has anyone been put on more than 60mg of Cymbalta a day?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweetbeatlvr, Nov 23, 2009.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i have been on the standard dose of Cymbalta (60mg 1x/day) for aout 4 months now. it has significantly helped my pain.

i take it in the evenings about an hour before bed because it seems to make me sleepy.

the way it has helped me the most is my morning stiffness and pain. i no longer waddle when i wake up, and my pain is minimal compared to before taking it.

the problem i am having is: the more the day progresses, the more my pain increases, until, by the time i am wanting to relax for the day, my pain is the worst of the day, and i cannot get comfortable.

i think what is happening is, the Cymbalta is wearing off.

i asked my doctor for something for my pain in the evenings, and he prescribed me Darvocet. it does not help the pain and also gives me bad stomach cramps and nausea. my doctor is not willing to give me anything other than that.

i deperately need some relief in the evenings, because it is really wearing on me.

if i take my Cymbalta earlier, it doesn't help the pain right away, and i'm afraid it will mess up the way it's helping me in the mornings (which is important to me because of work).

i'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what you did to help?

is it beneficial to take more than 60mg/day? maybe splitting the dose?

i'm afraid if i take less mgs, the results won't be as good.

has it been shown to help at higher doses?

i need to call back the doctor and suggest something else, because at this point, i think they think i am only drug-seeking (which is only true because i am having pain, but would be more than willing to try anything that would work).

any input would be appreciated.
  2. loto

loto Member

of Cymbalta daily.
    I take all of it at bedtime, because it makes me sleepy also. I know that when I went up to this dose from 60 mg, I could tell a huge difference. It helped a lot better. You made need to take more of it.
    I also take Vicodin and Ultram for my pain throughout the day. These 3 prescriptions combined have helped me a lot. I know without them all, I wouldn't be able to get up and work every day.
    Talk to your doctor more. He should understand that living with chronic pain is not a good way to have to live. He needs to help you more, if your current dose and med isn't totally helping you with pain. We deserve to have the best quality of life as we possibly can, and our doctors should help us with that.
    Hopefully he'll give you additional meds, or you find another doctor that will.

3. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

for your quick response.

that's reassuring to know that a higher dose has helped someone.

i agree that doctor's should help us if something isn't working. i'm really confused as to why i'm having a problem w/ this right now.

i lost my insurance not too long ago, and decided if i was going to have to pay out of pocket for a doctor's visit, i was going to go one i really liked.

i decided to go back to a doctor i used when i first moved 6 years ago. i really liked him alot, but had to stop seeing him because he didn't accept my new insurance

my visit to him last week was one of the best doctor's visits i've ever had. he spent atleast 15 minutes with me, and he really seemed to understand what FM was, and the struggles people w/ it, have. i left there feeling on top of the world.

well, when i realized the Darvocet wasn't helping, i called the office to leave the doctor the message.

the receptionist hasn't been very nice at all. when i said i took 1 Darvocet, waited, and then took a second one, she said, "you're not suppose to take 2." i corrected her and said my prescription said to take 1 or 2.

and when i asked her to ask the doctor if i could just go back on the hydrocodone i was prescribed before, she said that was a red flag, and that the doctor would not do that.

i told her i did not care what i was put on, i just need something that helps. i explained that because my pain gets worse throughout the day, that i thought it was because the Cymbalta was wearing off (before i took my next dose).

i then suggested that maybe my dose of Cymbalta needed to be raised she said, "wait, did you just say Cymbalta?" i said yes she said, "well that's used for depression." i corrected her again and told her it was approved for Fibromyalgia and diabetic neuropathy.

so that's where i'm at now, she's suppose to give him the message about increasing my Cymbalta.

i wonder if he's even getting my messages, or if by the way she's acting, i wonder what she's actually relaying to the doctor?

how frustrating! i want to go in and see him in preson, but it's going to take a couple weeks for me to save the money.

any feedback or support is appreciated very much.

4. loto

loto Member

That receptionist doesn't know anything does she???
    I'll tell you what I've been doing with my doctor. Instead of calling him for an appointment every time I have an idea to help something, or to tell him about a new symptom, I've written him a note and mailed it to the doctor's office with his name on it. He's pretty much open to tests I've requested (such as bloodwork to rule out other things, or to confirm that I need vitamins or something).
    Oh yeah, the the receptionist saying "that's a red flag" about the vicodin.---Well that should definitely give them a clue that you are definitely in more pain and need more help!!!!

I swear, some people think they know everything! People who don't have Fibro or these other DX we discuss on this board have no clue what we go through!!!! They shouldn't make comments about "red flags", and comments about meds since they don't know what the heck they're talking about!!!

So, do you think if you're afraid your doctor isn't getting the messages, if you write him a letter and put his name on it, if he'll read and respond to them? I also wrote my doctor a letter when one of his nurses screwed up my vicodin prescription. The pharmacy and another nurse at the doctor's office were so confused, they thought I was taking too much of my med, and even had my husband believing I was abusing it when he called them because I was out of pain med and was crying I was in so much pain!!!

Well, I wrote my doctor a note (because he was out of town at the time I needed a refill--that's why it was screwed up), and he apologized the next time I saw him.

Maybe try that, at least you may be able to find out if the receptionist is giving him the messages!

I know how frustrating this all can be, trying to find the right med that helps with your pain.
    I hope you get some relief fast!
    Hang in there! You'll always have this board for help and support!

5. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

thanks again for responding, i appreciate it.

i'm definately gonna use your letter idea.

i am so upset with the way this receptionist has treated me!

on top of all the other things she has said, i spoke to her again today (after recieving a message from her yesterday to call in the morning for "instructions"). she told me how the doctor wanted me to increase the Cymbalta, and then with a not so nice tone said, " and i talked to the doctor about what you called about *three times* yesterday, and he said no. no narcotics".

excuse me?

i did not call three times yesterday, i called twice. the first time i talked to her she basically said that if the Darvocet didn't work, there wasn't anything else they could do, so i called the second time to propose the possibilty of taking more Cymbalta.

i am really upset about this. she basically had me pegged, from the first conversation, as a liar and drug seeker. how dare her?

i really want to talk to the doctor in person and explain the way i feel about this situation, but i may not be able to afford an appt until after the holidays.

he is such a nice man that i have a hard time believing he would judge me like this, and i really don't want him thinking that about me.

how do you think i should handle this? any advice would be appreciated.

ps if i don't hear back from you in this thread, i may make a new one to get some advice on the situation.
  6. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I was switched from Effexor XR to Cymbalta when it first came out, but not for pain, for depression. I think that's the reason I've never been bothered with fibro pain. A few years later I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and last year Cymbalta was approved for use with fibromyalgia. I took 60 mg.

This past July my brother was diagnosed with pelvic cancer and I needed to go see him. Knowing it would be very traumatic my doctor increases the Cymbalta to 90 mgs and that's where I am today.

The pain that I do have is from arthritis and poor posture.
  7. loto

loto Member

I'd definitely send him a letter right away (if you can't get an appt to see him), and tell him about his receptionist and how she treats you.
    That is NOT right for her to treat you that way!
    Maybe if you tell the doctor, and there have been other complaints about her he'll get her out of there and get someone else in who will act professional!
    Hope you get this all resolved soon!!!!!
    Oh, I wonder if he would prescribe Ultram for you? It's not a narcotic.
    I take it also, in between times for my vicodin, and it seems to help, also.
    May be worth a shot!?

Have a Great Thanksgiving!