hard knots deep in the muscles

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by winsco1, May 14, 2010.

1. winsco1

winsco1 New Member

I can feel hard knots very deep in the muscles of my arms and legs. They are tender to touch. Does anyone else have this?
  2. quanked

quanked Member

all over my body--some are more tender than others.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

sounds like Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome......if so, they are called trigger points and there is something called a theracane that can help somewhat (it's painful to use it, but it helps loosen the knots up a bit)
  4. winsco1

winsco1 New Member

Thanks, I can try but I don't know if I can tolerate that. I cant even stand to get a gentle massage.
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

The only thing that works for me are those "spot magnets". I've used them for over 30 years, and they literally loosen up those knots. I know when to remove them when I can touch the areas and the knots are no longer there.
  6. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

They are in fact tiny bumps of muscle fiber that won't let go and relax.

The Triggerpoint Therapy Workbook by Davies is the bible on this stuff. It's well worth reading just the first couple chapters.

I find heat helps, especially infrared heat, cold is awful, muscle relaxing drugs don't work, but benzos like xanax do.

One way to relax them is to press hard for 60-90 seconds. When you release, new blood flows into them and they often let go. It hurts, but the relief is great.

Trigger points can pop up almost anywhere and often refer pain to a different location entirely. My wife has one on her hip that makes her lower leg feel numb.

They aren't the same as the tender points of fibro at all.