Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Nov 29, 2006.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Happy St Andrew's Day(30th Nov) to all fellow Scots & descendant Scots out there,and everyone else.
    Heres to Scotland The Brave,
    Have a good day everyone,Paul from Glasgow,Scotland.
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I live in Falkirk and St Andrews Day has bypassed me, how awful is that??? Should be ashamed of myself.

Hope you have a great day.

3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

His father was full. I will mention this day to him but I have never heard of it. I wonder if he has?

If my father-in-law was still living, I'd call...sadly, can't do that. He was a good guy.

Happy St. Andrew's Day to you. Illuminate us, please...what did he do?

Thanks in advance,
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

is the patron saint of Scotland.

He was Andrew the disciple and his relics are supposed to be buried in St Andrews in Scotland (called after him). There are a few stories as to how his relics came to Scotland, St Regulus apparently brought them but another story says they were bought....???

Anyway our national flag has the cross of St Andrews, blue with a white cross.X

England has St George

Wales has St David

Ireland has St Patrick.

5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Happy St. Andrew's Day, but the most important question

I have about him today is---what was HIS Golf Score???

He has HIS own Course named for him!!

I'll have to phone all my friends of Scottish descent

and wish them a Great Day!

6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Rosie,Sue & Joe.

Rosie,you've summed up the history of St Andrew brilliantly,there has been a lot of stories & legend about it.
    Sue,St Andrew's Day is not really celebrated in Scotland the way a Patron Saint's day should be,you only have to look to the Irish,i mean they really know how to put on a show on St Patrick's Day,LOL.
    Joe,i don't know about his golf handicap,but i'll tell you what,it would definitely have been better than mine,LOL,
    Have a great day everyone,
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I will share this with my husband tonight. He will be interested in part of his heritage.

Now, as you mentioned, we Irish do know how to celebrate a patron saint....even if only part Irish and not one bit Catholic.

I loved my FIL...he was truly Scot through and through. He had mellowed some by the time he was 90, and died shortly before his 91st birthday....he died in Jan. '05.

Anyway, thanks again for the new knowledge.

8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I walked the seventeenth and eighteenth holes at the Old Course in St. Andrews, Scotland, on a grey, frigid day about twenty years ago today. I didn't have money to play the course, and I would have hurt my hands in striking the golf ball, it was so cold.

I have a fair amount of Scottish in me, on my mother's side. I'm also a huge fan of Scottish music, especially traditional. Now, if I could only play guitar like Tony McManus or sing like Dick Gaughan.

9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Nice to "meet" you Ken.
    Glad to hear you like Traditional Scottish Music,but I haven't really heard too much about Tony McManus or Dick Gaughan but it's something I will certainly check into.I did a quick search on Tony McManus' website & found out that he played in Ontario,Canada(Registry Theatre Kitchener)last night(1 Dec),so indeed he must be quite well known,tapping into the ex-pat community & all that.
    I like the Scottish Bagpipe band music & the well-known Scottish songs such as Scotland The Brave,Northern Lights of Aberdeen & I Belong to Glasgow,in fact I was listening to an old Glen Daly CD the other night to celebrate St Andrew's Night.
    I haven't played golf at St Andrew's either but used to go on holiday there as a kid to Kinkell Braes Caravan Park,which overlooks the town.It's a beautiful place but as you say can be very cold at times but us Scots get very used to that,LOL.
    Best Wishes,Paul
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

We have aradio show on National Public Radio in the states, called "The Thistle and Shamrock." It's hosted by a Scottish woman, Fiona Ritchie, and has a lot of terrific traditional music from Ireland and Scotland. That's how I first got into Celtic music.

I vividly remember the sound of bagpipes, as I walked through Edinburgh. The power of the music gave me chills.

Are you able to travel up into the Highlands when the weather is nice? What a glorious place.

Did you used to play much golf? I watch the Barkley's Scottish Open every year. The Loch Lomond course is beautiful.

11. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Ken,
    I also like Irish music as well as the Scottish so i'm glad you get a Celtic radio show over there in the states.The only outlet we get such music over here is on Radio Scotland.You should probably check out their website as you'll probably be able to hear over the net. www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radioscotland/

I had a quiet chuckle when you mentioned the Highlands because although the scenery up there is absolutely breathtaking you tend to find that us Townies in the Glasgow & Central area tend to go abroad to Spain & even to England on holiday before we would consider going up north.So i'm a little ashamed to say I rarely go up to the Highlands,strange people that we are.

I used to enjoy playing golf but as the Fibro is pretty bad in my neck & back i've not played for a while although I do enjoy watching it.I was at Troon a few years back to watch The Open,oh & I did enjoy the Ryder Cup this year,LOL(don't mean to rub it in,hehe).
    good to chat with you,hope your well,