Has anyone been asked to try provigil?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sookie, Oct 12, 2002.

1. sookie

sookie New Member

HI! I'm new here.My doctor has asked me to try provigil. It's used to treat narcolepsy.He says it should keep me more alert during the day.It seems to work.I used to get very tired by early afternoon and would struggle to make it through the rest of the day at work but now I am able to make it through the day and not be in so much of a fog. So I'm curious if anyone else has ben asked to try this?
  2. sookie

sookie New Member

HI! I'm new here.My doctor has asked me to try provigil. It's used to treat narcolepsy.He says it should keep me more alert during the day.It seems to work.I used to get very tired by early afternoon and would struggle to make it through the rest of the day at work but now I am able to make it through the day and not be in so much of a fog. So I'm curious if anyone else has ben asked to try this?
  3. maxtout

maxtout New Member

A neurologist that I went to suggested that I try it to help with this debilitating fatigue I've been fighting for 3 years. I have read some posts here that the Provigil had worked wonders for others, so I agreed to try it. The neurologist started me on 300 mgs per day and I tried that dose for a month. All it did was make me even more tired and sleepy than I was before. I felt as though I had narcolepsy. If I dared close my eyes I would be out like a light any time, any where. When I woke up in the morning, I felt like I was hungover all day long and I was no where near alert. I didn't have a very good experience with it, but I know others have. I was really hoping it would work for me, but it didn't. Hopefully you'll be able to use it to stay "out of the fog."
  4. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

It has really helped me a lot.I can not barley get out of bed without it.I just got epstein barr virus about 4 to 6 weeks ago and I think I would be bedridden again if I did not have this med.I have read it does not work for some people and others LOVE it.Good Luck,Tracey
  5. herblady

herblady New Member

i'm not on it yet but i've heard a lot of good about it. i see my dr. soon and i'm going to ask for it. cindi
  6. epicurean

epicurean New Member

has worked great for me.I used to have no energy,wouldn't even shower or get dressed till 11 or 12 noon.Now I have much more energy-have been cleaning closets and doing window curtains on good days-Good-luch!!
  7. ladydi

ladydi New Member

Good Sunday to you Sookie, I like your nickname.

Really just wanted to make you feel welcome aboard. Hope
    you'll stay with us for a very long time.

Also, I noticed you did'nt fill out you bio. That's totally up to you. It's a personal decision.

Well, now that I've welcomed you, I'll tell you my story
    about Provigil.

I take 200mg, at the present time. It really does'nt
    effect me. So next time I see my Doc I'm going to ask if I
    can take 400mg.

For the first few weeks it worked great. But know I
    think I need a higher dose.

My Doc started me out on a amphetamine (sp?) (speed)
    Boy, did it ever get me going. I did'nt like the racing
    in my head. Enough said about that.

I do wish you well when you ask your Doc for Providil.
    I bet he/she will give it to you.

Warm Wishes,
    LadyDi
  8. TracyV

TracyV New Member

it Friday. So far it's worked pretty good. I've actully been able to make it through the afternoon without falling asleep.
    Hugs,
    Tracy