has anyone ever been hurt by working with horses:

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tambourinekid77, Jul 13, 2003.

1. tambourinekid77

tambourinekid77 New Member

hello my sister in-law used to work with horses & one time she got kicked by a horse.& once she rode on a horse & she fell off & got hurt has that ever happen to anyone at all?
  2. zestytx

zestytx New Member

ABout 40 years ago. Broke my tail bone and probably fractures some vertebrae .. xrays of my spine are scary deal! Lots of bone spurs and holes in the bone.
  3. NancyNY

NancyNY New Member

I had a horse rear up on my, loose her balance and flip over on top of me, I was kicked by one and also had one throw her head back and smack me in the face, spliting open my nose.

Reading all that I wonder why I enjoyed riding so much...LOL
  4. mitch123

mitch123 New Member

My post horse war scars are, a broken wrist, and stitches to my face, this was 10 years ago, it didn't even bother me, I think anyone whos been riding has an accident tale to share!
    mitch
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2003]
  5. franners

franners New Member

When I was a teenager I was riding my sisters horse seeing if I wanted to trade... Whiskey took me for a ride alright.. Never figured out if she saw something or what, but something spooked her.. She bolted and I was even unable to turn her in a circle, there was no stopping her.. That is till she decided to make a sudden turn/stop all at once.. Off I went (remember back then tube tops were all the rage) came down and this took my tube top top my waist.. Was VERY embarrissing, but all I suffered physically was a few bumps and bruises....
  6. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

It's bound to happen if you own a horse long enough. I've been thrown and kicked. I've been fortunate not to have had any broken bones. My sister has been off several times, had concusions, etc. Once she had a horse rear up and roll onto her breaking her ankle and several ribs. That left her pretty banged up. The doctors were surprised she wasn't more seriously hurt. Since that last incident she has had more intense pain and s/s of FMS. She has not formally been diagnosed, but she is just like me.
  7. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I've had many....one including a cracked hip when a horse fell on me. I've pretty much wrecked my back hauling hay, pulling big horses around, halter training babies, etc.... I had no idea that at the time I was setting myself up for future problems.

Marilyn :)
  8. tambourinekid77

that is also what happen to my sister in law too.& now from that she has horrible arthiritis from that ok.
  9. tambourinekid77

maybe because they are beautyful aninmals ok.
  10. tambourinekid77

well yes ok.but they are beautiful animals aren't they too hugh.
  11. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I was on my horse and she took off and ran me into a big wooden post. My shoulder hit the post hard enough to knock me to the ground. I still have a big scar on my shoulder, haha! It did hurt bad, but I never went to the doctor for it. I now have 3 horses, they are a lot of fun, most of the time!
    Kellyann
  12. garlinbarb

garlinbarb New Member

Like Marilyn, I wrecked my back working with the horses but never by a horse. I used to throw a hundred lb bag of feed on my shoulder and carry it up in the loft of the barn.

Saddles, hay, feed , shoeing all are hard work.

I had a goat tree me once, does that count?

No wonder people in undeveloped countries age so quickly. Everything has to be done manually. Diseases,injuries, poor nutrition really reck havoc! Not to mention the 'war lord' types that maKE LIFE EXTRA HARD.
    Sorry, I got off subject!
    Barb
  13. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

When my late father was a young man(hewould have been 92 this month), he was kicked by a horse. Father's leg was broken and had problems with his leg periodically for rest of his life.
  14. Hoss

Hoss New Member

well, being new to the board, new to fm, i am not new to horses.
    Been kicked, dumped, stomped, rolled on, and various other things. Finally at 51 gave them up. But not the love of them
    I miss them so very much. Fm has really messed up my life. it wasn't horses, ( at least i don't think so, that gave me fm, it was man)
    thanks to all who are like me for the words of hope
  15. horsegal

horsegal New Member

Like Hoss, I'm horsegal and that has to be a clue. If a person works with horses, it's not if, it's when. I have too many things to list here. Indirectly....I was washing my horse trailer and fell off a ladder which resulted in a torn rotator cuff and that was the beginning of my FM. I had surgery for it twice in 2 years and after the 2nd surgery FM hit me hard. Though looking back, I have had many symptoms for several years. IBS, headaches, neck and back pain (which x-rays never showed any cause like arthritis etc). Trouble sleeping....the list goes on. After the surgery...total body pain hit and the fatigue was something like....I felt as though I was trying to carry around an extra 300 lbs.

This thread should probably end here and move to the chit chat message board. (say this from prior experience :>)! )
  16. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I have been tossed,thrown and a couple really wierd accidents. But as said any one around a horse probably have a horse story.

I think they are beautiful animals, miss riding. Just have to respect them sort of like the ocean, is pretty, but dangerous if not on guard.