Has anyone been successful in controlling anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Haddon, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Haddon

Haddon New Member

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone has been successful in controlling anxiety and what medication can help?
    My mother had a temporary script of xanax 0.25mg and she seemed more relaxed and happy. Her doctor is reluctant to prescripe this med because it is addicting. Mom is 84 and is near the 7th stage of alzhiemers. Most of her communication involves endless repeated questions about her daily tasks...just worries most of the time. She suffers from anxiety 75% of her waking hours.

What has worked for you?

Thanks,
    Pat
  2. babyjoan

babyjoan New Member

I take Klonopin for my anxiety disorder. I have been on it for years. I don't think I could have maintained my full time job without the aid of my medications. Anxiety is as crippling as pain. There is help out there for it. You may have to try a few different meds or relaxation techniques, etc. I used to teach techniques in relaxation but that was a joke being the teacher as I was always riddled with anxiety!! I hope you find something to help you. Keep us posted. Peace

Babyjoan
    [This Message was Edited on 07/28/2003]
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Pat, I take Xanax (0.25mg) only in the evening for 'racing brain syndrome', have been taking this med off and on for 17 years now. But only at night or if I have a severe anxiety attack.

What I have found very helpful for over all anxiety is ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6). It has been a great help and also a wonderful deep sleep aid. It has also stopped my RLS.

Be very sure you ask your Mom's doctor before giving her anything. The only thing I know that ZMA (magnesium in it) that is contradictory is if you have kidney problems.

It is also good for the heart and brain fogginess ( I have Fibromyalgia and this causes me to be forgetful at times).

Its called 'natures tranqualizer', most people are deficient in this mineral.

Hope this helps you, and I hope you Mom continues to feel better.

Shalom, Shirl

PS We do have an Alzhiemers board here also, you may find additionl help there too.

4. babyzee

babyzee New Member

Klonipin works for me. I don't know why doctors prescribe so much Xanax!!!!! It's scary.
    Vitamin B complex helps me a LOT when I'm really, really anxious, grief-stricken, or whatever. Since stress depletes B vitamins from your body, it makes sense.
  5. Bum

Bum New Member

I have been taking Klonopin on and off for 10 years. I feel my quality of life is much better when I am taking it. I take 1/2 tablet .25mg once in morning and once about 7pm
    I had full blown panic attacks, migraines, musle twitches and it definetly seems to be the right med for me. When I was having the agorphobia with the panic attacks I had to take more. That was a few years ago and as long as I keep my stress level down, the anxiety is under control. The Xanax knocked me out when I tried it years ago.
    Goodluck! You can overcome anxiety attacks!
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

If Mom is 84 and is near the 7th stage of alzhiemers, then her doctor shouldn't worry about her becoming addicted to Xanax. He should prescribe her a low dosage and relieve her misery. It would be different if she was much younger and very healthy, then I would worry about addiction. At 84, I doubt if becoming addicted to Xanax should be a big concern.

Marilyn :)
  7. AC77

AC77 New Member

Maybe it's time to find a new dr for mom? He/She doesnt sound like they are very knowledgable or caring about your mothers crucial quality of life, not to mentions yours! At your mothers age and in consideration of her condition, there is no reason she should not be given any med nessesary to make her comfortable.

Maybe she need a geriatrician. Xanax, may eventually make her decling faculities worse. But if it keeps her calm and in good-spirits then it may be nessesary. I think Ativan is sometimes a better choice or Serax for Elder patients, as it has no metabolites and doesn't interact with as many meds as older people may be taking--thus it won't accumulate.

In addition Serax may be possibly a little less addictive. Though, like I said it shouldnt matter in consideration of the above.
  8. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

My step mom was getting depressed and had a lot of anxiety. The doctor prescribed this because it helped both, and she is in counseling. She also has a book that she has found helpful. It's called: Coping with Anxiety, by: Edmund Bourne, Ph.D., and Lorna Garano. ISBN# 1-57224-320-1. It's a paperback, and an easy reader. She has improved very nicely.
  9. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    I had panic attacks for 10 years. Then I finally told a doctor about it and was prescribed xanax. It worked like a charm. When I stopped having them but just had general anxiety I switched to Klonipin. After a year or so I thought it was too strong and might be making me depressed so I switched to Ativan.
    They all work wonders. I have improved 100% with them. I can hardly remember the terror I felt before I was prescribed something for anxiety.
    She deserves to get relief as so many others said.
    Ziggy