Has a vegetarian diet helped anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shootingstar, Aug 4, 2006.

1. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I am considering trying a vegetarian diet. Any input from people who have tried this?

Also any recommendations for cookbooks with easy to prepare recipes.

[This Message was Edited on 08/04/2006]
  2. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

have been for 4+ years. I have a severe meat intolerance
    so I can't eat the stuff. Your taste buds will change with you.

I have no meat in the house and my husband never complains, he loves everything I fix.

I'll give you a quick and easy recipe even my mom has started making.

Mock tuna salad: Drain a can of garbonzo beans(chick peas)
    Mash them up well, add mayo, salt & pepper to taste. I also love sweet relish with it.

Make a sandwich or stuff a tomato. It's good...

I'll give you more info as I can..

Be looking for me
    rain

3. rainorshine

rainorshine New Member

what i've noticed with veggie cookbooks is they have ALOT of ingrediance. Expensive. To start just modify the meal you make already.

Veggie dogs (morning star), veggie burgers(boca).
    Try (morning star) soy crumbles instead of ground beef.
    In things like chili,(great on veggie dogs),stroganoff, or whatever.

I get the Kraft magazine and like to modify alot of those EASY recipes. Vegetarian times has some neat stuff(don't really agree with there articles).
    Veggie life is good. I'd recomend that one first.

I could talk all day about this. So if you would like more info let me know. GLAD to help!!!!!

Eat well,
    rain
  4. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

How about "The Moosewood Cookbook"? That one has some good basic recipes.

Forebearance
  5. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I'll try the garbanzos. Thank you! I still have some meat in the freezer, so will be transitioning into this. I don't think I have a reaction to soy, but am glad to be forewarned. And will check out the Moosewood cookbook. I'm doing this in part to see what effect reducing animal fat might have on how I feel.

I cooked a (what appeared to be)lean crockpot roast the other day, refrigerated most of it to reuse, and was amazed at the amount of hardened fat that had congealed on the surface. Threw the hardened fat out, but it made me wonder just how much fat we consume with cooked meat without even being aware. Doesn't seem like it would be healthy. So wondered if anyone had noticed a difference with a primarily vegitarian diet. Thank you all who responded.