Has any one had Two knee replacements at once?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dorothy4115, Apr 12, 2006.

1. dorothy4115

dorothy4115 New Member

I am trying to decide if I should have one or two knee replacements when I have my surgery. My doctor said I could have the bilateral (two) or unilateral (one). I would have the first one and then have the second one six weeks later or have them both done on the same day.

I would appreciate information.
  2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

What did the Dr. about your mobility if you had them both done at once? I have to say I don't know of anyone who ever had them both done at once, but then, I haven't heard of everything. What did he say? Marie
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Do you have someone who can wait on you hand and foot 18 hrs a day????

I'd not have the second one until I was stable on at least the first leg, that's for sure!

Good luck whatever you decide!
    findmind
  4. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

and Workers' Comp told me I had to have them both done the same day. I kept arguing with them that I couldn't do that. They said they wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. After the conversation started gettting really heated, I said, Okay. Fine. I'll do it, but you have to pay for someone to stay with me 24 hours a day. And make sure they're willing to wipe my a-- for me.

Workers' Comp agreed to let me wait several weeks between surgeries.

Linda
  5. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

My mother had both done at once at the age of 71. Since I work, and she lives with me, her sister stayed with us for 3 weeks so that she had 24 hr care when I was gone.

The only real problem she had was sitting on the toilet. We ended up getting her a potty chair to use, because it had a rails to help pull herself up with. Much easier.

We have a ranch style house... no stairs. Take up all rugs etc so that there is nothing to trip you before you have this done!

What her doc told her was that most docs recommend having one done at a time because medicare and other insurance does not pay the doc for two surgeries if they do them at the same time. If they do the surgeries 6 weeks apart, they get double the pay. He did what was right for the patient, not his wallet. He said if he did one at a time, a lot of people did not come back for the second one.

What he asked her was " Tell me which one you want done first" When she did not answer right away, he said - "if you can't answer in 5 or 10 seconds - then they are both bad, and you need to do them both at one time"....

The nurses and physical therapists had Mom climbing stairs in the hospital in 3 days with hers. She has had them for 10 years now and has had NO problems.

If you do two surgeries, you are going to go through the pain and being laid up twice. Your first knee you do will get somewhat of a set back when you do the second knee, as you will be just starting to get around really well on knee #1 when you get #2 done and stop moving around again.

Hope that helps...
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

She is heavy set (I only mention this because of being on her legs afterwards) and a lovely person in every way. She had both knees done at once.

She was in a nursing home for 2 or three weeks afterwards, so she would have help. She advanced quickly and is doing great. She says she is thrilled that neither knee hurts any longer. She is a very active person and is going strong.
  7. lkpalmer

lkpalmer New Member

Workman's Comp can't pressure you into having both knees done at once. Stay firm if you don't want to. I had a TKR on my left knee in November. I had to go to Physical Therapy 3 times a week for the first few weeks & then 2 times a week for the remainder of 6 weeks. Keep this in mind when you have surgery. As far as having them both done, I would ask my Doc if he is going to cement your prosthetic to the bone. If he does, you can walk on it as you are able right away. You won't be able to though so don't be discouraged. You will need a walker to get around for a week or so & a cane for about 3 weeks. If he uses the other procedure with no cement you can't put any weight on it for awhile. Remember, if you have both done you probably will be using a walker longer. It has been 5 months for me & my knee is still stiff but I'm walking wonderfully! If you can get some help at home & someone to take you to & from PT, I would have both done at the same time & get it over with. One more word of advice-DO YOUR AT HOME PHYSICAL THERAPY-I used the excuse that we were too busy with our move to another state one month after my surgery & I didn't get better as fast as if I would have been doing my home excersizes. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
    I just re read your post & see that it's not you that is having surgery through workman's comp. Sorry![This Message was Edited on 04/13/2006]
  8. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

oh, that would be awful going to physical therapy!!!

My Mother's physical therapist came to our house for 6 weeks. The first week, I think he came every day. Then the next week, every other day, tapered off to once a week.

She also had a nurse that came to the house every few days to check on her.

She did not have to get in the car till she went back to have her staples taken out.

9. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I had two achilles at the saem time. I didn't have any choice, they ruptured at the heels, both of them.

Granted, with total knees one is encouraged to walk and rehabilitate immediately.

However, were I to have a choice, I would never, ever have them at the same time.

It will make it much more difficult to rehabilitate, as one will not have a good leg to balance with.

That is just my opinion.