Hard to shave your legs?? And losing my hair...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by franners, Jul 2, 2003.

1. franners

franners New Member

It is torture to shave my legs. I get that pins and needles as soon as I start putting soap on and then again as the blade glides over my skin..
    Life isn't fair!! Why do men get to have the hairy legs?? Well, come to think of it, I don't think I want hairy legs...
    And when I was thirty (sigh, those were the days) the dermatologist said I had male pattern baldness going on and rosacea (which now he thinks was a malar rash).. The bald spots don't go up far, but when I comb my hair I get a good bit back it even falls to the floor as I comb.. I do not have dry hair and I have cut it very short now (easier to take care of). Any suggestions?? I do take vitamins..
    Thanks in advance!!
  2. mycatprint

mycatprint New Member

I had to stop shaving my legs about 2 years ago. And the hair removal creams all either bother my skin or my lungs. Waxing, I found to be even more torture. My husband has grown used to it now. I live in a fairly hot climate and wear shorts in the summer -- and NO ONE has mentioned it or treated me differently because I have hairy legs. For me that meant another wives tale bit the dust, and I am relieved. lol

However, I have grieved over all the "small" changes I have had to make to adapt to living with FMS. Some of them don't feel so small! Sometimes it feels like I am forced to remake my personal identity so often, I wonder how anyone ever recognizes me. But, so far I have been able to eventually learn to feel good about myself even when I have to make adaptations which are not "socially correct."

My heart goes out to you, and my prayers are with you. The WHO that you are will shine forth even if it is in a different package than it used to be.

hugs from Cat
  3. franners

franners New Member

Thanks Cat.. Your words are inspirational.. I am just blue today I guess.. It is so beautiful outside and I don't dare go out. I normally have a big veggie garden and can and everything, but I have not been able to do so for the last two years.. I am the only one in my "use to be" group of friends that didn't drink and I was the clown for the evening...They had a party (hog roast)and I found out accidently.. Was told, "well I thought you couldn't tolerate it."... you're right, I do miss me..
    Thanks again..
    God bless..
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Fran, as far as baldness or thinning hair, I think it's somewhat common in women (at least the thinning part). It just isn't publicized much. Yet. But it falling out while you're combing it would be a concern. Have you talked to your doctor?

As far as shaving your legs, either let it grow like whoever replied. Or you can try different soaps. Or an electric razor (try to get one that you can use while plugged in--mine has to be recharged and it's annoying to have only one leg done.

Women shaving legs is an American deal. We all know they don't do it in France.... You could move it if bugs you that much! ;-)
  5. franners

franners New Member

This was a Dermatologist I went to.. They all know it and have said nothin'.. I do get to go to Rhuematologist on the nineth.. And will consult with him. I have filled out his paper work and on it it has a place to list all of our symptoms and then a place to circle other symptoms so it covers just about every thing. It was always very fine.. I just see all those women with that long beautiful hair and envy them so much..
    Thank you for being there...
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It pulls the hair out by the roots. I've been doing it for years, back to the old days of the painful Epilady. I now have an epilator made by Emjoi which is much less painful. I am used to it by now and my hair is so fine and silky that it doesn't take much to yank it out. I do it every week as hair doesn't grow in at the same rate and doing it weekly means only having to remove about 1/3 of the hair at once. It's not for everyone, but there is no stubble and you can actually go a month to 6 weeks in between. The Emjoi has two speeds and I use it under my arms and even on my bikini line.

The reason I do my flexing and stretching exercises is so that I am able to continue doing my pedicures and hair removal. BTW, I also have a large area on my right leg which is semi-numb and feels like pins and needles too. I don't trust the nail salons and have seen the terrible disfigurement from bacteria from unsanitary conditions at nail salons on TV. The last thing I need is picking up some horrible bacteria.

Love, Mikie
  7. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Ah, hairy legs. Hair - in places I don't like it - has been one of the banes of my existence. Have you had your hormones checked? When I flew through menopause, my hair got very thin and started to fall out. But now it's fine - I'm on the patch. Also, you might look into laser treatment for hair removal. It's a bit expensive, but once you get it done, it's forever. I had it done under my chin and it only took 4 sessions, once a month. It stings just a little, but I think it's worth it. You might check it out!

Annette2
  8. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Shaving is so very difficult for me and has been since
    I hurt my back. It is the worst. Sometimes I have
    to have my mother do it for me if I am going to the
    dr. It depends on how I am feeling.

When those epil. shavers first came out I got one.
    It was before my herniated disc diagnosis. When I
    shaved one leg, it didn't hurt at all. The other leg
    it hurt. The leg that didn't hurt was numb!
    It was very painful!

I often wonder how electrolysis would do.
    I hate hairy legs but do have them a lot because
    I can't do them.

Franners-
    Have you been tested for polycystic ovarian disease?
    The two symptoms you mentioned are both
    symptoms of PCOS. You need a fasting insulin
    test and hormonal tests. I was originally diagnosed
    with just the fasting insulin and then an endocrinologist
    did the rest.

Lynn
  9. kats1978

kats1978 New Member

I know that this might sound sick but what I have learned that I have to do is to actually begain my shower, turn down the water and then in the middle start to shave my legs.
  10. franners

franners New Member

Well, my thyroid runs fine. I had a total hysterectomy four years ago d/t endometriosis.. My ovaries were completely covered (had symptoms for years but they kept saying I was too young. I'm talkin' symptoms in my mid twenties.)and the doc said I wasn't getting any hormones. After that she had me on premarin. I hated it.. Was constantly sick, had hot flashes constantly. It was terrible. I used it for years with the same symptoms and it is the lowest dose. I weaned myself off of it (was already having fibro symptoms and the losing hair crap)and felt sooo much better. And still do. I have no hot flashes even. I take 1500mg of oyster shell a day and my vitamins and feel just soooo much better with out hormones. Don't ask me why. Oh, I was already depressed before the diagnosis of the endo....
    Thanks to all of you great people......
  11. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Its too painful for me to shave my legs. Its too painful to bend my knees, to try and reach down, I feel so unbalanced too when shaving. I am afraid I will fall and hurt myself. I usually shower when shaving. I don't even attempt just taking a bath and doing it, hurts too much to stand and then sit, pull myself out of the bathtub.

I think if I had a bar in the shower, like to hold onto, it would make it a little easier.
  12. Jen F

Jen F New Member

which surprises me, since I never noticed other women in my family losing hair as they aged.

I take vitamins too.

I don't have any bald spots yet, but even hairdressers notice how much of my hair that comes out during an appointment. It's not terribly dramatic, but I'm sure that at this rate over time i will end up with bald spots. I guess I'm fortunate that I started out with a lot of hair follicles to begin with.

About the shaving legs thing:

sometimes I wish it was socially acceptable to have hairy armpits and legs, but with a shaved head. :)

would be much less work!!