Happy Healthy Chanukah

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by balletdancer74, Dec 15, 2006.

1. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

To All who celebrate Chanukah, wishing you a bright eight festival day of lights...

For those who don't know, it starts tonight at sundown!

Hugs to All,
    LB32 (Leeza)

I haven't forgotten about Christmas, but that's not until over a week from now. :) Just thought I'd "mix it up" here a little since it's rare to hear about other religions other than Christianity! lol j/k
  2. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Have a lovely holiday, Leeza :)

3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Dear Leeza,

You're awesome to be so inclusive. Apparently, I'm the only "Yid" on the board!
    I enjoy this time of year; it's very fun and festive. Thank you so much for your well wishes!

Much love, Erika

4. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

Hope all who are Jewish have a wonderful first day of Chanukah. My sister in law is jewish so I called her today and my sweet little niece. They celebrate christmas and Chanukah. Have a great day and night!
  5. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Yes, I keep up with some of the Jewish holidays also, as I've had Jewish friends and coworkers over the years. My daughters went to a preschool run by Jewish people. I get really excited come Rosh Hashanah and I don't know why!

Interestingly, in the Christian religions that I was in/exposed to growing up, in the one I chose, they don't celebrate Christmas and their year begins in September as the Jews and they have a celebration that's either the same day or a day or two off from the Jewish Passover. In the other religion, they observe the Sabbath.

Also, I think the Chanukah decorations are beautiful. I eat quite a bit of Kosher food also, and I've been doing that since my teens.
  6. balletdancer74

7. balletdancer74

So, you're not alone! haha I try to remember everyone else's holidays though it's hard remembering what I wore the day before! :p

I hope you're having a wonderful festival of lights, and may this holiday bring you a brighter and healthier new year...that goes for everyone!

Chag Sameach! Shalom...

LB32 (Leeza)

My paternal grandfather was an orthodox rabbi from Turkey, so I consider myself modern orthodox as I keep a strictly kosher home but do eat vegetarian outside, etc. I can mix with anyone. *grin*
  8. balletdancer74

...really like that name. I hope your sister in law and niece have a wonderful Chanukah...it's a very festive holiday...

May you have a wonderful Christmas...I'll do my best to get to a computer to post well wishes for Christmas...if not, it's probably because I didn't have a computer around... :)

Wishing you a safe holiday season!

LB32 (Leeza)
  9. balletdancer74

LOL!! I really like Rosh Hashanah also I guess because it's the start of a new beginning so to speak. :) That's wonderful that your daughter has been exposed to another culture/religion...the oldest monotheistic religion come to think of it...5767 years old...wow, and still kicking somehow or another! lol

May you have a healthier Christmas and new year...

LB32 (Leeza)
  10. balletdancer74

Are you a Unitarian? I can't remember what Christian group it is, but there IS one (probably the one you belong to) that follows the Jewish calendar. One of my neighbors in CT comes by every year so we can give her a Jewish calendar...I wonder if that's the very same one? Just a thought...been fighting off a head pain attack all week so not thinking as clearly as usual...

Oh, and there's nothing like a kosher deli! LOL

LB32 (Leeza)
  11. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Hello! I thought with the clues I gave, the two religions would be a dead giveaway. I could give dead giveaway clues, but then my post might get deleted or some on the board might get offended if they're currently in those religions.

Yes, I truly loved the experience of having my girls in a Jewish-run daycare/preschool. I miss the quality of the food. They've been taking packed lunches almost ever-since grade school.
  12. balletdancer74

Are you Greek or Russian Orthodox? Somehow, those don't make sense either...hm...I'm usually good at these things...must be my incessant head pain that's "distracting" me. :p

Maybe one more hint...and why would you get deleted? If you're not offending or insulting any other group, why should your post be removed?!?

I'll keep thinking....Seventh Day Advantist (sp?)? You're killing me! LOL

LB32 (Leeza)
  13. balletdancer74

I'm stretching it there! lol

Throw me a bone here as Austin Powers would say! :)

LB32 (Leeza)
  14. SweetT

SweetT New Member

yes, aunt is a Seventh-Day Adventist. They observe the Sabbath and eat Kosher foods and/or follow a vegan diet. However, that was not the religion I chose. The Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate Christmas or Easter, and their service year begins (or began) on Septemeber 1st. And their celebration of the Lord's Evening Meal/Memorial of Christ's death is always usually the day of, or a day apart from, the Jewish passover. Hmm, perhaps I should check out Jews for Jesus, because while my slant is Christianity, I've always had an appreciation for Judiasm.

Again, Happy Chanukah to all!
  15. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Happy Chanukah everyone.

16. balletdancer74

I was literally going to go with the Jehovah's Witnesses, but than I thought I'd wait for another hint. :)

Kosher, as you may or may not already know, means "fit to be eaten." I find kosher meat cleaner (which it is as it has to go through so many processes, and the animal isn't allowed hormones, steroids, etc.) and tastier...maybe it's the salt! lol

There is a reason that Jews were told not to eat pork/pig. No one will ever know why in this lifetime (my opinion only), but it's interesting that it turns out that pigs are so close to humans...i.e. skin, hearts, etc. Guess "they" knew what they were doing back than! :)

As for shellfish, even Jacque Cousteau (sp?), the most famous oceanographer didn't eat shellfish as he called them the "bottom feeders of the earth." hm...again.

Happy Holidays and may you have a sweet and safe and healthier holiday season...

I SWEAR I was going to guess Jehovah's Witnesses next...no kidding! lol Dang!
  17. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Leeza,

Thanks again! Wishing you a very healthy, happy Hanukkah as well! How cool/interesting that your paternal grandfather was a rabbi in Turkey. Did he ever get to visit the United States? I am always fascinated to learn where our ancestors came from.

It turns out that both my husband and I have ancestors from Lithuania (although we have ancestors from other parts of Europe too.) When we have a spat, sometimes we joke that our families argued in the "Old Country".

You sound much like me. I mix with everyone very well and enjoy the diversity and spice of life....I don't care if folks are Jewish, Christian or Muslim or "whatever" as long as they are openminded like I am. If they are close-minded, it's a huge turn-off.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Much love, Erika
    [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2006]
  18. balletdancer74

My paternal grandfather was a rabbi here in the U.S. (NYC) as well, so my Dad was born in Brooklyn. His Mum was born in Greece, but her family originated from Italy (her last name is typical Italian Jewish - Arditi - they were bankers! Wow - that's a huge surprise! LOL) and Turkey. People who are Turkish or Greek tend to become perplexed when I say that my grandparents were/are from Turkey and Greece, two countries who absolutely hate each other. Than when I say that they're Jewish, it all makes sense! haha

My Mum was born in Tangier, Morocco, so she speaks, Spanish (the very north of Morocco is Spanish though not so much anymore), French, Arabic and perfect English. She's picking up Italian and Portuguese very easily as you can imagine. I only speak Spanish and know a little bit of French, Arabic words, Hebrew words and a dialect that only the Jews from the North of Morocco speak. I can't even spell it phonetically, but it's a combination of Spanish (Ladino), Arabic, Hebrew and French...It's great for speaking in "code." *grin*

My Mum's Dad's family paid their way out of Spain during the Inquisition (they had/have money - long story!) and went to England (still have family there). They were merchants (another big surprise there, right? lol) and went from England to South Africa while stopping in Morocco where they eventually settled...My Mum's mother's side were Berbers and have been in Morocco for over 3000 years, so we definitely have a mix of black and Muslim. It would be ridiculous for me to deny that...I think it's cool. While I'm pale as a ghost and look Turkish (the light eyes, lighter hair - my Dad is blonde), Spanish, Italian and even Moroccan with the exception of my complexion, I have relatives who look like a mix - the kinky hair and darker skin. We're definitely African...haha

My Dad totally looks British until he opens his mouth and sounds totally Brooklyn. I sound like I'm from CT...no accent. *grin* I know - what a snob I am! lol

Anyway, that's the "short" of my family background...tis very fascinating. I'm always interested in people's heritages.

Small world. I was in Dallas for my good friend's wedding where I was a bridesmaid eight years ago (already getting sick than - ugh!), and for one of the sheva berachas (seven days of celebration at someone's house after the wedding), we went to this family's home. My Mum and I were sitting staring at the photos of the kids, and we immediately saw an uncanny resemblance of two of them with two of my first cousins on my Dad's side - his niece and nephew. Well, turns out the maiden name of the lady of the house is my last name, and she was born in Peru...and she's my Dad's second cousin! Crazy...

Sorry this post to you is so long, but I just had to share.

I think that's funny that you and your husband joke that your families must have argued in the old country way back when. :) Imagine my parents both being fully Sephardic - the Middle Easter and Latin backgrounds! LOL Very heated...haha j/k

Here's to a bright Festival of Lights...and like you, I have friends of all groups, but if someone says anything remotely racist, anti-semitic, etc., I drop them. I'm also very pro Israel...so that can be a "touchy" subject. *wink*

Happy/Healthier Chanukah!!

Leeza Behar (that's my last name!)
  19. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Shalom, Leeza!

Thank you for sharing a snapshot of your family history! It's VERY interesting and unique as well because your family background covers so many different countries. I am honored that you shared it with me. I will have to re-read it when I'm not so tired (and sick- aughh!) and ask you some questions if you don't mind. What a wonderful heritage!

Wishing you a continued Happy/Healthy Hanukkah.

Warm hugs, Erika
  20. balletdancer74

I hope you feel "better" soon, and feel free to ask any questions you like when you're well enough. If I don't answer, it's probably because I don't have access to a computer which may be the case for the next week.

Just repost...Rest up and drink lots of fluids...well, you know the "routine." :)

Wishing you a refuah shelema (full and speedy recovery)!!
    LB32 (Leeza)