Hard to keep faith in times of crashes

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by dove1, Nov 3, 2003.

1. dove1

dove1 New Member

I thought my faith was so strong until I started getting worse and then "Why me, I was a fairly faithful servant..don't you need me able bodied?"

Please pray that I grow in spiritual perspective and maturity via my illness.

Blesssings,
    Dove
  2. Waldene

Waldene New Member

Dear Dove,

I know exactly how you feel. There are times that I just want to throw a big "pity party." But, I know that some GOOD is going to come from this one day. In Romans 8:28, the scripture tells us that "all things work to the good of those that love the Lord." Hang in there. I'm praying for you.

Have you ever read the book by Corrie ten Boom called "The Hiding Place'? Corrie and her sister Betsy were sent to a concentration camp for hiding Jews during the war. They had smuggled pages of a Bible and were witnessing to others there. They were also being eaten alive by fleas. Betsy, whose faith was phenomenal, gave thanks to God one night even for the fleas. Her sister, Corrie, was beside herself. She just couldn't understand. Betsy reminded her that we are to give thanks for all things. Later the SS men stormed in to search their barracks. They fled seconds later because of the fleas. Had they found the Bible, it would have meant death to all who were imprisoned there.

I'm not preaching . . . it's just that this story helps remind me that God is in control and He will never give me more than I can handle. Maybe it will help you too.

I'm praying for you.

Waldene
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Sending prayers up for you as you requested. I`m glad you found us, we certainly understand how hard it is.

Love,
    Sandyz
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Dove, I also have been where you are. There were times in my life that was worst than this illness I have now. But you know, as hard as it is to be faithful, God does have a plan for us no matter what we are going through, or where we are at in our christian walk.

What the Apostle Paul said has brought me through many painful times, here is the Scripture that helped the most, Paul's thorn in the side;

2 Corinthians 12: 8-10 'For this thing I have besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

(9)And he said unto me, 'My grace is sufficent for thee: for my strength is made perfect in WEAKNESS'. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

(10) Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am WEAK, then am I STRONG. (KJV)

Dove, I though like you are thinking right now, 'don't you need me to be able to do Your work?', I was also very active in church and out. I spent more time at church somedays than I spent at home. I was always teaching, witnessing, helping other people, and did everything around the church short of mopping :)

This went on for over twenty years, and yet, for the last ten years I did all that I could with FM.

But the Lord has His reasons for allowing us to be what we consider 'inactive', why? In my case, like Paul I at times was depending on my STRENGTH, and what I knew!

Now I depend on the Lord's strenght, I am forever asking Him: 'Lord, please give me your strength to do this and that'. Before this, I simply did what I wanted too.

When I am aggravated with this illness, I simply say; 'Lord, you made this body, please give me YOUR strength to deal with this pain (etc), or if you will have mercy on me, then let this pass'. He never fails me.

Like Paul, He has shown me that I needed His strength, He could not use me in the way He wanted, because I depended on my own strength in the past.

Yes, I do believe the Lord can heal all of us, but there are times He says; 'NO'. When He tells me NO, then I ask for the grace to accept His will, and not question it.

I asked that he spare my Father, He said no, my Mother, He said no, my precious Brother, He said no. He wanted then in heaven, I wanted them with me on earth.

Even though I have only my husband, children, and grandchildren now, the Lord has given me His grace to accept His will, to trust Him, and to have His love to sustain me through all the above. I do not know the reasons for any of this, but I do know He is perfect, and there is a perfect reason for everything He does, or allows.

I should feel like an orphan, but you know what? I have a heavenly Father who loves me, and takes care of me!

God did not promise us an easy life here on earth, but I am a firm believer that we are but pilgrims passing through this life to a more perfect home that is heavenly, where there is no pain, no heartache, and we will again see those who have went before us.

This pain is nothing compared to what He suffered, an innocent man, for the sins of the whole world............

God bless, and I am sorry I got on my soapbox!

Shalom, Shirl

5. danny3861

danny3861 New Member

Hello Dove, welcome. God bless you.

I hope that you continue coming and visiting this Wirship board as I'm sure your fing that your faith in the /lord will be strengthened. I was having a difficult time up until I found this board back in august. I spent most of this year asking that same question "Why". But the more time I spent here and asking others for their prayers for me and my family. I've had others give me advice that have certainly sustained me in ruff times. But the one thing I have found are ways to have a constant connection with the /lord and constant prayers. The hardest time for me has always been mornings, the moment /i open my eyes, I got a sick feeling of how I would survive the day. While I am on some meds, this board has strengthened my faith in the Lord and to thank him each day for the many blessing ihe has given me.

Dear Lord, please walk with Dove every moment of the day, hold her hand and let her feel your presence. Give her the peace and comfort she neds, and the strength she needs to endure this hard time. Lift her up high and jude her closer to you. In Jesus name, amen.

Danny
  6. Showers

Showers New Member

I know what you mean. It is easy to get down when we don't feel good. I have had my private pitty parties. Doesn't get me no where. I have learned not to let myself go there.

Take care ~
  7. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I used to go through pity parties too. Sometimes it is the way its suppposed to be. You can learn from the pity parties, and grow spiritually from them.

There is purpose to the pain. Though you do not see that right now, there is. I will pray that you will come to realize it is so.

God Bless!

Sunshyne
  8. dove1

dove1 New Member

Thank you all for taking time time to "minister to me."
    Most of you shared thoughts and personal experiences that were inspriring and comforting.

For those who used the term "pity party."
    This term to me implies sulking over a trivial matter and does not give justice to the normal adjustment period one goes through with this disease. Please consider your words wisely if your intent is to reach out and encourage another. Thanks for your consideration. Since I wish to avoid comments like this, I will no longer be visiting the Worship Board.
  9. Babyboomer

Babyboomer New Member

Dear Dove,

I do not know the particular circumstances for your distress,but I would like to offer a prayer up on your behalf. I would like to say that in my walk with my diseases of Parkinsons and Depression, my friends and I have daily chats. Some we simply call "pity parties" whereby we let go and let God and our friends help us through some rough times. It is a term that to me means sharing our trials and tribulations with friends and having them share with me. It is in alot of ways a healing method for many, just being able to lay their problems out and having the comfort of knowing there are many people who care what you are going through and want to help.

Please don't take the term "pity party" as something meant as trivial, because those who use the term are simply trying to reach out to you and comfort you as best as they can.

I will lift you up in prayer, and also those who cared enough for you to respond to your post. They said what was in their hearts, and it was meant to be a comfort and not something to be taken lightly. This is such a wonderful room full of Christian people who are so caring that they take the time to lift people up in prayer and offer as much love and compassion as can be offered over the internet.

I would hate to see you leave and miss the blessings you can receive just by being in this Worship Room.

God bless you and yours,
    Friends in Christ,
    Sandi
  10. kim840

kim840 New Member

I loved your post. I agree wholeheartedly. We must keep our eyes on the goal and yield to whatever God is doing and not be lured away by our circumstances. I love that story about Corrie and Betsy. It speaks volumes!

Corrie was a faithful servant and she had her pity parties you can be sure. Yet, just as David and so many others in the Bible, God sustained them, used them, and then rewarded them!

God Bless You Guys!
    Marcia
  11. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Sorry if you were offended in any way Dove. Sorry to see you go. Too bad you cannot stick around and talk it out. My comments were not intentially meant to offend or cause you any hurt feelings whatsoever.

Sunshyne

12. Waldene

Waldene New Member

Dear Dove,

I haven't been on the Board in quite awhile. This morning I decided to check in and saw that you had been hurt by the term "pity party" that I used in my response. This makes me want to cry.

I am so very sorry if I hurt you. It was not intentional. To me "pity party" is not trivial. What I call "pity party" are the times, I am so low that I just want to give up and believe me I've had more than a few. Never would I refer to the symptoms that have changed our lives so drastically in a trivial manner.

I, too, wonder why God would allow us to come to the point that we physically can NOT serve him in the church. I'm still trying to hold down a full-time job and there is not a hour in even one day that I don't hurt somewhere. I can't afford to quit my job. Every morning, I sit in my car in the parking lot and ask God for the strength to walk across the street and down the long hall to my office. LITERALLY!! My feet hurt constantly every step I take is pain. I'm so tired that I would love to just curl up and cry BUT (for me) I will not give in. If we do that we have allowed the devil a victory. God is still there for us, even in the times we feel so lost and forgotten.

Please don't let a "phrase" keep you from joining in. We need prayer and prayer partners more than ever. Again, I am truthfully sorry if I brought you more pain. Please forgive me and come back for the support we all need.

"Father, please be with my sister Dove. Guide her to the Board today, Father, that she may see these other posts. Open her heart God to the understanding that no one meant to hurt her. Give her Your peace, Your comfort, Your strength. Forgive me, Father, for causing further harm/hurt to one in pain.

In the name of Jesus. Amen"
  13. advancewithcourage

advancewithcourage New Member

I have found that it is through such times that God shows us the areas where we still have to change and grow. It is here He shows us our own faithlessness and inadequacies, so we can go to Him and be cleansed and blessed.

Without these times, I become proud of my own spiritual progress and then I tend to lose compassion for other struggling souls who feel their faith failing. An uncompassionate Christian is not a very effective tool in the hands of the Master.

So God allows me to still go through times of discouragement and failure, so I can be someone to lean on when others find themselves in those times. Then perhaps someone like you will have worked through your time of discouragement and gleaned truth from it you can share with me!