HAS ANY ONE EVER TAKEN WATER THERAPY?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATLADY912, Feb 25, 2003.

1. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

If you have taken water therapy please let me know how it helped you or if it didn't help you. I have a rx for 2 weeks of PT and than a rx for 4 wks of water therapy and I was wondering if the water really helped anyone.

Have ha happy p[ain free day,
    cheers,
    Janice
  2. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I was always really sore after the therapy. But I truly liked being in the warm pool ... of course I dreaded the having to go to the therapy (motivation when you are in pain is difficult as most of us know) and after getting out my body was so "rubbery" feeling I was not sure if I felt good or bad. And then there was the co-payment that after a few weeks starts to add up and since I no longer work and my family depends only on my dear husband it got tough. I think everyone should try this if it is an option because you never know what will work for you. Good luck.

Janine
  3. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I did the Arthritis Foundation's water workout for quite a while. It made me feel better some days. The warm water was the key and the hot tub at the gym I went to. However, I have moved now and I really do miss that hot tub! LOL
  4. Sky

Sky New Member

Definitely! I would highly recommend this to anyone who has the means. I've been doing it for 3 years now. When I first started, I had just gotten my dx of fibro - only after 12 years of suffering. Anyway, I knew I had fibro before my appt with a rhuemy to confirm. So I researched the aqua therapy. I went to the rehab facility at my local hospital. I had to have an Rx for it, but the rhuemy had no problem giving it to me.

The warmer the water, the better. And make sure that you work with trained pt's that know about fibro. They will teach you how to properly stretch and exercise.

When I started, I could barely walk. It was difficult in the beginning, but after a short time, exercising got much easier.

This in combination with my guai has significantly improved my life/life style. I no longer need the rehab pool and now do water aerobics in the regular lap pool. The water is a little cooler, but we get moving so fast, you are instantly warm. And I also am back to playing soccer. Who would have thought!

I do hope you try this and give it at least a month. I know how difficult it is to 'get there', but I believe it will benefit you.

Good luck, let me know how you like it if you go,
    Hugs,
    Sky
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

How goes the 2400 mgs. of Guai? I hope you are not flaring.

Love, Mikie
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm allergic to chlorine, so I never go in a pool, but it sure seems that for folks without this problem, the water would be an excellent way to do therapy! Good luck with it!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. Sky

Sky New Member

2400mg is okay, not really bad flares at all. I felt bad on Sunday, but that was due to going flying with my bo. You know, cold weather, crammed into a little 172. So I took a nice Epsom salt bath that evening and was good the next day.

The pills are just so darn big! LOL

How are you doing?

Hugs,
    Sky
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

is a wonderfully warm, weightless, wondrous, welcome "well" where the weary can waddle in and walk around, wiggle their toes, work out, wriggle about, wallow, whisk, waltz around, writhe and wobble leaving their weary, wistful, withered, whimpering, whipped, worrisome, wrenched, wretched, wilting, whiney, weeping, waspish, wayward, weakly, weak-kneed, warped, wacky, wall-flowered self behind. I use this time to take myself to a happier, healthier time and place and it does me a world of good.....I would wholly recommend warm water therapy to all of my fellow sufferers and would wager that women (and men) would find this a well-rounded, wholesome workout and a peaceful, relaxation of the spirit.
    Kady
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

and it was great while in the water. But, the next day and for at least a week I could hardly move. I probably did too much because it felt so good to be able to move my arms so freely. I had to quit because the pain was not worth the reward of feeling good for only a few minutes.

Dara
  10. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Water is therapeutic. Presently I take a water aerobics class three times a week.

HOWEVER, when I first painfully waddled into the pool, I could NOT consider being involved in the class. As with everything we do, we must start with baby steps and few repetitions. Progress is s-l-o-w but the end result is worth it. Three years two months ago, I started pool work at the same time I started physical therapy with myofascial release. Everything is working together. I belong to a gym who has a little-bit-warmer-than-average pool. Please consider pool, and for those who tried and had problems, please try again---but be very gentle with yourself in the water. Fondly, June
  11. gg60

gg60 New Member

Hi There;

I'm newo the board, but I have had water therphy. I found it to be very helpful, for when I first started water therphy I could hardly walk. When I had to stop, Icried because I wa so afraid I would get in that shape again. Righ now I'm still walking standing straight, but hope to be able to go back injune when I get some finical things taken care of, so good luck to you. GOD BLESS YOU. gg60
  12. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

water is good therapy; no pressure on your joints![This Message was Edited on 07/15/2003]
  13. allie124

allie124 New Member

I was in bad shape when I started my aquatic physical therapy. I found out about it from a very short piece on the local news regarding aquatic therapy for the physically handicapped. That particular pool has a ramp to enter and a great staff of physical therapist who work through the hospital. I made some calls and had no problem getting the doctors to prescribe it. They'd never heard of it! The insurance approved it for a copay of $10 per visit. Each time it was approved for 10 visits (I did 3 rounds of it). The PT recommended never using a pool with water cooler than 93 degrees. I've learned that a pool that warm is rare. He was such a big help. The exersizes were not difficult, I used to be pretty active physically (dancer). So I took to the pool immediately. You don't need to know how to swim, you don't even have to get your head wet depending on the moves you do. I was limping when I started the therapy, and still trying meds. I was able to stop the meds and the weight I had gained melted off-no dieting. I looked great and felt great. It was hard at times, but I tend to push myself, so it is partly my fault for overdoing. It can get expensive even with the copays, and then also to continue after the sessions have ended it adds up quickly. If we hadn't moved, I'd probably be doing alot better now because I'd have been able to continue with that pool or the one at a senior living center that offered classes or open swim times to the public for a very small fee. It was the only other pool I'd found that kept the water at least 93 degrees. I highly recommend aquatic therapy for everyone with FM! Even if you think you don't have a pool-check around with senior care centers, hotels, schools, hospitals...many of these places have pools that are available for use. Check with physical therapists to see if aquatic therapy is something they offer. Or you can go it alone using a foam belt or a foam noodle. There are a few manufacturers of foam belts and dumbells and webbed gloves, also books and videos (check libraries and bookstores, arthritis foundation...) I'm most familiar with "AquaJogger". There is a site that has a great offer for a set of dumbells, belt and foam foot things for added resistance. I can't think of it now but if you are interested e-mail me at AllNationsBB@aol.com. Also you can check on e-bay. I've found listings for these items. I also got a book called "Water Dance" through e-bay for a great price.

Anyway, in closing, approach water therapy with an open mind, positive attitude, and try to ease any fears or doubts. Give it a chance. Also---for those who are allergic to chlorine, there are pools out there that use something other than chlorine, much milder. My brain won't let me think of the right word for it. But I know they exist, there is one near me (I haven't gone because they are way too expensive for me right now). Aquatic therapy is probably the thing I am most passionate about for those with lessened ablilites to help their bodies return to a more acitve and healthier state. I know I need to get back to it myself. Thanks for reading so much! Hope this helps.

allie
  14. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

My mate's daughter has a in ground pool. He asked his son-in-law the other day if I can come over in the mornings to do water aerobics this summer. The son-in-law graciously agreed it was no problem. However, I don't think my mate understands the difference of exercising alone in a pool that may or may not be the right temperature. Oh hey, I know, I will invite all the ladies in my apartment community and we will bring pots and hot plates to boil water on so that if the pool is not warm enough for our arthritis or fibromyalgia we will make it the right temperature. LOL No, just kidding. It was very thoughtful of my man to ask about it for my welfare but it just isn't what he thinks it is. I may head over there some morning when the heat is pretty intense. Water is pretty relaxing for me but I still miss that hot tub in Michigan! LOL
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2003]