Has anyone done the Guaifenesin Protocol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clementyne, Sep 22, 2011.

1. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I have talked to a few people about this Protocol and I finally got Dr. St. Amand's book today & have started reading it. I just a few pages in but I am pretty excited by what I'm reading.

I am not looking forward to being salicylate free as it looks as though I am going to have to change a lot of products but it that's what it takes!

I'm interested in hearing from others who are doing or have done this protocol. Mikie gave me some great info, which I appreciate so much.

One question I have is can I start the protocol before I've finished the book?

Thanks to all who take the time to answer ... I'm a little frightened because of getting worse. I sure don't want to feel worse than I already to but I am willing ...

2. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

Hi, Clementyne-

I did it from 2003 - 2006 (approximately). The only thing it did for me was keep me from getting as many sinus infections. I followed it to the 'letter of the law'. I didn't have to make many changes as I don't wear makeup. I changed my shampoo, my toothpaste, took 2 pills 2x's a day (I think, hard to remember) (purchased the pure Guai here on prohealth website).

I also got acupuncture during that time (and continued for another 2 years). I now go to a chiropractor and am on a gluten-free diet. I recommend reading either or both of:
    Celiacs Disease: A Hidden Epidemic by Peter HR Green & Rory Jones OR The Gluten Connection by Shari Lieberman. I have been gluten-free for a month now, have just started to lose weight and my muscles deep down don't hurt as much. Muscles feel more relaxed. I'm believing it's the gluten causing the gel like lumps in our bodies.

Again, I've only been gluten-free for a month and other than the costs of gluten-free products that I buy (crackers, pasta, pizza and bread) it's really not hard. You don't have to buy these products. To find gluten-free choices at restaurants, I google the name of a restaurant such as Olive Garden along with "gluten-free" and find the choices they have. They have a special menu and the price is the same as the 'regular' menu choices. There are choices at Wendys where I go when I'm in a hurry.

I forgot to mention when I first posted this...I couldn't follow his diet. Since I suffer w/depression, I got "Adkin's Syndrome" from going low-carb. I haven't had this with the gluten-free diet as I still have sugar in my diet.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2011]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know that there are many people here now who have tried the Guai Protocol. People who have not been successful on the protocol seem to post more than those for whom it succeeded. Those who have been helped seem to move on once they are doing well. I think if you go to the sites where people are doing the protocol and doing well on it, you will find more answers, help and support.

There are VERY sensitive people who fail because of hidden sals in their regimen. I think I mentioned in another post that one woman was getting sals by walking outside barefoot on the grass. Most of us aren't that sensitive; it varies among people. What has convinced me is that group I visited up in Zepherhills, FL where everyone in the group was doing well. They had a doc who was knowledgable in the protocol and someone who devoted herself to ensuring that the members were sal free.

That's not to say that there haven't been those who were sal free and still failed. I believe that Dr. St. Amand's theory isn't the whole story. I believe the Guai works, or doesn't work, for additional reasons than those theorized by the good doctor.

You don't have to wait to do the protocol until you read the entire book but I didn't start until I read it all, some parts several times; understood it; and was sal free. As exciting as the idea of reversing FMS symptoms is, it dashes one's hopes if one fails. It's especially important to understand how to find one's dose. Try to avoid rushing things as harsh Guai flares can make one not want to do the protocol. This is a long-term process and if the dose isn't adequate, nothing will happen. It's wise to start out slowly and slowly increase the dose, if necessary.

Love, Mikie

Love, Mikie
  4. pastorwife

pastorwife Member

And if I remember right, in the beginning, you might feel worse before you feel better. Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes for you. Like most things with FMS, there isn't one fix that works for everyone.
  5. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I think you are right that we don't yet know the whole story. I think it will be a long time coming but I believe it is coming ... just not in my lifetime :/ !

Are you still doing the protocol? If I remember correctly(fat chance!)you had a good outcome from it.

Another ? I have is if your Dr. was supportive. I am very unhappy with my Dr. now. I feel like he doesn't believe this is real. He is a runner & thinks I just need to lose weight & exercise. I walk, hike and take care of kids for a living, I do get exercise everyday but 'working out' is not an option & neither is running. And I do need to lose weight but I generally only eat one meal a day already, I don't know why it is so hard for me to lose. Anyway, I said all that to say that I am hesitant to mention this to him.

Thanks for the info!

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

PastorWife, you are right, the Guai flares mean it's working and they can make one feel worse before it gets better. I'm sorry the protocol didn't work for you.

Clementyne, I think it would be better if you could find a doc who, at least, believes in FMS. You can do the protocol without the help of a doc but there may be other things you will need help for and if this doc doesn't even believe in FMS, he may be far less likely to help you. A good doc doesn't just limit his treatment options to exercise and diet. If you had cancer, would he just dismiss you with advice to exercise? His attitude means he places his stubborn biases above helping you or even trying to understand what ails you. If you believe he is worth keeping for other reasons, by all means, keep him but you might be pleasantly surprised at how much better it is to have a doc willing to work with FMS as a "real" condition. My first doc knew nothing about FMS but he was willing to learn and he accepted it as a real condition.

Oops, sorry, I didn't answer your question about whether the Guai worked for me. Yes, and I consider myself reversed. I take a maintenace dose of 400 mgs. twice a day now to stay ahead of the debris buildup. If I get run down or injured, however, the pain will return to the tender points until I feel better. The old tender points are like old injuries. They may seem to be healed but are vulnerable. Most of the time, I am dealing with the symptoms of Sjogren's as my FMS and CFIDS/ME were under control until the SS came along. One good reason to get the FMS reversed is that we often acquire other related conditions.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  7. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I don't plan to keep him but because of our insurance, I am somewhat limited. I saw the P.A. for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago and I liked her very much. I have another appointment with her in a couple of weeks & I plan to feel her out. If she can help me that would be great and if she can't maybe she can guide me to a better Dr.

The thing is, my Dr. doesn't SAY he doesn't believe in FMS but I diagnosed myself! I now know that all the tests that came back negative are pretty typical with FMS. And all the symptoms that I told him about that I now know are also typical of FMS. And he has this way of making me feel like I got caught fibbing or something. Or like I want to hurt & be so tired that getting up to go to the bathroom seems too much effort.

Sorry for gypping! It's just the more I read the madder I get! Mad at myself too, because I think I halfway believed that I might be lazy & weak & a hypochondriac! I'm mad that I let him make me not trust myself enough to know that I wouldn't make up a bunch of symptoms that I had never ever heard of before!

Thank you Pastorwife, how does your gluten free diet effect your pain level? I plan to do some research to see what I can find out.