Happy Springtime

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by windblade, Apr 20, 2014.

1. windblade

windblade Active Member

Wishing a Blessed Easter to all who celebrate!

With love, Judy
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Windblade

Good wishes right back atcha. We had a quiet day at our casa. Gordon is making soup
    right now. I am going out to pick tomatoes in a few minutes. They are the big
    cherry kind. Been producing for the last 3 months. We have another tomato plant that is
    just starting to fruit. I forgot the name, but it's something with "gold" in it. And the
    tomatoes really are a beautiful shade of gold.

The jacaranda trees are in bloom here in Los Angeles. They're a little early this year.
    Most of the leaves fall off the tree. and a cloud of lavender flowers decorates the
    landscape. Flowering trees were something new to me when I moved to California.
    I also noticed that old cars weren't rusty from road salt.

When asked about the difference between Minnesota and California, my response is
    that California has nicer weather. Minnesota has nicer people. Hope things are going
    nicely at your casa.

Rock
  3. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Happy Easter to you too Judy. So good to see you today. It's getting really lonely on here! :)

I hope you had a really good, pain free day with some good food! GB66
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Rock, It's good to see you here. It sounds like you had a really good, relaxing day. The best kind. I've never grown tomatoes but always wanted to. Our yard doesn't seem to get adequate sun.

I used to live in Florida and had never seen spring until we moved further "north". I was amazed to see wild flowers growing in the fields and sides of the roads. Irises looked like orchids. Dogwood trees were amazing.

I hope everyone comes back to the board soon. I miss all of you. GB66
  5. windblade

windblade Active Member

Hi Rock and GB!

Yes, I've kept checking in here too, hoping to see someone! We have to keep our 'gathering' here going.

Not very clear sentences, but have been missing you all too. I'm in the middle of a flair, just waiting to get back some NRG.

ROCK - I saw your photo of the Jacaranda trees on the Porch. Have never seen them before. I love how you described the "clouds of lavender"- the flowers are so beautiful. Wonderful to experience something new.

I used to grow organic tomatoes, and peppers, eggplant, green beans, all kinds of stuff. One of the happiest experiences is standing out in the hot sun in your garden, picking and eating a perfectly ripe tomato right there. My dog used to meander by, casually eating green beans. So whimsical.

I love reading about all the cooking and gardening and library trips that you and Gordon do. Sounds very cozy. Just the kind of things I enjoy.

GB - did you have the strength to have an Easter dinner yesterday?

I'm taking a rain-check. Will try again tomorrow. My husband is such a sweetheart, being so patient with when I can or can't do things. I have a big pot of white Easter lilies beside me in full bloom. I love the fragrance, and the elegant shape of the flowers.

We'll have ham from Whole Foods, and some interesting vegetable mixtures he picked out. Peas in the pod with tiny orange chunks, and kohlrabi or rahbi ,which I've never had, seasoned Italian style. Then I'll put some roasted potatoes with garlic and parmesan in the oven.

And for desert I'll whip up some thick cream with Madagascar vanilla, to put on chocolate pudding on top of waffles. So decadently good! Holiday meals are really important to me. This is the first year I haven't been able to cook our favorites, so I'm trying to adapt, and keep upbeat.
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Windblade, I hope you have your Easter dinner today. Holiday meals have always been special to me too. I used to cook just about everything from scratch. Now, I take a lot of shortcuts.

We have a Piccadilly cafeteria close by so we ordered sliced ham and some side dishes from them. Then we cook it ourselves. It comes ready to cook.

We had broccoli, mac and cheese, carrot souffle, ham, and coconut cream pie. It was so good. I had to watch the portion sizes though to allow for the diabetes thingy.

I am a little concerned about so many not coming to the board lately. I hope they all come back. I miss them. It's depressing.

Do you post on any of the other boards regularly? I haven't the energy to keep up with more than one. Until we started this board, I hadn't been on here much. I was having trouble navigating the new format.

I hope you have a wonderful day and try not to be sad about not being able to do as much as you used to. I think our hubbys know how we're feeling and don't mind helping us or waiting for a better day. Been there, done that! :) GB66
  7. windblade

windblade Active Member

Hi GB, You and I are nightbirds for sure. Or are you on a different time schedule? I don't have a routine of when I do things anymore. What works best for me is sleeping when I'm exhausted, then just being up and using whatever energy I have then.

Wow - carrot soufflé, and coconut cream pie! Sound so intriguing and tempting - I've never had either. I love trying new foods, and the comfort of tried and true ones.

I started to post many years ago on the PH board when all the boards were one. There was CFS info, and chat, and prayer all mixed together. Then way back, the prayers went over to the Worship board, and Chat became separate, and the medical info. boards also.

I loved being on the Spirituality/ Worship board when it was active. We had people with many kinds of backgrounds sharing their lives and their spiritual thoughts. I loved the diversity. And then I would be answering on Chat at times too.

This little group here has become so precious to me - the games, the laughter, the amazing creativity that everyone brings in stories, photos, descriptions of important things like snowflakes, Jacaranda trees, baby birds hatching!

I'm thinking that everyone is missing Leah. It's sad that she needed to leave, but I surely want this group to continue!

I'm missing Soul, SG, Jole, Diane, Patti, Tiger Lilea, Dar and Granni, and I know I must have goofed up and missed somebody important:confused:.

Still speaking of Easter, has anyone ever seen the Ukranian Easter Eggs called Pysanky? I used to work with a Ukranian woman who taught me the art, using a small pipe-like tool where you heat up wax in the little bowl at the tip, and draw intricate designs on the eggs. As you go, you color parts of the design in different colored dyes. A lot of black, red, yellow, and orange, as I remember.

There are beautiful photos online of them!

So good to connect with you and Rock, GB. I was feeling so upset too.

I started looking online to see if their are any game ideas. Will keep looking. Love the music ones especially.
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Windblade, I'll come back later and post more. I'm going to rest for awhile. Have you seen any posts from Freida lately? I've been looking for her. Her threads are gone from our board. GB66
  9. windblade

windblade Active Member

GB - Leah Freida decided to leave PH - at least for now. She could always come back another time. She wasn't banned or anything.

I think she might not have realized that all her posts would disappear too.

I miss her terribly, and hope at some point she'll come back. I've been so sad about it.

Well, finally going to have my Easter meal now.

Hoping everyone else will come back to posting.

Take care all.
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Windblade and everydobby :)!!

Sorry I am a bit late on popping in to see how you all are dong on the housebound and bedbound group. I have had some sinusitis and was on some antibiotics and now DH is on them. I think it all started with al the pollen around here this year. The doc wanted DH to have an x-ray taken today, so now we wait to see if it shows anything shows up.

Talk about short cuts, I took a lot of them his year in cooking. I can't believe how much I used to cook daily for everyone, 8 every day when I was young and feeling much better too. It was simple dinner this year with just a few family. We had yesterday (salads I bought and doctored them up and we had ice cream with choc syrup). It was nice for some of u t get together and just chat and nice to see two grandsons we hardly ever see. They are getting so big- 12 and almost 19. The eldest one has many challenges but it was good to hear that he is working in a program along with the school and earning money and learning skills he will need when he graduates this year.. He has quite a few learning disabilities but he is such a happy and smiling kid. Glad he is learning so good life skills. The youngest one thank God is doing well considering he had leukemia when he was about 4. That was also about the time their marriage broke up, a crazy and frightening time for all. So glad he is petty health though but he is u a picky eater and doesn't like a lot of things that put on weight. He did eat so ice cream though :)!!

Hope you enjoy your meal Windblade. It almost didn't seem like Easter yesterday as we didn't go to church during this period of coughing etc. I missed so much singing this Easter season.

GB - Your Easter Lilies sound so pretty . I would love to have some. They probably wouldn't last to long here with no sun or not to much in one place.

Rock - We used to live in house where we had loads of sun and we planted tomatoes. We had to give so many away and dry them and everything else. We cold eat them all. There were just to many. Now we have little sun around the house.. I really miss our fresh tomatoes.

So sorry to hear about Leah leaving PH. She was so sweet and thoughtful even if she was so limited in her abilities. I guess she would get frustrated at times but she will be missed and I hope she comes back soon.

Hope you all feel as good as you can be and more than you will hope to feel like.

Love and blessings to you all,
    Granni :)
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Windblade, I hope you enjoy your holiday meal. We had leftovers tonight. My husband ate but I'm waiting till I feel a little better. I've had bad IBS this week and just had one of those ocular migraines about an hour ago.

I think I'm going to rest for a day or so and try to wind down. I may not be on the board for a day but don't worry, I'll be back shortly. :)

I miss Leah too. She'll probably come back soon. I hope so.

GB66
  12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Granni, So good to see you again. I hope your Easter was good too. It's amazing how much we can do without in our cooking routines. I used to feel that everything had to be "just so", but now I'm just thankful to have a meal. :)

At Thanksgiving we always baked a 20 pound turkey, (there were 6 of us) , and all the trimmings. Now, we get ready- to -cook from the cafeteria, like we did for Easter. The turkey is already baked and sliced. The only thing I still make from scratch is cornbread dressing. It's my grandmother's recipe and we love it.

I hope to be making it again next year!

I hope you and your hubby are feeling much better today. I'm going to rest some now. I'll be back shortly. GB66
  13. windblade

windblade Active Member

Dear GRANNI, Is your sinusitis improving at all? And hope your DH is getting better too.

My DH and I finally had our Easter dinner on Monday. It was a lovely feast! And fun to try new things. The Broccoli Rhabi with sun-dried tomatoes and roasted garlic was amazingly good. So glad and relieved that I finally had the energy.

That was wonderful, Granni that you got together with your Grandsons. I think it must be their mother, your DD, that I am holding in my prayers.

The forsythia has bloomed here in our neighborhood, and our trees are slowly leafing out in pastel greens. So beautiful to see color after a long monochrome winter.

GB - Are you over your migraine? I've never had one, but find even regular headaches hard to deal with.

I was wondering if your stair-chair has come yet, so you can get downstairs?

I'm hoping I will get the strength to buy and tend to some indoor flowering plants or terrariums, or plants that grow in water. I have a beautiful pink cyclamen upstairs and a hearty Sonoma plant with orange-pink blossoms.

GB - leaving a pm for you. Rest up well.
  14. rockgor

Hi Kids

We have a pink cyclamen at our ranch too, Windblade. I like their angular flowers. I believe
    it is an indication of an assertive personality. Couldn't find a picture of a Sonoma plant. Or more precisely, I found lots of pictures but they were of a variety of plants. Including ferns.

I have, however, been to Williams Sonoma. A good place to shop if you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a copper bowl or pan. And I've been to Sonoma, CA. My son went to college there.

Never heard of a carrot souffle before. Have never had any kind of souffle. Although I sometimes add an egg to my tuna hotdish and call it tuna souffle. This is for the elegant brunches I serve on the lanai.

We used to have wonderful turkey dinners when I was a kid, GB. And then, a decade of so back, I developed some sort of allergy to turkey. It made me hiccup. One night the heecoughs got so fierce I threw up. So that was the last time.

Never saw a dogwood tree tree, GB, but I found lots of pics on the net. They seem to have
    white or pink flowers and come in various sizes from dwarf to multi-story.

Granni, you're right about the multiplying tomatoes. Don't know which is worse. Tomatoes or zucchini. Gordon took a bowlful to our mechanic along with some cilantro. Ice cream with
    choc sauce is always a good dessert. My aunt used to serve it to her 4 boys a lot. My mom
    made a wonderful caramel sauce. When we moved to our new house (new to us) there
    was a plastic container of it in the fridge.

The fridge got moved with the container in it; the top came off; my mother spent a lot of time
    cleaning that up. Typical of my father. Always impulsive. He once decided the kitchen needed a place to hang stuff on the wall. So he pounded a nail through a pot holder. In addition to always being impatient, he may also have been drunk.

Plans for today are to make the last visit to the storage unit. Only a few boxes left. We were
    going to take a broom, etc., but the staff said they'd take care of that. Trash pickup is today.
    I tossed out about 40 old video cassettes. Don't know if they would still work or not. But
    I've seen 'em many times, we no longer have a player, and the remote controls for the TV
    don't work. Too hard for me to sit through a whole show anyway.

Gordon made meatball soup. I was having some in the middle of the night. Saw the stray
    cat outside, so I gave it some broth and meatballs. A nice change from kibble.

Rock
  15. windblade

windblade Active Member

Hi Rock! I love the way you're always looking up things! You should have been a teacher. I'm wondering what subject you would have chosen to teach, what would have been the most interesting to you. You have such a wide range of interests.

Before computers, my husband and I, in the middle of a conversation, would reach up on a shelf and pull down 'Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable', our main information resource book. It's such a quirky, interesting book that we would find an answer ,but on the way to doing that would find some other mysterious topic. Great fun.

JAM - hi there. What kind of help has the gelatin supplement been for you? How does it help the joints? With cushioning? Less pain, I'm hoping. I see you have collagen written there - but my mind's gone blank about that. I'm so glad that you've said it's helping!

I would have loved to visit California. I think the Northern area with the Redwoods, and the tide-pools along the coast sounds so beautiful. One of my favorite novelists, Anne Lamott writes so brilliantly about that area.
  16. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Jam, I grew up in Florida. We had two seasons, summer and winter, (hot and not so hot). Till we moved further "north" I had never seen spring flowers or snow. I love both but don't like the effects of the pollen.

Maybe you know of a good remedy/supplement for pollen allergies. The antihistamines aren't working so well this year. The pollen is causing lots of misery.

Rock, Sorry you have a turkey allergy. Can you eat chicken? I like turkey on Thanksgiving but that's the only time we have it. We eat chicken a LOT.

Souffles are really good. I think the carrot one is made by making a puree of the cooked carrots and adding eggs and other seasonings, then baking till it's brown and puffy. It's delicious.

Dogwood trees are beautiful. We have two white ones in bloom right now. Maybe someone will post some pictures.

Judy, I'm going to post your game idea now. GB66
  17. rockgor

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search...-8&hspart=att&hsimp=yhs-att_001&type=sbc_dial

Hi Kids

Tried to copy a picture of a dogwood. Wouldn't work. But above is the address for a pic of a
    pink one. Or you can just search and find a buncha pics.

GB, there used to be a restaurant in Minneapolis that specialized in turkey. It was called
    the 620 Club because its address was 620 Hennepin Ave. Just checked with Wikipedia.
    Place opened during the depression; went outta business 30 years later.

Anyhoo I discovered the brothers who started the place were immigrants. One of them
    went to the same college I did. One was also a general manager of the Mpls. Lakers.
    My dad went there once and shook hands with a famous boxer. About the biggest
    event in his life.

My dad had a cafe of his own in our village. Sinclair Lewis, the first American writer to
    win the Nobel Prize, was from a little town in Minnesota. He had a cup of coffee there one
    day. I asked my dad what he remembered about that event. "He had a very bad complexion."

Windblade, you're right. I shoulda been a teach. At a small college in a sleepy town.
    I did teach the new attorneys in our office, and I did write a book for law students, but
    not much came of that.

I interviewed for a job teaching business law at Cal State Northridge. The guy who
    interviewed me said they had received over a hundred applications for the job. "Practicing
    law is so stressful a lot want to get out of it after several years."

Jam, I enjoyed the change of seasons in the far north, but could never go back. Don't
    you think the worst thing was having to drive? Gordon was asking me about the
    car heaters with the 50 or 100 foot cords a couple weeks ago. He seemed to find it
    kinda confusiatin'.

Hugs
    Rock
  18. windblade

windblade Active Member

Rock, my husband was a teacher for most of his working life. He taught Commercial Art, then regular Art. Then when there were budget cuts and teachers were laid off, he worked at Berlitz teaching English as a Second Language.

Now, being semi-retired, he works with a wonderful group that teaches children what to do if they're being bullied in school, and other things. They put on skits for the little ones.

Some of the more urban schools he taught in were really tough - I think the teachers needed to be protected!