Has anyone else been diagnosed w/Hypothroidism?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by artseyone, Jan 28, 2006.

1. artseyone

artseyone New Member

Hi All,
    I was diagnosed w/Hypothyoidism 4 months ago..I'm reading a book called: Living Well w/Hypothroidism and find everyone of the symptoms are the same as those for FMS of which I was diagnosed w/20 yrs. ago. Since then I've also been diagnosed w/CFS too...
    What am I supposed to think?
    I take TSH 3 and TSH 4 compounded at a special pharmacy..
    Anyone else has this problem?
  2. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

artseyone ... many of us are hypothyroid .. and a lot of us have Hashimoto's as I do .. I take Synthroid but have tried to go down in doseage .. won't know until the blood tests come back to see if the levels are ok ..
    My thyroid was diagnosed BEFORE this fibromyalgia .. then the mytrel valve prolaps .. but tinnitus popped up in between that .. the list just seems to grow every year ..
    AGAIN .. I have NOT heard of anyone having ONLY fibromyalgia !! .. there are always tag along conditions.
    Fudge : )
  3. kjfms

kjfms Member

....Hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's, I had FMS for several years before TD (Thyroid Disease), a lot of the symptoms do overlap but I did not have any hair loss or tinnitus until the TD.

What do you mean by a "special pharmacy"?

Best of luck,

Karen
  4. Manina

Manina New Member

Yep I do! I take 112 mcg of levothyroxine. I had a T T in 1999 at age 49 for Papillary Cancer.
    I had complaind about feeling lifless and pain all over my body for 7 years prior to this.
    The Fib was diagnosed about four years ago, but I am sure the thyroid has a lot to do with all of this.
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

I have hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's. This didn't start until I had suffered with CFS/FM for 9 yrs. I take Synthroid (T4) and Cytomel (T3). I have just doubled the T3 dose to see if I can get more energy. No results yet.

This seems to be a very common problem with PWC although a lot of people seem to be helped with the thyroid meds. So far I haven't.

I hope that the bioidentical hormones help you. I cannot find a physician to even prescribe bioidentical hormones for me.

Pepper
  6. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I have Hashimoto's!
    Even though my tests are usally fine or within range, I stay symtomatic, so on this my Dr. and I disagree!
    Take care~Karen
  7. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I have Hashimoto's as well but no treatment as I am told the labs are good. But I do think it is just a matter of time. My mother has hypothyroidism and a host of heart problems. Even though I do have symptoms of hypothyroidism, It is hard to argue if the labs look fine. I guess similar symptoms may be caused by something else.
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I've had it since I was 9 years old. I'm 56 now. I was on Cytomel at first and then a doc switched me to Synthroid around 1980. About 2000 or so I asked to go back on Cytomel and have been on that ever since.

Also I am now being treated by my endocrinologist instead of the family doc who thought a TSH at 5.5 was normal. Now I'm running a TSH around .5.

Can't say I feel any better though. I'm still find it really hard to lose weight.
    I need to lose a lot I have gained by quitting exercising due to FMS and the pain.

Hugs,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2006]
  9. Juloo

Juloo Member

I read too fast, and I thought your book was "Living Hell with Hypothyroidism"!

I take T3.
  10. elsa

elsa New Member

Very common in people with CFS/FMS. Many of us have a problem converting T4 into the usable, active T3. Instead we will convert T4 into reverse T3 which is useless. Some doctors also refer to this as thyroid resistant.

I take compounded T3 and am still working on finding my optimum dose. Even so, some of the symptoms of hypothyroid went away almost immediately .... first that comes to mind is the diffuse hair loss. That stopped overnight.

I am taking 100mcgs first thing in the AM on an empty stomach and take a second dose ... 50mcgs ... between 1 and 2pm.

My temperature is not regulated yet, but getting closer. Spends more time in the 97.something range then lower. Having said that when I took my temp about thirty minutes ago it was 96.7.

Synthroid wouldn't work for me as it doesn't have any T3 in it ... only has synthetic T4 .... which would not help me.

The goal of my doctor's hypothyroid treatment is to be sign and symptom free with no tissue over-stimulation. We increase my T3 dose slowly ... I record everything I am feeling, what my day is like, what levels are the symptoms and take my temp several times a day.

Much, much improved but not there yet. This is where having a very knowledgable CFS/FMS, integrated MD who understands how our endocrine system is effected by CFS/FMS .... including the thyroid gland ... and also understands how to use the latest studies/technologies to treat us. I am more thankful for him then I know how to say.

For alittle FYI .... or interesting findings .... T3 and osteoporosis .... Studies done in the early 80's followed T3 patients for one year and found bone turn-over. From this they concluded T3 causes osteoporosis.

Subsequent studies (five I believe) in the 90's followed T3 patients for 5 years. They found that the increase in bone turn-over was not associated with a decrease in bone density, nor the developement of osteoporosis.

As these patients participated in follow ups after the study, in general they had bone density above that for their age and sex.

I thought that was interesting .... Also Dr.Teitlebaum has studied this as well .... pretty much came up with the same thing. However, he did add if a patient presents with osteoporosis and hypothyroid, to make sure their estrogen, DHEA and testosterone are at optimal levels during T3 treatment.

Take care,

Elsa

11. elsa

elsa New Member