Has anyone been tested for Candida?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hughestona, Oct 10, 2008.

1. hughestona

hughestona New Member

I just had a lesion removed from my tongue. No cancer--thank God! One of the doc's suspicions was Candida. However, the biopsy results were "non-specific".

I did a lot of reading about Candida, and learned that there are numerous conditions associated with it, including Fibro, arthritis, and Lupus.

As I read the symptoms, my mind went numb. I have experienced or am presently experiencing almost every symptom of Candida in its worst stages.

If not treated, it is deadly.

I have been sick for about 20+ years, but I have only been trying to find out the cause for about 5 years. I have been to many docs and had all kinds of tests--labs and pics--but to no avail. To my knowledge, I have not been tested for Candida.

I am seeing my PCP next week and asking for the blood tests.

I would be interest in hearing from anyone regarding any aspect of this topic.

I know that this will sound really melodramatic, but I am so ill that it has occurred to me that I could be dying! If I am, it is a slow and painful death.

2. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Right now I'm on Diflucan and Nystatin both concurrent with my Abx for Lyme Borreliosis. I also have CPN, Candida, EBV, Bartonella, and Babesia. As the underlying infections were eliminated I did feel lots better.
    Hang in there! Getting treatment is worth it.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I was tested as I too had all the symptoms but test came back negative. I was so hoping for something to show up in some test.

The doctor wants me off all sugar, trying to do as ordered.

God bless,

4. hughestona

hughestona New Member

Thanks for your reply.

Can you tell me anything about the diet you have followed?

What about supplements?

What about the Cleansing kits?

I will have more questions as I go along.

I appreciate your encouraging remarks.

5. hughestona

hughestona New Member

Thanks for your reply.

I have decided that I will go ahead with the cleansing and following the diet to the letter.

For some reason, I just do not trust blood work all the time. We are all too individual for these tests to hit the nail on the head, so to speak, in all cases. This is just one of my complaints about some docs. Not all of us can possibly fit the same profile on everything.

Sugar is my great downfall. If I thought that there really is such a thing as a "sweet tooth", I would have all of my teeth extracted!

Thanks for your encouraging words.

6. Catseye

Catseye Member

I finally figured out gut dysbiosis was a major problem and found an expert. He ordered a CDSA, comprehensive stool analysis. It showed 3 kinds of yeasts, among other baddies like some bacteria. Long story short, I'm improving drastically with diet change and supplements. I had a second test done and I had gotten rid of the candida in 2 months time, but I still had bad bacteria in there. They are obviously much harder to get rid of than the yeast.

For more details about the tests and supps, see my ongoing treatment thread "toxic guts, toxic body, why do a comprehensive stool analysis". First of all, don't depend on a medical doctor to be able to treat this. They only use drugs and they can't fix the guts. One of the things you are trying to fix is digestion and the includes the liver and intestines. You can't fix something with things that need to be detoxified (drugs) because you are fixing the things that are doing the detoxing and they are already "broken".

I found my expert online and we're doing everything by phone and email. It's an expensive fix, but it's working. At least, it's expensive for me because I need a ton of things. Don't waste any more money on medical doctors to treat candida. That's not what they went to school for. The gut/immune system can be treated with diet and supplements, but not by a medical doctor because they only work with drugs.

good luck

7. Shalome1990

Shalome1990 New Member

I was tested and I have it in my blood and my stool, they tested both. But, it is hard to get rid of. I worked with herbal doctors for years, diet alone is hard to kill the yeast. Well, mine it is, I have felt like crap for 20 years and after research I thought candida was my problem too. I was on a strict diet, I lost tons of weight, but the tiredness never went away. Now I am on diflucan, but I keep getting sick, so the diflucan is probably doing me no good at all.....
  8. equanimous

equanimous New Member

I honestly feel like it's a waste of time to go after the Candida directly with anti-Candida prescription drugs or OTC supplements. I have high Candida antibodies and have been on everything from SF722 to Nystatin, but never felt like they were all that helpful. I think the most important thing is to stick to a low-carb diet (especially refined sugars) and avoid allergens. All you need to do is to read the plethora of forums on Candida treatment to realize there's no easy fix.

I feel like anything that you can do to improve your health in general (including taking vitamins, supplements to improve gut health, probiotics,etc.) should be more useful to you than bombarding your body with all these anti-fungals. But this is based purely on personal experience mixed with the observation that very few people seem to ever report being "cured" of Candida by a specific drug regimen. By all means, try the anti-fungals to see if they help at all, but keep in mind that bolstering and/or balancing your immune system in any way you can is equally important.

It's my hunch that although Candida, EBV, etc. thrive in PWC, these are not the underlying problem, and although eradicating them might be useful in the short-run (if even possible), there is something more fundamentally wrong with our immune systems that will allow these infections to crop up again unless we do something to address the immune deficiency.

9. hughestona

hughestona New Member

I really appreciate everyone's replies.
    I believe, after reading about the symptoms, that I may very well be in the sepsis stage. This is really scary, especially if I have to beg for evaluation by my doctor.
    I see her tomorrow afternoon.
    Some people have to be hospitalized for treatment.
    The research says that, if left untreated, it can be deadly.
    At this time, I am very worried. I don't think I am going to make it out of this one.

10. Catseye

Catseye Member

A medical doctor can't treat candida. They'll do like they do with other stuff they can't treat - wait until you are in a crisis situation and then prescribe harsh drugs or worse. Seek out a real health expert. I found mine at becomehealthynow. I did get rid of the yeast pretty quickly, but some if it came back because I cheated a little on the diet, and I mean just a little. So if you're not avoiding all high glycemic carbs, grains and sugars, then you're feeding yeast and bad bacteria. I have to stick with just chicken, meat, eggs, fish, raw nuts and veggies.

good luck

11. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

my pcp had no care to test me for it and furthermore stated that there actually is no test available for it (Kaiser). Many docs have laughed at me for bringing it up.
    One doc, my gyno......said that "only people with immune supressing illnesses, such has AIDS need to worry or develop that"....well guess what gyno...i have CFS!

Anyways, i did the test through a naturopath and turns out i have moderate elevated levels (more than normal). +2
    Interestingly though, I know of people who have had higher elevated levels at +4 and are not nearly as sick as me.
    Soo...what does that say about Candida being the cause of many of our symptoms (whether it is secondary or not).

I have a great book on it though....it basically has every symptom we all deal with listed as a sign of yeast overgrowth.