Has anyone ever had Pneumonia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjade, Jan 23, 2010.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

I just got out of the hospital a couple days ago. I have a severe case of pneumonia....I have been very sick for almost 2 weeks now.

It started with really bad chills/shaking uncontrollably, and a slight fever. I spent an entire day in bed, unable to get out of bed because I was in so much pain. I thought I had the flu, until I dragged myself to the Dr the next day. They took an x-ray and told me my left lung was really bad. Well, it is my left side that is so painful.

Once I developed the cough, I noticed the pain in my back/shoulder/rib kept getting worse and worse. When I would start coughing, the searing pain would cause me to be unablt to breathe. It has been horrible!! The pain is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life (next to childbirth). Nothing has helped that pain at all. I tried ice, heating pads, meds....nothing worked.

So when I was in the hospital and the Drs/nurses were trying to listen to my lungs, they would tell me to take a deep breath, which of course I couldn't. And when I tried the pain would just become so intense. The day I was admitted, I couldn't even talk to them because of the pain. They had me on Vicodin and Morphine, but every time I coughed I felt like someone was stabbing me right in the back. Awful. The Dr explained that the pain was caused by the pneumonia (he explained in Drs terms, which I don't remember exactly, but it made sense).

My question is....I have Fibro, and I am wondering if my pain was much more severe than normal because of the FM? I got the feeling that the nurses & Drs thought that my pain level should not have been that bad. One nurse mentioned muscle spasms, which makes sense, because with all of the coughing, I am sure I could've pulled a muscle. I overheard one nurse giving her report to the next nurse, and she said that I am in a lot of pain from a muscle spasm. Even though the Dr said pain is from pneumonia.

I am still getting the pain, but just not as severe. I think this is finally clearing up. But when I sleep, I still cough, and wake up with that searing pain. Like nothing I have ever felt before. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

The mother of a friend of mine ended up in hospital just after Christmas with pneumonia. It was the pain that was the worst part of it for her. She really didn't think she was going to make it at one point. Thankfully, she is recovered and back at home now.

Sadly, my B-I-L's brother passed away two weeks ago after not being able to recover from pneumonia that he got in December. He also had other health conditions, and it was just too much for his body to handle. He was only 43 years of age.

I was hospitalized for pneumonia back when I was five years old, however, I also had tonsilitis at the same time. Funny thing though was that they didn't remove my tonsils which was the norm back in the 60s. As to pain from coughing while having pneumonia; the truth is I don't really remember much about that time except that it was Easter and the Easter bunny brought me a huge basket of eggs at the hospital :) Also when I got home from the hospital, a bunch of the relatives back in England also sent me Easter candy which they normally didn't do.

Hope you are feeling better soon, Kjade!
  3. kjade

kjade New Member

Thanks very much for replying. I am so sorry to hear a couple of you know someone who has dies from this. I know it can be VERY dangerous, especially if other health conditions are present.

I have heard now from a couple of people that once you have pneumonia, you can get it again much easier. Anyone know why that is? It is rather scary for me, because I get bronchitis and/or sinusitis at least 4 times a year. It usually happens because my kids will come home with some little virus (that they will recover from very quickly) and I will get it, and then I get an infection that requires antibiotics. I developed allergies (pretty bad) over the last 5 yrs or so, and I am wondering if that makes this worse for me.

My mother also developed allergies when she was my age, and then she got asthma in her 40's. I am praying I don't also get ashtma when I am in my 40's, like she did.

I am wondering if my immune system is so weak because of Fibro. I have always been very healthy and very strong my entire life. So it concerns me greatly that I have been getting sick so much over the last 5 yrs or so. Jamin, I do have GSE (which I purchased awhile ago per your recommendation) and I think I will finally start taking it to help boost my immune system. I think because I have little kids, I am much more susceptible to viruses because they always seem like they are catching some little cold. DH never gets sick though. (he is a lot healthier that I am).

My Dr told me yesterday that it will take about 6-8 wks to fully recover from this. That scares me because I have 4 kids and a FT job, and I am already exhausted all of the time, even without being sick. I don't know how I am going to manage everything when I am this tired and short of breath. Also, I am still getting severe pains at night in my back shoulder or rib (it seems to move to a different place every night). The Dr explained that is from the nerves due to pleurisy, which I still son't completely understand.

I am still wondering if Fibro is making this pain much worse. Could that be possible? Because I have so much trouble sleeping at night due to that pain - it jolts me awake when I cough, and then I can't get back to sleep because it hurts too much.
  4. rocky76

rocky76 Member

I have had P four times and its horrible....
    I wouldn't wish that on anyone...
    Take care of yourself....
    The first time I had it I coughed so hard I broke
    3 ribs....
    And I still had to work and then I got water
    around my heart and I was bed ridden for 3 months
    with 2 toddlers....that was 30 years ago.....
    and it was so bad I still remember the pain...
  5. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I posted on the other site, the one you have on the chitchat message boards about this.

Yep, I get pneumonia, but its been a lot less since I've been taking both allergy meds and vitamins, particularly Vit. C, and using Albuterol for my allergies as well, as I get rubbery balls of phlemg that I cough up a lot. These things have slowed down my rate of lung infections. I do have to quit smoking though, but I have cut back to half a pack or less a day.

Fight :)
  6. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

I have actually had both,.

When I was 16 I viral pneum. and it was probably what set of the mono. Nasty bit of hacking your head off when all you meant to do was breath.

Second was when I was 38, I got bacterial pneum. that one was the VERY VERy worst. It started out as a flue any mother taking care of four teenagers and a diasable child would right, WPRONG,, THe first three days I thought it was just flue hitting me for being so physically depressed. My younges had just gone through hip surgery, with two weeks at the childres Hospitlal and then bring him home for six weeks in a spika cast (the one where your baby is layd out spread eagle up to his wasis, down to his ankles, and a towbar thing in the middle to carry hime around in. STREssSIUTJsstkjrtarresfsdfj fSTRESS, I'll give you stress. So in the middle of th fun I'm thinking is just the flue, I can tough it out thru the flue I a MOM for the love of Pete. Three days in and numerous orthodontist appt. in the earyly am three I think it was, I finally collapse and oh hey MOM???? is there somehting wrong with you???????
    Trip to the emerge care but a dear hubby as he doesn't think I'm bad enough to take of work for. So she drops me off and leaves me, bless her she has eight kids of her own to care for so Kev has to pick me up. He come to get me and we can't leave for another hour becuse I'm too amamzing dehydrated. Imagine that. The exrays were horrid, he wasnt sure how I could breath, anyway the lube up enough to send me home with a massive does of Rybaxin, metal mouth. He has the audactiy to say, "Wow, you really were sick" I look at him with the biggest DUH face I can muster. next day the hacking, barking like a seal starts, the productive coughs don't start for a day or so. I was thinkin' just kiss me goodby now It's been reat knowing you, see you on the other side. Wahhhoooooo I'm out here, see you on the othe side.
    No such luck, 12 years later and oh look Here I am. Rotten. Luck. wake me up if a cure comes along in the next 5 years, I'll take my cell phone, barring tht I'll take a cowbell.

Best to you all,