Has 5HTP helped your mood?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Jun 20, 2006.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I've been reading good things about this amino, and my son has had some depression. That's understandable. He doesn't know if he'll ever get well. He haven't been prescribed an AD, and so far I'm kinda glad, but if he needs one we'll do it. Just wondering if anyone has noticed less depression with the 5-HTP. Thanks, Terri
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

5HTP helps with the amino Tryptophane.........sleep issues.
    But I haven't noticed any change in "mood".

Depression is helped with the "UP" amino L-tyrosine (taken in the morning, or might hinder sleep). Also Licorice Extract & several other "herbs" at the health food store are helpful as well. There's one I tried, but it was too strong for me, but a good helper at a health food store would know, as it's very popular.

LIGHT*************carole
  3. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I've found that 5HTP helps "smooth down" the uneasiness and irritation that goes with depression.

I notice a feeling of well-being, and then being able to sleep sweetly later.

Best to you both :)

Roseblossom

4. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

My sister is bi-polar and not on any medication.

She recently (4-5 months ago)started taking the 5HTP and it has helped her tremendously with her moods and depression. She takes it before bed and says she is sleeping better than she has in years.

It would certainly be worth a try.

I have just bought some and going to try it on my own daughter. She suffers with anxiety and depression.

Maia
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I may have him try it...I don't think it would hurt and it might help. Thanks for writing! Terri
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member