Happy Holiday-LTD approved, check in mail!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by contessa, Dec 20, 2002.

1. contessa

contessa New Member

Took 9 longs months, lot of paperwork and letters, and yes a lot of research. But at least for the next 18 months I'll have my old income back. In January will start the entire process over with SSDI: Does anyone know if already having private disability approval makes getting SSDI easier. Hopefully they'll compare notes or something. My policy says they will handle appeals for me if needed, and until the 18 months are up will make up the difference between SSDI and my private policy (SSDI will be lower).
    I also bought the NOLO book on Getting and Keeping Social Security Disabilty. Wrote my LTD a letter based on info I gained from that book and whoopie, 4 days after they got the letter I got the approval. I don't think it was happenstance. (Of course, retroactive payment is coming). Thanks to this group for tips and insights. Newbies, there is a lot of good stuff in these pages if you don't get too bogged down in the daily bla-blas. Good luck to everyone else fighting the battle.
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

I'm still trying to get my LTD, for almost a year now. I think you have to be dead before they agree I'm disabled!! May I ask, what is the NOLO book???

Dara
  3. contessa

contessa New Member

I ordered the 2002 issue from my bookstore. It is the insiders guide to how the social security disabilty system works and covers everything from how to file your form, how to answer questions, what backups you'll need, working and keeping benefits. Also covers denial and appeal. It's for children thru adults.

I found out that because I'm 55 my chances for approval are high. SSDI considers our age group too old to retrain,and too old to find another job if we are. In other words, in my case my advanced age (HA) will work in my favor. Yes, SSDI grades on your age!!

It also lists every type of disabilty they look for, all the symptoms, grading forms etc. FIbro isn't listed but the book explains how to locate a similiar disease and go from there. It cost $29.95 and I found it well worth the price. 10 days after buying the book I got the LTD approval using tips I'd picked up. You could possibly find it in your local library as well. The guy that wrote is is a former MD for the social security system. I think each of us should have this book in our library.
  4. Mariah

Mariah New Member

I am really happy for you girl : )))))
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Looks like you researched this well & will now reap the benefits of going thru the process methodically & patiently. GOOD FOR YOU!! This is good news for others going through the same thing...

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to hear you have that battle behind you.

It always makes my day when someone finally gets their just dues!

Take care.
    Shalom, Shirl
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

for the name of the book, I will check the Library first and then go to the bookstore. I am 56 so maybe my "old age" will pay off for something good for a change.

Dara
  8. Rumpsonfire

Rumpsonfire New Member

I had given up on getting my LTD from my employer because I found that it would just get me down. However, this post just made me in the mood again to get exactly what I deserve! I am going to the library to get that NOLO book and sending my appeal out friday....THANKS!!

Amanda's Rumpsonfire
  9. contessa

contessa New Member

My employers policy is Fortis Insurance. Their requirement was that I only be unable to perform 'one' part of my job to be considered disabled. My problem arose when my job definition was described by the US Dept of Labor guide as 'sedentary'. I hit the roof and had to prove sedentary was for rocks and muscles (shellfish)--literally. Although I had a extrememly stressful sales desk job; it involved twisting, turning, phoning, computer use, sitting, standing and working in an environment that was either too hot or too cold, poor lighting, etc. I listed each body movement required for my job, and the portion of my condition that prevented me from accomplishing it. When (not if)I get SSDI and it is less than my policy (it will be) they will continue to pay me the additional diffence between the two. It is a great policy which is why I fought so hard to get it. I could have given up - which they would have loved. But I kept at it! I am tired of being pushed to the wall by bullies. If it's yours go get it.

I also have a long history of always winning when it comes to the written word. Guess if I'd been born rich I'd have made a pretty good lawyer or something. I will always strive to remain optimistic - every pile of horse pucky means a real horse is near (I love horses!!).

Never give up -- sometimes we need to stand back and change strategies, or regroup or learn something new. We also make mistakes filing our forms. Even a single word glitch can and will be used against us.

SSDI has three job classifications - #1 is mostly sedentary; #2 has a manual labor limit and #3 is a maximum manual labor limit. Now a #3 job can be required to seek employment as a #2 or #1. A #2 can be required to seek employment as a #1. But a #1 has no requirement unless you are still capable of being retrained in some other #1 capacity. As a #1 classification, with already determined full disabilty, (and SSDI age restrictions) I won't be required to seek other work. If they try that maneouver I would protest it.

I hate to sound like I'm hawking the Nolo book but it has so much usefull information on how the system operates not owning or reading it would be like me trying to drive to Nova Scotia without a roadmap (I live in Wisconsin). Enough for now - good luck everyone still fighting the battles.
  10. CYNTHIA  WRIGHT

CYNTHIA WRIGHT New Member

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAS WON SO FAR....I'M STILL FIGHTING THE BATTLE...MY GOOD NEWS IS THAT I WAS AWARDED MY SSD---12/10/02----FIRST FILED IN 2000....DENIED MY LTD BENEFITS....I ALSO HAVE AN EX-CO-WORKER AS WELL AS BEST FRIEND WHO WAS DENIED HER LTD BENEFITS,BUT WAS AWARDED HER SSD W/O AN ATTORNEY..I ENCOURAGED HER TO SEEK WHAT WAS OWED HER--HER LTD COVERAGE AS WELL AS A SUPPLEMENTAL ISSURANCE POLICY WE HAD ON THE SIDE....GUESS WHAT THEY HAD ALREADY TERMINATED HER EMPLOYMENT AFTER--15 YRS OR SO...THEY ENDED UP GIVING HER THE LTD COVERAGE AS WELL AS HER SUPPLEMENTAL INSURANCE COVERAGE..MY POINT IS NEVER GIVE UP---A LOSER NEVER WINS...NOW I FEEL ITS MY TURN...BUT I DO HAVE AN ATTORNEY ON MY SIDE...SO HOPEFULLY IT ALL WILL EVEN OUT..I WAS TERMINATED AFTER---30 YRS...WHAT A WASTE....BUT AGAIN I NEVER GIVE UP--I WILL FIGHT TILL THE END...
  11. CYNTHIA  WRIGHT

CYNTHIA WRIGHT New Member

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAS WON SO FAR....I'M STILL FIGHTING THE BATTLE...MY GOOD NEWS IS THAT I WAS AWARDED MY SSD---12/10/02----FIRST FILED IN 2000....DENIED MY LTD BENEFITS....I ALSO HAVE AN EX-CO-WORKER AS WELL AS BEST FRIEND WHO WAS DENIED HER LTD BENEFITS,BUT WAS AWARDED HER SSD W/O AN ATTORNEY..I ENCOURAGED HER TO SEEK WHAT WAS OWED HER--HER LTD COVERAGE AS WELL AS A SUPPLEMENTAL ISSURANCE POLICY WE HAD ON THE SIDE....GUESS WHAT THEY HAD ALREADY TERMINATED HER EMPLOYMENT AFTER--15 YRS OR SO...THEY ENDED UP GIVING HER THE LTD COVERAGE AS WELL AS HER SUPPLEMENTAL INSURANCE COVERAGE..MY POINT IS NEVER GIVE UP---A LOSER NEVER WINS...NOW I FEEL ITS MY TURN...BUT I DO HAVE AN ATTORNEY ON MY SIDE...SO HOPEFULLY IT ALL WILL EVEN OUT..I WAS TERMINATED AFTER---30 YRS...WHAT A WASTE....BUT AGAIN I NEVER GIVE UP--I WILL FIGHT TILL THE END...