HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THE GUAIFENISEN PROTOCOL FOR FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vacrow, Dec 11, 2005.

1. vacrow

vacrow New Member

Has anyone on this post ever done the "guai" protocol for FM/CFS? This program was discovered by Dr. St. Amand in CA who also has FM as does his children and wife.

I was wondering what results you had and if you thought it worked.

Your input would be very helpful.

Vickie in AL
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Here on Guai and Guaifenesin. We have posted a lot about this treatment over the years and you should find a lot of info in our posts. You can go to Guaidoc.com and find more info. If you do the treatment, it is necessary to get the book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia."

I've been on the treatment for 4 1/2 years and my FMS symptoms are about 90 percent reversed. It has been a God send. Now, if I could just find something so effective for my CFIDS...

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  3. Megumi

Megumi New Member

A doctor started me on Mucinex over a year ago for severe lung congestion after pnemonia. I was the one who noticed a difference in my FM pain, although I didn't know why. I started the "protocal" myself before I'd even heard about it!! This past summer I had to go a couple of weeks without it (was in an area where none was available) and the difference was too profound not to notice. Yep, I would say that for me it works!!

Good luck
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I've been doing this since August. Do make sure you use a recommended form of Guai - I started off on one that doesn't work, which was very expensive as I have to import it. As Mikie says, it's important to stick rigidly to the book.The protocol requires a lot of self discipline as reverse cycling your symptoms is not easy. The correct dosage makes your symptoms tolerably worse.

Since starting doing it properly in August, I have more energy and less fogginess. I think it will take about four years to reverse my symptoms. The protocol is for life - if you stop doing it, the phosphates start to buid up again.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are very sensitive to sals (explained in the book) and the Guai will not work if there is even a hint of sals in their supplements, meds, or personal-care items. Others, like me, can tolerate a few sals, and a very few people don't seem to be affected by them. It is important in the beginning to eliminate all sals to get off on the right foot. Many failures of the protocol are caused by hidden sals in sensitive people.

I believe the Guai works for more reasons than just the phosphate debris but there will likely never be controlled studies on it. There is no money to be made from it. The company did try to monopolize it by putting it into OTC Mucinex but it is available again in pure form OTC. I got a rash from the nasty blue/green coloring in the mucinex. The 400 mg. white pills I bought here work better than any other form I have tried. It is the fast-acting type.

COSTCO has 220 tablets for $5.29. They are 400 mgs. but are dyed blue. I haven't tried them yet, so I don't know whether the dye will bother me. It's not as dark a blue as the Mucinex. The rash I got from the Mucinex did go away over time.

My Fibro Fog almost immediately cleared up when I started the Guai. I still had cognitive problems but stopped feeling as though I were walking around in pea soup fog. I started out with 300 mgs. twice a day and have a Guai flare and then some good hours and a few good days. I continually increased the dose until I was taking 2400 mgs. a day. I had been sick with FMS a long time and knew it would take a lot of Guai and a lot of time to reverse. Each time, I had a big initial flare. I'm now on a maintenance dose of 400 mgs. twice a day. I may add another 400 mgs. just to see whether this is the right dose. It's possible I would feel better. One has to tweak the dose when coming down as well as when starting out.

This is about the only treatment which offers the possibility of reversing the symptoms of FMS. It is well worth trying if one can commit to it and be patient.

Love, Mikie
  6. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

600mg LA in the morning and at night and 200mg FA at each meal. I get a lot of pain relief. just recently i ran out and thought i would just eliminate it, but within 2 weeks my pain was much worse and some fluid retention. i am not following the whole protocol--avoiding salicylites--but my doc happens to think it works in a different manner. maybe it depends on the person. jen102