Has any one been told they are just getting old.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ATlike, Oct 21, 2002.

1. ATlike

ATlike New Member

I was told today I am just getting old, and everyone has my problems. I am new to this FM since I was just told in July I had it. However, I have been sick bad for two years. I was really glade to find this board to Vent. I am a stay at home mom who is homeschooling 3 boys. I am active in my church and love working with the kids. Here lately it is all getting harder. I keep thinking I am going to wake up and feel great, know needles in my feet or stiffness in my hole body, then pain all day and by the end of the day I can hardly walk. My legs have hurt since my last child 4 years ago, but the last 8 months it has moved up to my upper body.

Thank you all for being here.

God Bless
  2. ATlike

ATlike New Member

I was told today I am just getting old, and everyone has my problems. I am new to this FM since I was just told in July I had it. However, I have been sick bad for two years. I was really glade to find this board to Vent. I am a stay at home mom who is homeschooling 3 boys. I am active in my church and love working with the kids. Here lately it is all getting harder. I keep thinking I am going to wake up and feel great, know needles in my feet or stiffness in my hole body, then pain all day and by the end of the day I can hardly walk. My legs have hurt since my last child 4 years ago, but the last 8 months it has moved up to my upper body.

Thank you all for being here.

God Bless
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

Every time I make a little complaint about being tired or whatever - he always says "well we are getting older ya know" He's completely serious and we are both 28. Now I realize I'm not a teenager but at 28 should my 85 year old neighbor be running circles around me??? I think not.
  4. little

little Member

I'm 57. I can't say one thing about FM. My daughter says that I'm just getting old. She doesn't like it when I say it is FM. She doesn't buy the theory about FM. She is just like the doctors. I try not to say anything anymore. I come to this board everyday and find alot of support. I'm new to the computer so it may take a little while to learn all of the things. I haven't learned the icons yet . There is alot of support here so keep coming back. TAKE CARE GAIL
  5. fibolady

fibolady New Member

than i do! no, it is not just getting old, how ridiculous.

warm regards, fibolady (soon to be 45)
  6. JCharity

JCharity New Member

Yes.....I am no youngster (60) but my mother is 86 and living with hubby and me and healthwise she is doing better than I am! When I get really down and feel really bad I try to think of others who are in much more pain than I am. Most of the time it helps. I guess I put a guilt trip on myself. LOL ATlike.......you are too young to be told you are old and everyone has your problems. When I hear stuff like that I want to say.......I'll trade you bodies for just one day. I know they would retract their words and buzz off, right? Hugz, Jenn
  7. JCharity

JCharity New Member

Yes.....I am no youngster (60) but my mother is 86 and living with hubby and me and healthwise she is doing better than I am! When I get really down and feel really bad I try to think of others who are in much more pain than I am. Most of the time it helps. I guess I put a guilt trip on myself. LOL ATlike.......you are too young to be told you are old and everyone has your problems. When I hear stuff like that I want to say.......I'll trade you bodies for just one day. I know they would retract their words and buzz off, right? Hugz, Jenn
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

my mirror!!!!! (No one who knows me would have the nerve.)

Love,
    Kady
  9. karen55

karen55 New Member

if I ever dare to mention I'm not feeling well. His response is "well, you're not getting any younger, you know". He totally does not believe in FM or CFS, basically in anything he or his family members have not experienced. He once told me it was all in my head. That's what my ex told me years ago when I had so much "female" pain, and was getting migraines every week. He ate his words when we found out I had endometriosis pretty bad.
    Now when I'm at work and suffering I don't say a word, try not to take meds if anyone is looking, and if I'm asked how I am, I just smile and say I'm fine.
  10. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I thought it was just getting older. Aches and pains of aging. I brushed it off for a long time thinking I was getting old and that everyone must feel this way. My doc (a FNP) said No it is not normal and not part of getting older. Especially at 28! That is not old! I had myself convince that it was age!
  11. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Yes! I was told the same thing, not too long ago, by a Doctor of Infectious Medicine. He said, in response to my complaints of debilitating fatigue, and severe pain, "We are both getting older, and I have my share of little aches and pains, too." Nothing like having someone trivialize your pain!
    Karen
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, a big welcome to you. Getting old?? you said you home school your children? How old could you be, probably in your early thirties at the oldest!

I have had fibro for over twenty years, but so far I have not had anyone tell me it has anything to do with 'getting old', yet! they wouldn't dare, I would smack them in a big hurry!

Believe me, age does not have anything to do with these illnesses. We have some members that are in their teens on this board alone with FM/CFS!

In fact, I have noticed in the time I have been here that the suffers are getting younger all the time.

You take care, and feel free to vent all you want, there are a lot of us that can relate you your illness.

Again, welcome to the group.

Shalom, Shirl

13. Hidn

Hidn New Member

Hi,
    My therapist told me I was getting older...aches and pains are bound to increase! I wanted to throw something at him lol
    No-one has to tell me I am getting older, I just want to do it the normal way...aches and pains creeping up slowly so I dont notice them too much, eyesight getting worse, slowly also. NOT like this! Eyes blurry, hurting all the time :(
    And I certainly dont need my therapist to tell me that getting older means I have to suffer!
    Hugs to you
    Denise
  14. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

That used to be my doctor's standard line when I went in to see him. Two years ago, my thumb got wrenched in the steering wheel when my bus hit a pot hole. It immediately turned a lovely shade of purple. I drove the rest of my first shift, then went to have it x-rayed. The doc said it was a strain and would get better in w couple weeks. 8 weeks later, I still could not use my left hand & he told me I couldn't expect to heal as fast as a younger person. I threw an absolute hissy fit in his office & he sent me to an orthopod just to get rid of me. Found out that not only was there a fracture, the continued driving had caused a piece of bone to chip off, and that was what was causing me the intense pain. So, for what could have originally been treated in the office, I got to have surgery & a 4 month vacation. Since then, my doctor has started to listen when I tell him I have a problem, so I guess it was worth it.
    Kathryn
    PS: He hasn't mentioned the "O" word since.[This Message was Edited on 10/21/2002]
  15. allhart

allhart New Member

i get so mad when people say that!i actually had a dr tell me when i was 21 thats why my knees hurt!i always think maybe tommrow ill wake up and feel grate too well it keeps us going,im glad your here,
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Down here, at 58, I'm just a kid.

Love, Mikie
  17. Wingingit

Wingingit New Member

I can't say that I've ever had a family member say this, but I hear it from the doctors all the time.
    They have been trivializing my pain for the past 2 years.
    I understand the frustration!
    After a physio session where a "neck adjustment" was done, I was in so much pain (and still am), I finally convinced the doc I needed an MRI. The test showed spinal stenosis in 3 cervical discs, but it was listed as degenerative meaning caused by aging.
    I'm 44 and have never had a disc problem previously...there was nothing degenerative about this, although I'm sure the Arthritis in my neck will get worse as I age.
    My doc doesn't believe I have FMS, but I recently had bloodwork which showed my Triglycerdides were sky high and I have gained 12 pounds in 4 months in the form of a bar of fat around my waistline. Now that a test result came back poorly, I think the doc may finally be starting to take me seriously...although still no diagnosis.
    This is definitely no an "age" thing regardless of how old it makes us feel.
    Nan
  18. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

By my family practioner who was certain my pain in my shoulder and upper back was due to carpal tunnel, and the aches, pain and inablity to sleep was due to my getting older...Well, needless to say..he was very wrong. It must be a big challenge for you homeschooling 3 boys. The Lord is good, you will find a lot of support here on this website..Welcome.BARB