons and Dorthea Benton Frank. Both write about South Carolina and the islands off the coast. I like the atmoshpere of the books. I also read Janet Evanovich. Her numbered books are great and even my husband likes to listen to them on cd. I find I go through cycles. Sometimes I only read mysteries for awhile and then I go to popular fiction. Heck, I'll read the back of the toilet paper package if that is the only thing to read in the house. Godbless