Has any F/M people ever had a test ran for Epstein virus.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dan0248, Jan 4, 2003.

1. dan0248

dan0248 New Member

One of my daughters has told me that I also need to be tested for this Epstein virus thing, sounds like something from the old sitcom show back about 20 years ago, Welcome back Carter, where Epstien would always have a note from his mother. I'd like to get a note for this DD. I'm having a harder time dealing with it the past couple of days. Maybe it's the holidays, maybe the fact that it's the holidays and I'm still out of work, and haven't heard a thing back from the SS people, that’s going on 6 weeks now. I want to just blow up, it is really wearing on me something terrible. I need to work, working makes me forget that I hurt, working makes feel safe, that's all I have ever done is work. I have a family to support I can’t be laid up like this, I can’t stand to laid up for nothing, heck when I’d get sick as child I’d hide somewhere in the house where it was dark and where I could just get over it. I want to get over this DD, I can't walk downstairs in my owen house with out a lot of pain, I'm getting sick of taking all those damn pills just to make it thru the day or to fall asleep at night. My hands don't hurt to much to type this but this isn't how I earn a living. Well sorry for the whinning, and as my kids say do you want some chesse to go with that wine.
  2. monom

monom Member

Many people in the begining with this DD,and their doctors thought it was causing by EBV.This argument was not accepted several year later.

Good luck

Monom
  3. cookie54

cookie54 New Member

I was tested and showed positive for a past infection. I think this has something to do with this DD.

cookie54
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Most of us have been exposed to EBV. If you had "mono" as a teenager, you've had EBV. It is only when it is currently reactivated that it may indicate that your immune system is not working up to par.
    EBV is not the cause of CFS, it is just one of many things that CFS may cause to flare up again, if you were exposed earlier, like most of us. EBV has nothing to do with FMS.
    KLutzo
  5. Tess0

Tess0 New Member

This was one of the first tests I had. I had the antibodies form the virus so I had it in the past. I believe I know when, but since the doctor thenthought it was in my head and suggested faith in God at the time as a cure, I just plugged away at life. It was never my imagination, though.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Like all Herpes-family viruses, EBV can lie dormant in the body and become reactivated when the immune system is compromised. Researchers are taking another look at chronic infections in the body and the role they may play in our illnesses. Some of the worst stealth infections are caused by viral fragments, not even complete viruses. This is an exciting new area of research, one which may eventually show promise in unraveling the mysteries of our illnesses.

Love, Mikie
  7. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Dear Dano:
    First, I am positive for epstein barr virus, too. Maybe there is a connection, who knows?
    The important thing I am reading here is your misery!!!Sounds like you are "sick" of this DD, and you certainly have a right to be!! As far as SSD, I have been waiting a court date with the judge for at least 7 months. My attorney says it could take up to 1 year or more to be heard before the judge. So, hang in there!!!
    I hope you can find a job soon, anything to keep you busy. I know how you feel. I haven't worked for 4 years.I was the type who worked 2 jobs and took care of the kids, house, etc too. I think alot of us fms er's have been hard workers at one time. Wonder if that plays into the diagnosis too????
    Don't worry about venting - this is the place for it - it's not whining at all. We all feel overwhelmed with this DD at times. Thank heavens it's not all the time. You have alot of friends here to hear you , so vent anytime.
    sincerely,
    sue
  8. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

i have tested positive for EBV FOR YEARS! Also mycroplasma. Have cfs & fibro. Have been in a bad flare since the holidays and haven't been on the borad for a while. Feel much better now:)) I always wonder if you number is high (8) does that mean it is active??? Linda
  9. jlouise

jlouise New Member

I spent Christmas 2001 by myself, with Epstein-Barr(AKA- Mono) in fear that I might spread it. I did not realize at the time that I had it, I was diagnosed with strep throat and sinus infection. When I could not function after taking the antibiotics and was unable to work, I went back to the doctor. Another flimsy diagnosis, migraine headaches. After about a month and several E.R. visits later, A nice young doctor ordered blood tests. He asked me who I had been kissing because I had Epstein-Barr Virus(Mono). I told him I hadn't in months, and then mentioned that I have Fibromyalgia. He said it is not uncommon to have Epstein-Barr with FM, and that it can rear its ugliness even if you have had FM for years. It took 3 months to feel like I was alive, and another 3 months to get back to my FM normal. Hang in there!!!