Harmon replacements

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kay, Nov 22, 2002.

1. kay

kay New Member

I need to know if premeron (please excuse my spelling) is ok to take?? My sister in law has put my mom back on this and I am soooo mad. Mom mom is 73 and has osteoproroses? I have heard so much about this premeron and other replacements, and i dont want her on them. She was on them for years and had gotton off them. My sister in law is a nurse and likes to play the roll toooo much when it comes to med. Yes I love her dearly, but not when it comes to meds, plays doctor a little to much. Mom is taking oscal and caral calcium, and I feel that, that is enough!! What is good for her to take, besides meds??? Thanks so much. Linda
  2. kay

kay New Member

I need to know if premeron (please excuse my spelling) is ok to take?? My sister in law has put my mom back on this and I am soooo mad. Mom mom is 73 and has osteoproroses? I have heard so much about this premeron and other replacements, and i dont want her on them. She was on them for years and had gotton off them. My sister in law is a nurse and likes to play the roll toooo much when it comes to med. Yes I love her dearly, but not when it comes to meds, plays doctor a little to much. Mom is taking oscal and caral calcium, and I feel that, that is enough!! What is good for her to take, besides meds??? Thanks so much. Linda
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I would discuss this with your Mom's doc. There is still so much controversy over HRT. I plan to discuss it with my doc in Dec. when I get my Pap. I do get heart palpitations when I go off my HRT. I think a lot of the decision-making process depends on family risk factors.

I don't like Premarin because it is made from pregnant horse urine and contains only one type of estrogen. I take Estrace which is much closer to the estrogen produced in the human body. Also, I have read how horribly the horses who produce the urine for Premarin are mistreated.

Good luck.
  4. kay

kay New Member

I also have heard that about urine being in it! My mom is in NV. and I am in Tn. I am going to call my sister who lives there and see what the heck is going on. My mom also has dementia, and is already on alot of pills and I hate her taking more. My sister in law put her on them not my moms doctor. Like I said sometimes she tries to play doctor to much. If my mom has to be on any, I will have my sister check out what you are on. My sister will have a fit though. Se is totally alternatives!!!!! Thank you for you time, Linda
  5. lucky

lucky New Member

have you ever researched on the newest drug by Eli Lilly, called EVISTA. It is really worthwhile to look into it, it is not an estrogen replacement, but an estrogen receptor (?)and is especially for people like your Mom who have osteoporosis and do not like to be on HRT. Good luck, Lucky
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

When you go off estrogen supplements the bones take a big negative in their density. If you go back on them and them and go off again you will get another big negative. For someone with osteop. more damage could be done to her long term health going offf the second time than just staying the course. Ask her Dr. This is not a place for self med.
  7. kalynn1

kalynn1 New Member

For what it's worth... My Grandma who is 73 has taken Premarin for 40 years! She's healthy!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

From what I understand, only one of the estrogens in Premarin is equal to what is produced in humans. Estrace has two other types which more closely resemble what is produced by the human body in combination. I do know that I had to take increasingly higher doses of Premarin until I had maxed out and that is when my doc changed me to Estrace which I have been able to decrease over time.

The reports of abuse have been fairly well documented. Where have you received your info that these horses live lives of luxury? I have never known any company making money off of animals to provide them lives of luxury. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I would be interested in the source of your info.

Love, Mikie
  9. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

Check out the website www.menopause-online.com...you'll get some extrememly informative information. It's my lifeline for HRT like this site is for my CFS. I take Femhrt, I'm 46 and my mother who is 68 takes it, too. She took Premarin for many years and her doctor took her off of it because there has been a lot of reports of problems...go onto the site I mentioned above and read the articles for yourself. Do your homework...check out EVERYTHING!!! It's very important to be informed about your choices. Another good site to go to is www.webmd.com. You can search ANYTHING on that site and it's very reliable information. If you need further sites, just let me know...I'll give you some more. Hope you check them out and find out what you need. #1Writer
  10. lucky

lucky New Member

I think more homework is probably required on your Premarin message. I for one would not take Premarine if there are other choices available. The estrogen patches in various strength are much healthier because they do bypass the liver and gallbladder, etc. Have you ever heard that Premarinepills might cause gallbladder stones? There are great new products out, one patch is with soya and you cannot have them more natural than that. Also, it gives these poor mares a break. Kind regards, Lucky