Hard to Swallow

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chrissy2, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Chrissy2

Chrissy2 New Member

Hi!

Does anyone else have problems swallowing, especially when they are laying down? I find that when I'm laying down to sleep for the night, I have a hard time swallowing. I can make a swallow happen, but I have to do it differently, and it takes more effort.

Chrissy
  2. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

I think all of us with FM have these sorts of problems...GGRRRR Mine is when I eat..I have to chew and chew and chew...LOL
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Do you have panic attacks also? If so, this may be part of the anxiety problem, and many of us have this, esp. those with a Mitral Valve Prolapse.
    If not, and it keeps up, you may want to see an ENT doc just to make sure there is no problem with your esophagus. I have had the same problem, and it was due to taking fish oil, which backed up and caused spasms.
    Some of the meds we take, esp. relaxants like Xanax, can make the valve keeping food in our stomachs loose and it will back up when we lay down, causing spasms, hoarseness and pain. This can be dx'd as GERD, another common problem in Fibro pts. Often just changing the time we take a medicine, or the time we eat, can fix it. In addition, calcium citrate supps. at meals can help GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease) immensely.
    Klutzo