Has anyone ever gotten SSDI approval on 1st try WITH a lawyer?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cinderbug, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I 'm afraid that I feel very cynical about the Social Security Disability Representative I signed a contract with at my doctor's advice. I just applied for SSDI two months ago with his help and I have had the feeling through the entire process that he is not trying to get me approved on the 1st attempt. In fact he told me right off the bat "This will take 22 months" even before he knew my diagnosises of CFS,and Fibro. When I try to send him other test results or other doctors I've seen he says,"we don't need that yet".

So what I would really like to know is has anyone been approved on 1st attempt with representation? I may be so wrong about this but I would certainly feel better if I knew someone had.

I know they need us to have over $20,000 worth of back pay before they can get their maximum benifit of $5300 if they can only get 25% by law.
    Thank you in advance for any replies,
    Cindy
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I've seen a quadriplegic even turned down the first time, but I've seen others get it the first time, twice with a lawyer but don't think that's the reason; I know one person was considered generally 'paranoid' and he was a cop, so it was best for him to be disabled ASAP.

But I think overall it is just the quixotic way it works... depends on who looks at it and how they're feeling that day honestly!

There have been a few here too who have gotten it without a lawyer and, I think, on the first try... but yes, it is rare! that is what your doctor is probably preparing you for.

all the best, and good luck!
    Victoria

3. swac

swac New Member

Cindy,
    My husband got his SSDI on the first time without a lawyer, also my sister in law got it the 1st time without one. It took me two times to get it, and I did it without a lawyer.
    But mine took 3 years, where my husbands and sister-in-law took less than a year. (Both of theirs was due to Heart problems)

Hopes this helps some,.

SWAC
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

If you've just applied. Expect to be turned down twice then you will get a court date it is here that you get to have your say or your lawyers.

Always reapply

Dan
  5. mindbender

mindbender New Member

6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

My brother applied on his own in July and was approved in late October. I was very surprised because I read here many people have problems.

I had the impression people try the first time without a attorney, maybe I am wrong...

Why would your doctor be referring you to a attorney? Did you ever try to apply yourself first?
  7. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I appreciate all of your applies. I just have a strong feeling I might have done better on my own without the rep. I almost feel he is working against me. I went ahead and got him before I ever tryed myself.

This is sch a nice board to be on with such nice responses.
    THANK YOU
  8. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I did a lot of research on how to apply and talked to a lawyer before I applied. I also requested an "in person" interview instead of an "over the phone" interview because I am hearing impaired. Hubby came with me to the interview to help me with the brain fog.

I was approved in 2 months! Maybe it was that I'm 56 years old and have so many things wrong with me, I don't know. But it went very smoothly. I also had 3 different docs whom all wrote great letters supporting my case and they kept great medical records on me over the past 10 years while I slowly fell apart.
    Wishing you all the best!
    Mini
  9. johnston

johnston New Member

rules are lesss stringent for 50 and over. Here I am to be FORTY-NINE in January........always missing "the proverbial boat"...............Good luck! Thanks for the posting yielding such great and helpful responses! Rhonda
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I have CFS and won SSDI benefits on my first appeal, without hiring a lawyer or appearing before a judge. I have a doctor who wrote me a terrific letter of testimony and I had a list much like Swedeboy's.

[This Message was Edited on 11/06/2006]
  11. beeleaf

beeleaf New Member

If you haven't been turned down yet, how would a lawyer help? Just curious.

I was approved on first try at age 41. It wasn't for FMS, though, as that hadn't been dx'd yet. Nearly everybody in the world told me you can't get approved if you're under 50, everybody gets turned down, etc. Obviously none of them had a crystal ball. ;~)

Another thing they look at is what kind of work you did the longest & your education level. I have little more than a HS education & my longest and second longest jobs both required use of my entire body & the ability to lift stuff. I'm guessing those were important factors to the SS onlookers.

FWIW, I did the phone interview & went to see their doctors twice.[This Message was Edited on 11/06/2006]
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

over 50, it is definitely easier to get, even the lawyer told us that. When one is a teen or early 20s, it's difficult - my son is trying as he has not been able to work, has chronic lyme. He was turned down the first time despite psych evaluation and detailed reports from lyme doctor and detailed narrative report done by me. But like someone said, there are a lot of factors...

Also I've heard it takes longer in the surrounding states close to Louisiana because of Katrina victims... they are overwhelmed and at least in Georgia, haven't hired any more help to get thru the claims... average wait time for 1st appeal is 2.5 years.

all the best,
    Victoria

13. zerosb3

zerosb3 New Member

but it wasn't based on FM or CFS. As a matter of fact, it's been 7 years now, and I have come up for my 1st review. I'm more nervous now than I was the first time, even though I have a lot more wrong with me.

zerosb3
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2006]
  14. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

It was interesting to hear all of your replies. Thanks to every one of you!
    Good luck with your review zerosb3 .
  15. cjpwash

cjpwash New Member

I got it on the first try without a lawyer. My neurologist and GP must have done a heck of a job on their reports. Either that or I'm a lot sicker than I thought!