has anyone else had cfids and cancer??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mermaid, Dec 8, 2002.

1. mermaid

mermaid New Member

Hi. I'm new to the messageboard and am trying to find out what I can expect from my body after having had chemotherapy while having had cfids for 10 years. I know it's different for everyone, but connecting with someone who has had the same experience would be helpful. At this point, three months after chemo, I can't seem to gauge AT ALL what my body can and can't do. I was able to do that to some extent before the chemo. It's very frustrating and a little scary. Can anyone tell what I might expect or where I can get some information about this? Can't seem to find anything on the web, and the doctors aren't much help. Thanks so much!
  2. mermaid

mermaid New Member

Hi. I'm new to the messageboard and am trying to find out what I can expect from my body after having had chemotherapy while having had cfids for 10 years. I know it's different for everyone, but connecting with someone who has had the same experience would be helpful. At this point, three months after chemo, I can't seem to gauge AT ALL what my body can and can't do. I was able to do that to some extent before the chemo. It's very frustrating and a little scary. Can anyone tell what I might expect or where I can get some information about this? Can't seem to find anything on the web, and the doctors aren't much help. Thanks so much!
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

You will get info, I don't know how to help you but I am sure someone will, have you tried the cancer board here??

Be patient and you will get responses.

Take care,
    Jaci
  4. mermaid

mermaid New Member

thanks for replying to my post, jaci. I haven't tried the cancer board...thanks for that suggestion, and for caring.
    Mermaid
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

If I am prying, just ignore me please!
    I am aware of research showing that people who have had CFIDS for ten yrs. or more are much more prone to four specific types of cancer, three of which are very rare. They are: Myoglioblastoma, cancer of the salivary glands, Burkett's Lymphoma, and non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. The last one is supposed to hit CFIDS patients 40 times more than the general population. Luckily, many advances in treatment have been made, and non-Hodgkins Lymphoma can be cured in many cases now.
    Would you mind sharing what type of cancer you had?
    I hope I have not offended, and I am truly sorry if I have. I am always trying to learn more about these illnesses and don't mean to run roughshod over your feelings.
    I know there are some cancer survivor support boards on the web. Have you tried those?
    take care,
    Klutzo
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Please, anyone have any info for our friend mermaid here?

Jaci
  7. mermaid

mermaid New Member

Klutzo,
    I don't mind your asking at all. I had ovarian and uterine, two separate cancers at the same time. Thankfully, both were in stage I, a rarity for ovarian. My prognosis is good. However, the CFIDS issue adds a twist that leaves me in seemingly uncharted territory, which is why I'm trying to find someone who has had a similar experience. I will try the cancer message board.
    It's good to have the information you gave me about the specific cancers we are vulnerable to after ten years, although scary! Knowledge is power, though, so I will discuss it with my doctor.
    I was actually at nine years with CFIDS when I was diagnosed, and passed my tenth anniversary just after I fininshed chemo. I suppose six months doesn't really make that much difference. However, I had been taking growth hormone as a CFIDS treatment, and my oncologist thinks it probably fed the cancer. I was warned of this possibility before I started the GH, but we all think we're immune (pardon the pun), don't we?!
    Take care,
    Mermaid