Has Antibiotics Helped Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jul 30, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Ever since I have had CFS/FM when given an antibiotic for a sinus infection I noticed how much better I felt with my CFS/FM symptoms.

After finishing the antibiotic in about a week all my symptoms return, also the sinus or whatever makes me so miserable.

I have been reading that doctors are beginning to treat CFS with antibiotics.

My lyme test was negative but not sure what type or lab was used.

The only so called "good" days are the ones after about the 4th day on an antibiotic . I had to go back to the doc
    the first of the week with what they call sinus but I so doubt but I did get an antiboitic with 2 refills . This is a month of treatment so going to try it and if it works then I think I might be on to something that I can go back to the doc with.

Then like most of all the meds I try they seem to work for awhile don't want to get my hopes up.

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Antibiotics can temporarily decrease the amount of inflamtion in your body.

It could also be that you are feeling better because the ABX is also clearing up your infection.

My doctor told me she has seen a lot of people with FM/CFS helped when taking a medication to reduce inflammation.

She gave me a prescription for a NSAID which does not have as many side effects with your stomach as the over the counter NSAIDS.

Does your doctor know that you will be taking antibiotics for a month without symptoms of a sinus infection or are you still having the symptoms and that is why you have been on them for a month?

You might want to call about this as there can be serious side effects if you take long term antibiotics unless medically necessary. Long term use can make you develop a resistance to antibiotics. However you need to balance the risks with the benefits.

Sometimes with a sinus infection you do need more than one does of ABX. But again, I would talk to your doctor.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 07/31/2008]
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I take bufferin for inflammation and it does helps with my body aches. My doc said that this was ok.

About the antibiotics, I am really scared of taking them but seems they help so much with my head issues. The vertigo, anxiety etc. for a few days after being on them I have some good days which are few and far between.

I am not sure what to do, today I feel like I am going crazy, not sure if I am in a flare or its a sinus thing.

I will have to admit that once I get to feeling better I stop my antibiotics never take finish the Rx. may be one reason for the return of the sinus or whatever.

Heck, I doubt my Dx all the time, I feel I am one mental case.

I do have an appointment with an immuneologist Tues. if I am able to go since its out of town.

Today I feel so bad, crying, aching but this crazy head thing is about to make me lose my mind. So guess I will start the antibiotic and hope it helps . I have already had bufferin and xanax.

Now I am venting, thanks and God Bless,

4. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Let us know how you do on the antibiotics.

Just wanted to give you a gentle hug Greatgran. :)

Take care, Susan
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Glad you are going to the immunogist.

You are correct that you should continue to take the antibiotics even if feeling better to make sure you get rid of the bacteria. Especially with a sinus infections as those nasties can be in places that are hard to reach with the first round of antibiotic.

Could it be your sinus's and a flare? It can be so frustrating trying to figure out what symptoms are from our DD and which are not.

It is perfectly normal to feel the way you do with the anxiety, etc. You are not feeling well. This DD can make anyone anxious, so do not beat yourself up about it.

However if the anxiety continues, you might want to talk to your doctor.

Take care.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sure you may remember all my posts on Doxycycline. You can do a search and find them. It was a HUGE part of my healing from the chronic mycoplasma infection.

Love, Mikie
  7. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

have been in them for Lyme; first round was Cipro & Zithromax and it did not make and change I could see. am now on Dozycycline and again, no difference. however now that the SS has been approved, I wonder if Dr Brewer will put me on the iv antibiotics he seems so fond of; I understand Medicare will cover 28 days of that. will be interesting to see....
  8. frango2

frango2 New Member

I am getting my life back. My CFIDS was caused by Lyme. I was sick for 6 years, severely ill since 2005 when I started treatment. I have been on antibiotics for over two years. I took a 6 months break.

The effects I have had are not due to anti-inflammatory or analgesic properties of antibiotics. Look them up... they are not that powerful at either.

I won't go into it more here since the Lyme angle is so controversial. If anyone is interested you can search my posts on this site for more information on how much antibiotics have helped me get better.

My Lyme caused problems with every major organ in my body. I also had elevated CMV, EBV, HHV-6, Parvovirus. I have not taken any anti-virals. Frankly, they scare me more than antibiotics.
  9. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Yes, pretty much they have helped me learn they work for around a week (when taken for sinus and lymphs infections) while I'm taking say a 10-day course.

At the end of the ten days, the sinus and lymphs sometimes feel a little better but not totally so dr hands me a scrip for another ten days' worth.

I've given up on abx because having to take them every month for 10 to 20 days only to have the problems return just didn't make sense to me...and they caused constipation and what a friend calls "butt burps," lol.

A while back I posted (or maybe wrote to an e-friend, who remembers?) that Grapefruit Seed Extract also called GSE works for drippy sinuses, sore throat, and sore-swollen lymphs.
    I bought a 2 oz bottle GSE in our local health store. The manufacturer is NutriBiotics and, because I mis-read the too-tiny print on the label, started out and have continued with 13 drops twice a day instead of the ten drops I would have started with, if I had a magnifying glass.

One must put it in water or juice or tonic water. Label instructions say NOT to use it undiluted.
    That's easy; undiluted it tastes exactly as if a grapefruit seed has been bitten into.

If you are interested run Grapefruit Seed Extract or NutriBiotics through Google or whatever searcher your computer uses.

So far, my sinuses are clearing out, lymphs are greatly reduced, ditto the pain of the silly things that swell up so badly and I don't have a sore throat any more.

Thank goodness! I was getting so tired of the effects of the antibiotics and am very happy to have found something that 1) is real as compared to having been whomped up in a lab somewhere and had who knows what sort of fillers or binders added and 2) helps me.

Please, though, remember Rule One about how Everybody's Different. Just because this stuff helps me it doesn't necessarily mean it will work as well for you. I surely hope it does, though, if you give it a try.

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm on Bactrim and Flagyl. It's probably e-Coli from a hamburger but it could also be diverticulitis or colitis. I've lost 8 pounds in a week. That's good but not the way to lose weight. I am on a very bland diet.

Of course, this is not a long-term ABX treatment, like the Doxy. It's just that I'm glad to have the ABX around when I need them.

Love, Mikie
  11. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each of you for your replies and input. I am going to an immunologist Tues. to be tested for possible food allergies, not sure what else will be done.

I do hope I will get some type of help or advise but have given up on doctors.

Will let you know what happens if I make it, since it is out of town.

God Bless,
  12. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I always feel better on antibiotics, just like a normal person. Even mentioned it to my doctor. Wish I could live on. I was tested for lyme at the Igenx lab and it came back negative. I have CFID and FM.

Good luck on your appointment and let us know how it goes.

13. frango2

frango2 New Member

if you don't already have them.

If you have a positive at even one of the following bands 23-25, 31, 34, 39, 83 or 93 then you have been exposed to the bacteria that causes Lyme.

The CDC's requirements of 3 bands on an IgM and 5 on an IgG are redundant.

There have been controls done to filter out Syphilis and other spirochetes from the Lyme bacteria. Thr bands that I mentioned above are so specific to Lyme that if any one of them shows up, you have your answer. In fact, Quest and LabCorp don't even report bands 31 and 34 because they were used to make the LymeRx vaccine that was taken off the market, but if you haven't been vaccinated then you shouldn't have those bands show up.

Igenex realized the importance of those two bands so they do report them. This is one of the reasons why Igenex is a better lab for Lyme testing.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2008]
  14. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I'll go on line to find the address and see if I could get the results. It was back in 2003 though.

15. Catseye

Catseye Member

Have you given up wheat and dairy?

Many people don't realize it, but their sinus problems are dairy related. Casein, the cow's milk protein, can make your immune system hypersensitive to other allegens like cats, dust and pollen and then you have a runny nose and sneeze all the time. When I gave up dairy, I put an end to 30 years of sinus problems. That means no milk, cheese, ice cream, butter or anything containing milk in any form.

I have read that raw milk may be tolerable to some people because it is the pasteurization and homogenization processes that alter the protein molecule to the point that the body perceives it as a foreign invader. This and the digestive system's inability to break down the "cooked" protein properly can have this effect. I did use raw milk myself for awhile and it kept me free of the sinus problems, but then I developed liver congestion anyway.

You have to stay of dairy a long time to know for sure, like 2-3 months. It's worth it if you are a long term cold and allergy medicine user and are just miserable most of the time. Hard to believe it's something so simple, but you won't find this advice from your doctor. They make way too much money with sinus drugs and follow up visits.

If you love milk, you can substitute nut milks. But you won't find a good alternative to regular cheese, though goats milke cheese is good. You can get some that is spreadable and it goes really well with gluten free crackers.

Most allergies are just the body's guts in a bad state and digestion not working. But you have to give up the offending foods while you fix them. If you overwork your adrenals, liver and immune system (the heart of which lies in the gut) with offending food, they can keep you sick.

Now that I'm fixing digestion, I can have butter again. I don't know that I'll ever consume dairy again regularly, though. There's just more bad than good about it, it's just "yummy" food, nothing more.
  16. simonedb

simonedb Member

why do antivirals scare you?
  17. munch1958

munch1958 Member

They have also helped me in imeasurable ways for Borrelia (Lyme), Babesia, Bartonella, Candida, CPN and EBV. I've been on a variety of Abx, B-HRT, probiotics and yeast meds for over 2 years with no ill effects. I've been on heparin for about 10 months.

I've ditched my daily migraines and other headaches, TMJ, GERD (am purple pill free for the first time in 20 years!), asthma, costochondritis, and joint and muscle pain. Yes, NO MORE FIBRO pain for me!

I did one year of AVs with no help at all. This was in the late 1990s. So it wasn't any of the newer generation meds.

If you believe like I do that Lyme is a chronic brain infection similiar to syphilis or relapsing fever then Abx are not so frightening considering the alternatives.

A spirochete is a spirochete after all! What makes them so hard to kill is they constantly change life forms. They are capable of drilling thru any tissue of the body so they can go anywhere epsecially across the blood, brain, barrier.

We know this because of the Tuskegee experiments. Google them to learn more. Anyone with syphilis must be tested at 3, 6, 9, 12, and 24 months post treatment to see if the infection has reimerged. Spirochetes convert to cyst form, shed blebs, and may possibly be a biofilm.

Since there is no test to say when the multiple infections are eradicated there is no way to know when to stop treatment. There is also no way to measure inflammation other than homeocysteine and CRP.

I had high levels of both before Abx but both of these markers for heart disease are no thankfully gone in my case. Even though my cholesterol was low I was a prime candidate for heart disease.

Methylation has helped me a great deal. I'm still taking Folapro, Intrinic factor, doing a methycobolamine shot everyday, and nebulizing glutathione with good results. My MCS is 100% gone.

Like many with Lyme, I have the immune suppression outcome of a Borreliosis infection. By this, I mean my immune system can't control pathogens that a normal person would be able to keep in check.
  18. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

One would come one, I would take ABX and slowly the sun would come out and I would feel so good! Without realizing it, I would slowly get worse again and feel awful and it seemed like the next sinus infection would come on that much faster and feel even worse! (although these would often be months apart) I actually had this strange yearning for ABX (which I thought was quite odd). I would look forward to each time I got to take them, like an addiction, if you could call it that...

Greatgran, like you, I tested essentially "negative" on my IGENEX tests (although with the Western Blot tests it's not as simple as a "yes" or "no" - it's complicated and there are bands that specify certain things like being "lyme specific"). I indeed had significant activity on my test and many were positive on these lyme specific bands. However, I wasn't considered a "positive" result because you need to have something like 5 positive bands and I had only 4. But those 4 still count!! It's not very black and white and leaves open a very big area of GRAY!

Also, to clarify, there are extremely rare false postives (if any). There are, however, many many false negatives. The reason for this, is it is testing our antibodies to lyme and if you've had lyme for a year or 17 years, then your body may not be producing these antibodies anymore. This occurs in people with chronic lyme. This greatly limits the usefulness of these tests on so many people because they have been sick for a long time. Lyme changes it's physical forms and also there are many different strains (literally hundreds), so one simple test is just not possible.

I believe the best way to know if you have lyme is if you have been thoroughly checked out for other illnesses and no one can tell you what is wrong except CFS/CFIDS/FM - then you have lyme! Also, if you take ABX and feel better, or even more so, you feel an amazing difference - then you have lyme!

If ABX improve your health, then you have a bacterial infection. Lyme is just that. Regardless of all of the naysayers, go by how you feel. If you feel improved by ABX, then it should tell you something.

I took Doxycycline for a month in March and improved DRAMATICALLY from it! I have also not had ONE SINGLE SINUS INFECTION SINCE!! I have my proof and I plan to get even better. I suggest that anyone who feels better after taking ABX consider lyme as a cause of all of your issues. Imagine getting the right ABX and feeling better for good!

Good luck! I want everyone here to find their answer.

All the best,