Has anybody had a hysterectomy....need recovery advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Sep 8, 2006.

1. achy

achy New Member

Hey ya'll - It's been 2 weeks since surgery. A few days after I got home I felt GREATREALLY GREAT. Little pain and more energy that I've had in years!!

Then, I had to go get my staples out. Hour drive each way and we stopped to eat. I have't been the same since. I'm not functioning. I feel lousy. All I want to do is sleep.

I have FM and CFIDS. I don't know if it's the CFIDS, the FM or just from the surgery and normal recovery. I would call doc but she is "skeptical" when it comes to FM so...why bother.

Sure appreciate any advice. I was prepared for this, but then when I was feeling so good I thought it would last. WHat a bummer.

thanks....
    an achy achy
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

But I don't think I can help much.Took me about a 2 weeks to feel better also had my staples out.

I was cooking dinner on my fourth week and all of a sudden had pain real bad.Went to the bathroom and my scare popped open and I started to bleed this awful brown blood.

I was rushed to the ER were my doctors meet us .I had a staff infection that I got from the hospital.

Do you believe it doctor told me this only happens in about one percent of patients.Figures it had to happen to me.

Needed to leave the wound open had visiting nurses 3 times a day for one month to pack it and take care of my IV.

Took me 6 months to recover .Thats when I think I started to have problems with FM and CFS.I was diagnosed in 2003 my surgery was in 1995.

Take it easy.You just had major surgery rest.

Take Care
    Hugs
    Sue
  3. mariee

mariee Member

Hi there,
    I am glad your surgery went well for you, and you had a good two weeks. I think the "honeymoon" period, happens because of the pain drugs during surgery and constant rest. Now as you begin to get around again...tiredness is setting in.
    REST was the best thing I did. The doc told me how much exercise (a walk up and down the hallway) to do and how to increase it. I knew when I went for dr. appt., I would need extra rest. It is a real test of patience!
    I did find a website....hysistersister.com very helpful, and they sent me info fr. preop through postop.
    Best wishes for continued recovery. It took me 6 months to get my strength back.
    Marie
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am glad your surgery went well and sorry you are not feeling very well at the moment but it does take time you just had major surgery two weeks ago.

You mentioned staples so I assume you had an abdominal hysterectomy-that is what I has several years ago.

Make sure you follow your surgeons instructions-do walk but do not over do it. Do not drive. Do not do laundry. Do not do dishes.

I learned the hard way do not use a heating pad on you tummy it may feel good for a little while but you will hurt big time later...I still can't believe I did that one...LOL

I did dishes a few weeks after my surgery and thought I was going to die...you would think you use that many muscles doing dishes but you do...LOL

Remember you are recovering from major surgery and your body needs to heal it does take time.

Take this time for you...read a good book or five, watch a few good old movies, sleep it helps the body, drink some herbal tea, and pamper yourself you deserve it.

Please be very good to you because this is more than a physical change it is a very emotional one as well.

Make sure you have someone to talk with or share you feelings here it can be a tough time if you hold feelings inside.

I hope you feel better soon,

Karen :)

5. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

hope you're feeling better soon. I echo what everyone else says: get as much rest as you can, you just had major surgery and that's tough enough without DD too.

The www.hystersister.com is really good, as someone else mentioned. Lots of info and a board where you can ask questions specific to hysterectomy.

I may be facing the -ectomy too if I ever get an appointment. I was referred on September 6 last year. Grrr.

Wishing you all the best :)
  6. I was told that I wouldn't have normal energy levels for at least a year. It was true, I slept all the time. Just go with the rest. Your body just went thru one of the most traumatic things that can happen to a woman. I wish you a healthy recovery. SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP!

sickandtiredalways34
  7. daylight

daylight New Member

the worst is over. I had mine six years ago and the Lord led me to a very helpful website call Hystersisters. Also keep moving (but not to much). It toke me one month to return to work and six months to totally heal. Try to relax and don't over do it.
    Many blessing to ya,
    D.<{{{><
  8. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

I had a hysterectomy (abdominal, sparing the ovaries) in 2002. Like you, I felt pretty good in the first few days, except for some side effects from the pain meds they gave me in the hospital. After I got that straightened out, I took it really easy at home, but still found that it was several months before I felt that I'd recovered from the stress of the surgery.

Here is the URL for the Hystersisters site. They have a really helpful and supportive forum, and there's lots of other good info at the website:

http://www.hystersisters.com/

Pace yourself. Take it as easy as you possibly can. Your body has been through a huge trauma, and the anesthesia can take a long time to completely leave your system.

Take care,
    Wordbyrd
  9. achy

achy New Member

There aren't many ppl there with FM or CFIDS.

I figured it would take longer for me to heal...but feeling so good so early got my hopes up I guess. After reading your replies I have decided to surrender to it...if I feel like I have to sleep then that's what I'll do.

Heck, how many times do we get DR'S ORDERS to rest..and not to do chores!

Thanks for the support...I got it now. DUH
    achy

I'll cherish those two great days...
  10. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Hi,
    I had one in 2002. It was rough. It was a lot harder on me than I had thought it would be. Just take it really easy. Do not over do it at all. Give your body time to heal or else you will create more scar tissue inside. This is a huge surgery. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It takes months to completely heal. Do not lift anything heavy at all. It will take you even longer than so called "normal" people - you know what I mean, to heal because of the FM.

Be Strong!
    Kellyann
  11. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

they did it laproscopic and vaginal, and it took me a year to finally not have any pain. My doc said it takes 18 months to completely heal inside. Take it easy and do not overdue you will be the only one who suffers.

Granny
  12. QuilterB

QuilterB New Member

Hello Achy,

Mine was over 10 years ago, and it had been planned for almost a year (20+ year-hx of endometriosis). My doctor had suggested setting it in the late spring-time so that after 4 weeks, I'd feel up to traveling to the beach and spending some of the recovery time there. I'd been able to plan a fair amount of helpful things in advance, & being something of a "control freak," that helped. Anyway, at the beach, the first night I walked one block to a restaurant, and then accepted a ride back to my motel because I was too tired for the return walk. But by pacing myself, by the end of the week, I could walk almost a half-mile on the beach. [I know this doesn't help you much, as it's too late to plan things in advance. BUT remember to pace yourself, and give yourself plenty of time to recover.]

The other thing that I read here that definitely rings true is the fact that while I appeared to be recovering smoothly, my sleep patterns didn't really return to "normal" for a year!

Good luck to you.
    QuilterB
  13. achy

achy New Member

My Hysterectomy Recovery is just like any other day with FM/CFIDS. One good day, several bad ones, one good day, couple bad ones, etc. Up and down.

I have been trying to do a bit more, nothing heavy, just dusting, washing a few dishes, etc. I have to lay down inbetween.

Yesterday I sat for too long crafting and did I pay for it. Pain Pain Pain. So even sitting can hurt ya at this point!!

thanks for the encouragement...it really helps!
    achy
  14. livin4him

livin4him New Member

Sorry you are not having an easier time with it.

Mine was in 2000, so can't remember all that I went through. I do remember that you can't do too much too fast, even if you feel like it. You have to rest.

The best information I got was from a website Hystersisters. Also Dr. Vliet books are absolutely wonderful. - Screaming to be Heard is one. Also Women, Weight and Hormones.

You really need to get forewarned about what is going to come with your hormones. I learned the hard way. When I went through my hormone changes, although I had a TAH and Ooph, my bottomed dropped out really quick. I was young and no hormones. It was awful.

Please check out her books, it was the best thing I did.
    The Screaming to be Heard is harder to read, but has alot of worthwhile info. Women, Weight and Hormones was written later and in simpler form - also great.

Hope you feel better. Rest, rest, rest.
  15. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Oh yeah. I had a hysterectomy in May of this year. Felt good starting the 3rd day, then wham, right into a major flare up which took weeks to get over.

Went on neurontan and cymbalt and started to feel much better. I also take Quinine at night for restless leg.

Found out this week that I also have insulin resistant hypoglycemia. Started a low carb, high protein, fresh fruits and veggies on Tuesday and have already noticed a difference.

My endocronologist thinks much of what is wrong with me, including FM started in 1999 when I had my gastric bypass.

Hope this helps.
    Phyliss