HAS ANYNE TRIED L-GLUTATHIONE SUPPLEMENT??YOUR VIEWS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stevenmale_mid_uk, Jul 11, 2005.

1. stevenmale_mid_uk

stevenmale_mid_uk New Member

IVE READ ALOT ON L-GLUTATHIONE (L-CYSYIENE ETC)LOTS OF

RESEARCH SAY THIS IS GREAT TO REPAIR CELLS AND WE CANT LIVE

WITHOUT THIS SUBSTANCE AND POOR HEATH MAYBE DUE TO A

DEFICINCY IN THIS SUBSTANCE WHICH AFFECT TRILLIONS OF CELLS

AND LOTS OF FUNCTIONS NEED THIS SUSTANCE, AS THIS IS A

NATURALLY FORMING AMINO ACID IN THE BODY A LOT OF PEOPLE

MAY HAVE A DEFICENCY OF THIS IT IS A POWERFUL ANTI OXIDANT THAT

ALOWS OTHERS TO BE EFFECTIVE BETTER LIKE VIT C+E . ONLY ABOUT

HALF APPARENTLY GETS ABSORBED BUT THIS SOUNDS WELL WORTH A

TRY TO ME

IVE READ LOTS OF RESEARCH ON INTERNET ON THIS ANDS ITS THE

MOST PROMISING THING IVE READ TO TRY ALL THE BEST STEVE
  2. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

I am extremely ill with CFS and FMS and also MCS. I started having glutathione/magnesium iv's a month or so ago. This has been the first breakthrough in the downward spiral of my health. I was virtually bedridden and mostly uncommunicative (due to not even having the energy to think or talk), but now am able to function somewhat and connect with my family. I believe that my body is unable to make glutathione to detoxify my body and so i need it from an outside source. My understanding is that to date no oral forms of glutathione are as good as receiving it intraveneously--that they are broken down by the digestive system and ruined before they can be used. I hope this helps you. I assume it won't help everyone, but may be a great help to those whose glutathione has been depleted by taxes on their immune system, or those who for whatever reason can't make it. Jen
    [This Message was Edited on 07/11/2005]
  3. LaurenMarie21

LaurenMarie21 New Member

I was giving myslef glutathione injections for a long time... the doctor said it might help with my CFS unfortunately for me it didnt... the injections burned like hell but no energy... maybe it will do some good for someone else.. good luck
  4. stevenmale_mid_uk

usuly about half gets absorbed into blood stream after 3 hours
  5. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

The way i get the glutathione--the doctor puts it in saline and a needle goes into my arm from the bag. It drips in over the period of about an hour. I know companies are working on different forms of oral glutathione, and I am no expert but what I understand is that it is hard to get enough thru oral administration if you are severely depleted. I suppose if you take it, some will get thru, so any amount may help. I don't know the details. I have wondered that myself. Somewhere I read that people with autism seem to have had the best success with oral glutathione. Thanks. Jen
  6. read

read New Member

You might want to read the post about whey protien by david572. They talk about eatting the whey protien and thats how you get your glutathione levels up. Hope this helps you. I used it myself and it worked wonderfully. Read
  7. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

and there are a couple of great new books on the subject .
    I suggest you get some books by med professionals . I have bought two at B & N .

Also look up glutathione in the library here . There have been studies that indicate AIDS patients improved significantly by taking N acetyl cysteine and selenium .
    That is supposedly a good way of raising glutathione .

I definitely felt worse when I first started N A C
    and selenium , which indicated to me my immune system was being more active . I am religious abot the NAC and selenium for myself . Dr Salvato, an infectious disease doc in Houston prescribes glutathione injections and many patients think they help . To be honest , I have spent thousands and been to many doctors and still do not think
    we have begun to understand what is the root of the disease .
    If you do take glut. supplements , you need to take REDUCED glutathione ( that is the only effective form ) .

8. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

and there are a couple of great new books on the subject .
    I suggest you get some books by med professionals . I have bought two at B & N .

Also look up glutathione in the library here . There have been studies that indicate AIDS patients improved significantly by taking N acetyl cysteine and selenium .
    That is supposedly a good way of raising glutathione .

I definitely felt worse when I first started N A C
    and selenium , which indicated to me my immune system was being more active . I am religious abot the NAC and selenium for myself . Dr Salvato, an infectious disease doc in Houston prescribes glutathione injections and many patients think they help . To be honest , I have spent thousands and been to many doctors and still do not think
    we have begun to understand what is the root of the disease .
    If you do take glut. supplements , you need to take REDUCED glutathione ( that is the only effective form ) .

9. 18yrpwc

18yrpwc New Member

I think the digestive system largely degrades glutathione pills before it can get to the cells. I take glutathione shots and find them significantly helpful.

10. 18yrpwc

18yrpwc New Member

I think the digestive system largely degrades glutathione pills before it can get to the cells. I take glutathione shots and find them significantly helpful.

11. 18yrpwc

18yrpwc New Member

On giving yourself shots, if the liquuid is cold it hurts more. If you let the refrigerated glutathione warm up before you give youself the shot, it seems to hurt less.

Also slow injection may do less trauma to your muscle being injected.

scooterhoo
  12. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

My doc mentioned once that the Wellness Pharmacy may be a good source for oral glutathione which will have optimal chance to survive the digestive system. Not sure if I'm allowed to post website--google wellness pharmacy and glutathione. Jen
  13. BethM

BethM New Member

Other than undenatured whey protein and asparagus, what are good food sources of glutathione?

thanks.
    Beth.
  14. BethM

BethM New Member

15. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

I've been on oral and injectable glutathione for over a year. I've gone from bedridden to almost 80% of what I used to be.

This was not my only therapy. I suffered terribly with CFS. If you'd like to know more about my protocol I'd be happy to share.

best wishes...........foxglove
  16. stevenmale_mid_uk

much appreciated
  17. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm very MCS and have had times when I could not go into any dwelling, incl. my own home. Those were brutal days, I remember freezing my butt off so many times. Taking 50 mg reduced glutathione 3-4 times, as perscribed by my env. doc, a day made the difference in a few days. It's an aggressive detox. I herx on them like crazy, as I do w/ NAC, a precurser to glutathione.

I do not believe that taken orally it doesn't survive stomache acid. The results were dramatic for me. It can be expensive to stay on it, so I pulse sometimes to give my liver stores a boost. Injecting glut. is not something I would consider. If it is working for someone, congrats. But an injection delivery is unnatural, the body is designed to take the aminos from the diet, which is filtered thru the liver and the liver makes its stores.

Asparagus is the richest food source of it. I'm running into studies of full cancer remission, the terminal kind, from a constant diet high in asparagus. It is imperical evidence, but I think that is often the best kind. There are people so happy w/ their aspargus results they are dying to get the word out. I like what one man said after his beloved wife's remission from inoperable cancer. "No matter what they do w/ supplements, the govt. can't stop you from eating asparagus."

Undenatured whey is apparently the new, "best", way to get it. I'm dubious that its the best, but at least it's a natural delivery via the diet. But it's not an option for me w/ dairy sensitivity anyway. Anyone thinking of trying it, needs to factor tht too.

Another great way to boost it is to take ALA (alpha lipoic acid). Did your research run you into info. on that? I ordered some and will be trying it soon. I think that is the most promising way, as it boosts the potency of the major antioxidants in the body, A,C,E, and glutathione. Hopefully it won't cause the major herx from the other methods. I'll let you all know.

Jeanne
  18. tansy

tansy New Member

the precursors for glutathione since like Jeanne I am too dairy intolerant for the whey products. I had problems with NAC so now take reduced lipoic acid (which seems to be better than the ALA version and smaller doses can be used), selenium, vits c and e help too.

I have read all the theories about oral glutahtione, my physical and financial limitations do not make glutathione IVs an option. I had read elswhere how some were finding reduced glutathione taken orally helped so I bought a bottle a while ago. I ran out of RLA so thought I'd try the reduced glutathione, I was surprised and delighted by the difference taking it made.

So now it looks as though at least two of us here are getting benefits from taking reduced glutathione orally. Incidentally I do not think L glutathione will help much globally but it has been reported to help with GI tract issues.

love, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2005]
  19. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I've read it can be better, but no one ever says why. Care to dish?

Jeanne
  20. tansy

tansy New Member

I started looking into RLA when my insulin resistance became more of a problem after an inflammatory episode, many practioners were finding RLA better for IR.

**Racemic vs. R-alpha-lipoic acid: There is evidence that the two optical isomers of alpha-lipoic acid have different biological activities. R-alpha-lipoic acid occurs naturally in plants and animals and is the only form that functions as a cofactor for mitochondrial enzymes (see Function).

Chemical synthesis of alpha-lipoic acid results in a 50/50 or racemic mixture of S-alpha-lipoic acid and R-alpha-lipoic acid. Within the mitochondria, R-alpha-lipoic acid is reduced to DHLA, the more potent antioxidant, 28 times faster than S-alpha-lipoic acid. However, in the cytosol S-alpha-lipoic acid is reduced to DHLA twice as fast as R-alpha-lipoic acid.

One study in humans found R-alpha-lipoic acid to be more bioavailable than S-alpha-lipoic acid when taken orally (38).

R-lipoic acid was more effective than S-lipoic acid in enhancing insulin-stimulated glucose transport and metabolism in insulin-resistant rat skeletal muscle (19), and R-alpha-lipoic acid was more effective than racemic alpha-lipoic acid and S-alpha-lipoic acid in preventing cataracts in rats (41).

Almost all studies of alpha-lipoic acid supplementation in humans have been performed using racemic alpha-lipoic acid. At present, it is not known whether R-alpha-lipoic acid is more effective as an antioxidant than racemic lipoic acid when taken by humans in pharmacologic doses.**

It was the increased bioavailablity that also caught my eye. I often do better on the supps that are known to be more bioavailable or need the least amount of conversion - eg flax seed oil v fish oil, only the latter produced the benefits of omega 3 I was seeking.

love, Tansy

[This Message was Edited on 07/14/2005]