Has anyone applied for disability successfully?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CrystalRose, Oct 5, 2006.

1. CrystalRose

CrystalRose New Member

Just wondering what walls, if any, that Fibromites have had. I think that is my next option. Can't work full time to support myself. I'm going through a divorce so I have to do something to pay the bills. I've heard a few nightmare stories, would like to hear some good news if it is out there!!
  2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I have Crystal but I live in Canada. Hopefully you will get some responses closer to home.

hugs Redwillow
  3. foxyred

foxyred New Member

Hi,
    I can't get disability because I don't have enough of a work record. (Thought I was doing the right thing staying home and being a mom and wife.)
    However, I have a good friend that just received hers. With five years of back pay too!!
    She only had to appeal one time and was granted it then.
    Don't give up hope. It does happen.
    Foxy
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I applied, I went to SS office walk in. The agent filled out every thing in person.

The fact that I walked in, I thought would hurt my cause, but it didn't.

The agent, I think was happy to see someone who was not overacting his disability.

He also pre registered my chilren. He told me information that I would have over looked.

I've been turned 2 times now and am waiting now for my court date which they tell me is coming soon.

It's been about 3.5 yrs now
  5. mindbender

mindbender New Member

Welfare may be able to help you. There's no shame in that. They're also happy to see someone w/ a real situation.
  6. georgie0826

georgie0826 New Member

I received my disability this week. It only took about 5 months on the first try. I don't think this is the norm. Good luck to you
  7. mindbender

mindbender New Member

This web site has a disability link, they say to always re apply. Alot of people don't. It is very commen to be turned down.
  8. angelstapleton

angelstapleton New Member

I filler the paper work out about a month ago and hey said it may take up 4 monthes to hear anything back. If I get turned down I will get a atterny next
    Sorry can't spell.
    Bless you Angel
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes. I applied and was approved on my first try. It took only 4 months. I did not receive any back pay, though, but that didn't matter.

I didn't use a lawyer. I have a multitude of health problems--fibro is just one of them. I listed them all on my application.

Good luck!
  10. tebeling-siravo

tebeling-siravo New Member

Hi Just wondering if any of you have needed to see their doctors? and how that process worked? Is this good news or bad news? thanks Tracy
  11. Amslave

Amslave New Member

I applied in June and have been turned down I have since appealed. Do not re-apply---appeal your original ruling so you will get retro pay from your original application dates. i had to see the S,S, doctor, but she was a joke. I could tell she had no clue about FM, She didn't check trigger points or how my pain or sleep was. Now everything is going by my PC so I am hopeful. Jen