has anyone applied for disability?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelly49, Jan 13, 2007.

1. shelly49

shelly49 New Member

My husband and I have been talking about this recently. I am just SO afraid to try because I know that with fibro, claims are often denied, at least the first time around. I do have a wonderful doctor that I know will help me with whatever paper work I need, but I want to do everything I can to make sure I can get this.

I have done a little research online, and I found that a lot depends on your past work history. I haven't had a 'real' job in years that I paid SS tax so I don't know if this will hurt my case or not. I don't want to get rich and I know that will not happen, but we really need a little extra $$ every month to help cover bills and expenses. Things are REALLY tight lately, especially after the holidays between gifts, having days off unpaid (my husband), etc.

I would greatly appreciate ANY tips or advice and would love to hear some success stories as well!
  2. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Get all the info you can online, have your doc write a letter detailing your inability to perform work duties(I had 3 docs write letters) and make sure they send good medical records.

When you fill out the ssd forms, focus on what you would be able to do at work on a "bad" day, not a "good" day.

You can talk to a lawyer ahead of time at no charge, but you don't need one unless you are denied at the first stage.

I got approved at the first stage in just 3 months! I think it was because of my long work history, my Master's Degree, and my age (I'm 56).

Best of luck,
    Mini
  3. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I applied for disability in Jan. 2005 and I was approved in August 2005. I Live in california and I receive SSI and SSDI.

I submitted a daily journal that I kept for 30 days detailing my symptoms. I also was evaluated by both a SSDI state appointed doctor and pyscologist, which I think helped my claim. I also submitted a detailed list of my immediate symptoms and limitaions listed below.

There is an organization if you need an attorney called the National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives you can reach them at nosscr.org They are a non-profit/non-commercial organization. There phone number is (800) 431-2804

Limitations from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

SYMPTOMS:

-Overwhelming fatigue, exhaustion, weakness, persistent flu-like symptoms and postexertional malaise lasting more than 24 hours.
    - Persistent intractable muscle and joint pain
    - Headaches of a new severity
    - Unrefreshing sleep
    - Sore throat
    - Impaired short term memory and concentration
    - Visual impairments such as focusing
    - Lightheaded and increased fatigue from prolonged standing
    - Dizziness and vertigo
    - Nausea, bloating, indigestion, loss of appetite
    - Confusion
    - Anxiety, and episodes of sadness/ depression.
    - Decreased libido

UNABLE TO:

- stand or sit upright for more than a few minutes on relatively bad days.

- perform activities with a schedule, maintain regular attendance, and sustain an ordinary routine.

- complete a normal workday and workweek without interruption by symptoms and perform at a consistent pace without an unreasonable number and length of rest periods.

- stand, sit upright, and or concentrate for more than three to four hours on relatively good days. (I have had an average of about 10-12 good days per month for the last 12 months)

- walk consecutively for more than 15-20 min. on good days

- walk consecutively for more than a few min. on bad days.

- drive far distances such as 50 miles or more on good days.

- drive at all on bad days.

- lift and or carry heavy objects such as gallons of water or bags of groceries on bad days.

- see clearly for short moments from dizzy spells on both good and bad days.

- perform cognitive tasks, such as things involving simple and detailed verbal and or literary instructions on bad days and frequently on good days.

- focus and concentrate, limiting my ability to read for more than a half hour to an hour on a good day, and no more than a few min. on a bad day.

- maintain attention and concentrate for extended periods of time.

- to understand and remember simple and detailed instructions, work procedures, and conversations on bad days and frequently on good days.
  4. shelly49

shelly49 New Member

swedeboy your post is especially helpful and appreciated. I am SO glad I found this message board, I really think it is going to help me a lot.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

You said you haven't had a real job in years.

You must have 40 work credits to receive SSDI. Have you worked long enough to obtain 40 work credits?

jlh
  6. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

I JUST APPLIED LAST MONTH- YOU GOTTA HIRE A LAWYER, IF YOU DONT WIN YOU PAY ZIP(DOCTORS WILL CHARGE FOR SS PAPERWORK)WHY STRESS OVER PAPERWORK, LET THE PROS HANDLE IT..
    GOD BLESS AND GOOD LUCK FOY